A dream coming true...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all so much; it was the support of my offline and online friends (SMF!) that helped fuel the courage I needed to do this. And I'm still riding high; in fact every night I still dream of those walls of granite and skyscraping trees. The friends I know who've been there kept warning me about the switchback roads and honestly I found them a great deal of fun instead of tedious.

There are 2 things I wish I had know before I left; you can be affected by altitude sickness in these parks! The water bottles in the car kept popping and crackling at weird times (when they hadn't been touched for a long time due to driving up and down mountains), and you need to drink MORE water even if the temps are still comfortable. I completely crashed when I got home - dehydrated, exhausted, and a little wacked from altitude sickness. But it was all worth it!

If any of you are planning on visiting Yosemite, Sequoia or Kings Canyon in the future, I suggest doing it sooner rather than later. They've been affected by the pine beetle and a decade of drought. They're with withholding many of the controlled burns that rejuvenate the forest because of money and definitely because of lack of water. I worry about the future of these parks...:(

Lenarenee, it sounds like you had a wonderful time! I am so glad to read about your experience. Good point about altitude sickness. I wish I had thought of that, but it's been so long since I've experienced myself it didn't even cross my mind. I suppose that's because I travel so much back and forth across the Continental Divide that I am fairly acclimatized. But I do often hear the water bottles making those crackling noises and when I open my trunk, I invariably find shrunken empty water bottles (I don't toss them out; I save them) after a mountainous drive.

You are so right about hydration, too, another thing I surely forgot to mention. I am always thirsty, so for me it's like second nature, but when hiking or even walking slowly in mountains, I tend to breath off a lot of water and get even more thirsty!

Love your photos!

Latest posts

Back