A few problems with quality ...can anyone help?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovefish

Reaction score
Hello to everyone at the forum,

I am fairly new to melt and pour soap making and have come up against a few problems.

I made a batch with a melt and pour base (which I have specified at the end) which I added some calendula flowers, some dried bits of orange peel and sweet orange, grapefruit and lime essential oils which gave the base a slight orangy color (without adding anything specific to color the base). At the time the soap smelt and looked great.

That was about a month ago and now the smell of the soap is a lot less intense and doesn't even smell that nice anymore, even though it has been kept wrapped in cling film (seran wrap) the whole time.

One of the soaps that has been used and has been kept by the basin, it now appears the base of the soap (the part that is often damp when sitting) has almost lost the colour it once had and has turned almost white. While the top of the soap (with the peel etc) has turned mushy!

Another batch where I added only lemon grass, lime EO and desiccated coconut has turned brown where the coconut sits in the soap.

Have I done something wrong somewhere along the line? Any advise would be appreciated!!

The soap base I used was Crystal, Eco Palm Free, Clear (The ingredients are Glycerine: Aqua: Sodium Stearate: Sodium Olivate: Sorbitol: Sodium Cocoate: Decyl Glucoside: Sodium Chloride: and Citric Acid.)

It's not that you did anything wrong, it's just that eo's can be tricky & flowers/food will almost always be disasterous in mp.

It was most likely a combination of the calendula & orange peel that gave your soap the slight orange color.

Almost all food items & flowers will turn brown in mp. Some may even get moldy. So be careful with that.

Citrus eo's usually need a binder to help them "stick" in mp. Some people use other eo's (like patchouli, cedarwood or ylang ylang) or you can use things like orrisroot powder or kaolin clay.

I hope I helped a bit.

Thank you very much Genny.

So other EO's can help bind too? Does anyone know where I can get more information on other 'binding' EO's?

Thanks

Again thanks Genny for your time! Haven't been on the forum for a while, but i see that you replied to my other message too!

Back