A few questions about lye water substitution...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lelê

Reaction score
Hi guys! Due to outside circumstances, I couldn't make my first batch yet. :( But now I'm finally ready to! *yay*

I apologize in advance for the über newbie questions... :oops:

1- If I substitute the water (for the lye) for any other liquid, can I add the same amount the original recipe requests?

2- When do I know which liquids have components enough to make me reformulate the recipe?

3- On this recipe I'm making (from Alicia Grosso's book), she asks for 2.4 oz of lye and 6 oz of water (for the 1lb batch). Could I change that water for 50% lavender infusion/50% oatmeal milk? Will I have to change measurements in any way?

While I've been reading about soap making for a while, I'm trying to figure it out soapcal without success.... :(

Thank you SO much in advance!

Lelê said:
Hi guys! Due to outside circumstances, I couldn't make my first batch yet. :( But now I'm finally ready to! *yay*

1- If I substitute the water (for the lye) for any other liquid, can I add the same amount the original recipe requests? All the recipes I have seen say to use the same amount as you would water. I made some with another liquid and used the same amount as the recipe called for

2- When do I know which liquids have components enough to make me reformulate the recipe? Im not sure what you are asking here. Its been a loongg day today. lol. sorry

3- On this recipe I'm making (from Alicia Grosso's book), she asks for 2.4 oz of lye and 6 oz of water (for the 1lb batch). Could I change that water for 50% lavender infusion/50% oatmeal milk? Will I have to change measurements in any way? I dont think so, but a more experienced soaper can confirm this

While I've been reading about soap making for a while, I'm trying to figure it out soapcal without success.... :( I use this one. http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/SoapCalc.asp and I put in the % of oils I want to use, then hit "compute recipe" and scroll down to see the oz of water, lye, and oils to use. It took me a few days to really get it

CupcakeKisses said:
Lelê said:

1- If I substitute the water (for the lye) for any other liquid, can I add the same amount the original recipe requests? All the recipes I have seen say to use the same amount as you would water. I made some with another liquid and used the same amount as the recipe called for

2- When do I know which liquids have components enough to make me reformulate the recipe? Im not sure what you are asking here. Its been a loongg day today. lol. sorry

3- On this recipe I'm making (from Alicia Grosso's book), she asks for 2.4 oz of lye and 6 oz of water (for the 1lb batch). Could I change that water for 50% lavender infusion/50% oatmeal milk? Will I have to change measurements in any way? I dont think so, but a more experienced soaper can confirm this

While I've been reading about soap making for a while, I'm trying to figure it out soapcal without success.... :( I use this one. http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/SoapCalc.asp and I put in the % of oils I want to use, then hit "compute recipe" and scroll down to see the oz of water, lye, and oils to use. It took me a few days to really get it

good advice, and no you wouldnt have to modify the recipe to use an herbal infusion or milk or any other liquid so long as it doesnt saponify (ie contain oils).

for soapcalc. try just 100% of one oil and seeing what happens to the numbers, then try two and work up from there...it just takes a lot of pluggin in. dont get intimidated...i was there at one point, just takes a little concentration and youll get it down!

also check this thread if you havent already.

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3515

You guys are the best! I'm (if all finally works out) working on this tomorrow!

Cupcakekisses ~ The odds are I didn't express myself correctly, trust me.... :D :oops: What I meant was: If I use a fatty liquid, like cow's milk or goat's milk, will I have to consider this when deciding the amount of lye? Or maybe I can use this extra fat as the super fattening agent...?

Never mind this question, though...I still have a long way to go before I play with those things... :lol:

IanT ~ wonderful link! I'm checking it right now!

Thank you so much, guys!

Lelê said:
If I use a fatty liquid, like cow's milk or goat's milk, will I have to consider this when deciding the amount of lye? Or maybe I can use this extra fat as the super fattening agent...?

It depends on if you like your lather to be either more bubbly, or more creamy. I do goat milk soaps quite often, substituting 1/3 goat milk for part of my total liquid amount. As long as I keep the goat milk as only 1/3 of my total liquid amount, I find I never have to change my usual lye amount. My lather in those soaps always has a nice balance of bubbly to creamy. On the other hand, if I use 100% goat milk for my total liquid amount, I find the extra fat kills the bubbles too much for me, and so what I'll do is I'll up my lye amount by 1% or 2% from my normal default level to compensate. HTH!

IrishLass :)

Back