A dream coming true...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had very few dreams in my life; life when I was a kid was pretty desolate due to all of the family dysfunction and some abuse. I was shy by nature and never had the chance to gain confidence as I grew up so as an adult I was "behind". Many milestones kids get, such as first boyfriend, getting a license....didn't come until much later for me. And still my life has been "small" because I like to be safe. Looking ahead and making plans was not a habit because with my dad around - there was always disappointment.

When I was a kid I liked National Geograpic magazines and remember an issue about the Redwoods and Sequoias of California; I was so fascinated by those giants that I carried the magazine around for years. I was thousands of miles away and California might as well have been an alien planet so I never even was able to dream of seeing them for real.

Until I moved to San Diego a few years ago. Put the Sequoia National Park on my list of things to do.....and now I'm doing it! In fact, might be able to add a quick trip to Yosemite - another place I didn't even think about dreaming of!! These are my first ever National Park visits!

But I'm absolutely terrified of the drive - especially I5 through Los Angeles! Flying adds hundred of dollars to the cost, which I would be willing to spend if I absolutely had to but.....I much prefer being able to conquer this beast.

Not sure exactly when I'll leave; perhaps the 20th. I don't know how to plan for this; I'm not a traveler so if anyone has any words of advice - big and small, please share them! Thanks!

Girl! Go for it! Everything will be just fine!

We are usually afraid of the thing we do not know, until we learn them. Is like that with everything in life. Lately taking the drive is less of a fuzz than flying. And you can plan your trip and stop in a couple more places along the way.

Hey, I wish I could go with you! ha ha!

I would go WAY out of my way to avoid major cities. I love cross country (or cross continent) road trips, but I really hate driving. So, when planning a trip, I look at Google Maps or some other program and plan it to go around major cities rather than through them. That makes the drive so much more enjoyable. The scenery is usually breathtaking, and we often meet nice and interesting people along the way when we stop for gas or for breaks. Doing this adds quite a bit of time to the drive, but enjoying the trip, even if it takes a few extra hours, is much, much better than going through big cities and then being all stressed and worn out by the time I get to my destination. So, my advice is to avoid LA at all costs. Leave a little earlier and plan a relaxing scenic route. It will be so worth it! Have fun!

1) know your driving limits. If you know you can only drive for 3 hour stretches without going nuts, stick to that. Your safety is not work cutting out a 10 minutes break

2) road trip music is necessary. Podcasts/books on tape count here. I end up belting out punk rock when I drive on road trips so I know to keep those cds close. Pandora or Spotify is a huge asset for this. I have issues with city driving, getting lost in the music helps the anxiety.

3) bring a buddy (guessing you’re already doing this one). Bonus points if your buddy has a complementary driving style. My husband hates long stretches of grassland/farms, I hate city driving. We know exactly where to start looking for somewhere to switch off to balance out the stress.

4) have a pillow, blanket, and beach towel in the car, as well as some other comfort items. If you get winy and need a moment, having something to cuddle will reset you mentally. I don’t know what it is but it works. A beach towel can double as another blanket if you get a surprise cold snap or be invaluable if you decide to take an impromptu trip to a beach (or jump in a river on a hike). I’ll refer to Douglas Adams for further towel uses. (I’ll also note that the weather thing is a real concern. On a family trip to the Grand Canyon in April, it snowed. My mom had everyone pack nothing but shorts. My 8 year old rebellion of bringing 2 pairs of pants was a weird lifesaver)

5) stop often. Strange gas stations can have the most interesting off brand products or sales. If you have the kids look into the state funded rest areas. They have fliers for local museums or hiking spots and usually have a picnic area to stretch your legs in. Reliable spots for bathrooms (and the occasional free highway map in case the gps cuts out). Also look for your favorite companies along the way, maybe you can stop for a factory tour/samples and get a peek at the behind the scenes. There are also websites with list of weird roadside attractions if you’re looking for something random to do

6) have fun.if you feel yourself getting a bit too stressed with things take the opportunity to stop anywhere that looks new. It sounds like you have an absolutely amazing trip planned and you should take every minute to enjoy yourself. One of my favorite traveling quotes is, “no matter how old you areroad trips snacks should look like and unrestrained 6 year old spent $100 in a candy store.” Don’t limit yourself.

Sorry for the text blocks, we leave tomorrow to drive 400 miles to Chicago for a week. This is all the stuff I’m plotting out on our trip (never mind we take this trip at least 2x a year for the past 7 years).

Hopefully Earlene will have a moment to stop by with her road trip tips. With the amount of traveling she does I’m sure she’ll have some interesting ideas.

Looks like everyone already hit it :)

Take a friend that you can enjoy the time with.
Relax and take your time on the trip, never rush.
Plan drives around major traffic hours.

and did I say ENJOY the trip !!! : ):)

Relax, take breaks, enjoy the scenery and have fun! I generally try to avoid big cities even if it adds a bit of extra time to my trip. Though usually it saves some. Especially if you don't time it right and end up in traffic.

Sounds like an exciting adventure!

That is awesome! I'm so proud of you and I'm sure your initial discomfort will be worth it a thousand times over!
I am also one who avoids major cities on road trips. You never know when there will be traffic, construction, etc. So, you might not end-up "wasting" time by taking a longer route. Enjoy the journey!
Have fun and make sure to tell us all about it!

I am so excited for your trip. See if there are any scenic highways on your route. If you are a member of AAA I think you can actually get them to mail you a map with a highlighted route. I recommend getting a map, or printing some directions, because sometimes Google Maps is wrong, or doesn't work.

Take plenty of cash. I always worry about having some kind of issue with my credit card far from home. Never happened, but having a few hundred dollars means I don't have to worry about it!

Take plenty of water. I hate paying gas station prices for water. Pack some food with you so you don't have to buy a meal if you don't want to. I recommend apples, carrots and nuts.

Get a book on tape. If you can, find one that is set in the area, I always find that fun.

Nevada Barr writes amazing books set in National Parks:
http://www.nevadabarr.com/thebooks.html

Be advised, they get pretty scary!

While it would be fun to take the trip with a buddy, don't let not having a buddy to go with you dissuade you. I have a very small social circle and I found I've waited for years for a friend or relative to take a trip with me, so the trip doesn't happen. So if nobody goes with me, I go by myself. I took myself to the beach for 4 days and it was amazing. I did EXACTLY what I wanted to do at all times. I saw a sunrise and a sunset, ate at a little hole in the wall every day, took naps, and sat on the beach and read for hours.

We have been taking road trips with the kids (from 12 to 20 hours) for nearly 20 years now. While certain things have changed, some will always be on the list:

1) Audiobooks! Check your local library's online collection. They can be downloaded even when you're away from home. (Also headphones, if you are taking a driving buddy who doesn't share your taste in books)
2) phone charger for the car
3) An actual atlas, in case you drive through a deadzone and lose your GPS or Google maps signal (also, you can print out your Google maps directions before you go)
4) Easy-to-eat snacks that are near enough to reach, including a favorite, comfort snack (mine is dark chocolate m&ms.)
5) I agree with water, but also a favorite caffeinated beverage
6) peppermints can help an uneasy belly
7) I keep a small toiletry bag stocked with: Tums, ibuprofen, allergy meds, nail clipper & file, flossers, lip balm, hand sanitizer, and lotion. They are small things, but if your lips are cracked while you're driving, that's all you can think about!
8) I downloaded the app: USA Rest Stop Locator and it has been very helpful.
9) Plan a couple extra hours into you travel time. That way, you won't be as disappointed if a stop delays your arrival time.
10) Use the bathroom every time you stop, whether you have to, or not! Just in case.
11) Check out sites like Roadtrippers (or tourism sites for the towns you'll pass through. You may find a fun detour.
12) I also agree for towels for all the reasons stated
13) A bag to be sick in, just in case.

It will be a wonderful trip, with or without a friend. If you want to avoid the LA traffic you can take the I-5 N to the 76 to I-15 to 210. This will take you to the I-5 around San Fernando Valley by passing the heavy LA traffic. Google will not take you that way, but as you know the GPS in your car or phone will simply re-route. It is going to add some miles but is less stressful. There will be traffic on the 210 depending on what time you leave but not as bad as LA traffic. If you decide to go with the I-5 leave around
7 -8 am to avoid the heaviest LA Traffic. Just remember if you miss a turn your gps will re-route and do not get nervous

Yosemite is beautiful and worth the extra miles. I would advise taking tours in both areas since the bears are coming out of hibernation. Not trying to scare you but there is definite safety in numbers. I always get a tad nervous when I go with my daughter to Yosemite this time of year and we do a lot of walking around. She is lucky her In-laws have a cabin in Yosemite.

I know people don't use these much anymore, but if you can find a road Atlas, those are awesome. Especially for what homesteaders described above. You can find a route that may add another hour or two, but can take you through a more leisurely and beautiful drive. Plus, it's much easier to plan a route with that big book if you look at it ahead of time, then you can put it into your phone or whatever Map App you may be using. I used to drive from Ark to Colo all the time and my daughter and I made a game of finding new routes to explore on the way to break up the monotony. And take lots of pics on the way. If you have time, pull off at some of those unplanned tourist spots that show up along the way! Enjoy yourself!

Had some time to look at Google maps. I'm overwhelmed. I'll hit AAA tomorrow.

There is no "scenic" route to get past LA without adding hours to the trip - and those routes are also too rustic and isolated. From the LA coast directly west its a band of mountainous forest, rocky valleys, mountains and desert.

I think jackznanakin is right - an Atlas is the way to go - at least until I get past LA.

In fact, the cigarette lighter in my car doesn't work, my cell phone battery doesn't last long using Waze, and if I'm on the 5 where there is often no breakdown lane to pull over and switch batteries - I'll have to wing it. There's no way to predict where cell service gets sketchy.

Maybe I'll look into flying to Fresno and renting a car.

Had some time to look at Google maps. I'm overwhelmed. I'll hit AAA tomorrow.

There is no "scenic" route to get past LA without adding hours to the trip - and those routes are also too rustic and isolated. From the LA coast directly west its a band of mountainous forest, rocky valleys, mountains and desert.

I think jackznanakin is right - an Atlas is the way to go - at least until I get past LA.

In fact, the cigarette lighter in my car doesn't work, my cell phone battery doesn't last long using Waze, and if I'm on the 5 where there is often no breakdown lane to pull over and switch batteries - I'll have to wing it. There's no way to predict where cell service gets sketchy.

Maybe I'll look into flying to Fresno and renting a car.
You can find these for your phone, they are a life saver! https://www.walmart.com/ip/2600mAh-...49905&wl11=online&wl12=42556861&wl13=&veh=sem

Check the route I posted above, it is not that far out of your way and gets you out of the LA traffic. LA traffic is really not bad if you hit it around 10 am, which is the time we always leave when going to LA. You are very close to the 76 and the 15 is easy with a decent on ramp to the 210. Get a couple of those external chargers and you should be good to go. They are wonderful. No there is no very scenic route up there except highway 1 and if you are driving by yourself I would not go that route. Do your scenic when you get up there. If you go to Yosemite you can go over the Tioga Pass to the Sierras and go home 395 if you want something different. Of course 395 is not real scenic although the cactus should be starting to bloom. Do no make it harder than it is, it is really not a hard drive up there. Take it easy and enjoy pack some blankets, plenty of water and some snacks. Keep them where you can reach the snacks and water.

I have 4 of these and they work great. I noticed these are refurbished but for the price I would try them, once will completely charge my phone with power leftover. I carry to shows where I will not have electricity. I would say at least one of these is a must if you do not have a car charger. Go prepared and do get at least one of these portable chargers. If traveling alone I would also put in a pepper spray at the least in case you have to stop at a rest area.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X3RJKKN/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lenarenee. There is lots of excellent advice here from many supportive people & I won't add to it as there is no need. What I want to say is, I also had a similar background to you & I know how much it affects us as adults. Read & learn about it to help overcome the influence of those years on your adult life. You can do it! This trip will be empowering for you and you will find a joy in your soul that you never knew existed. You can fulfill this dream of yours and create a good strong base for more adventures in the years to come. I've done it and you can too! One final thing..........You go girl!!

Check the route I posted above, it is not that far out of your way and gets you out of the LA traffic. LA traffic is really not bad if you hit it around 10 am, which is the time we always leave when going to LA. You are very close to the 76 and the 15 is easy with a decent on ramp to the 210. Get a couple of those external chargers and you should be good to go. They are wonderful. No there is no very scenic route up there except highway 1 and if you are driving by yourself I would not go that route. Do your scenic when you get up there. If you go to Yosemite you can go over the Tioga Pass to the Sierras and go home 395 if you want something different. Of course 395 is not real scenic although the cactus should be starting to bloom. Do no make it harder than it is, it is really not a hard drive up there. Take it easy and enjoy pack some blankets, plenty of water and some snacks. Keep them where you can reach the snacks and water.

I have 4 of these and they work great. I noticed these are refurbished but for the price I would try them, once will completely charge my phone with power leftover. I carry to shows where I will not have electricity. I would say at least one of these is a must if you do not have a car charger. Go prepared and do get at least one of these portable chargers. If traveling alone I would also put in a pepper spray at the least in case you have to stop at a rest area.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X3RJKKN/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I absolutely :thumbs: took your advice to heart and ran the directions through Google maps and at the moment that's the route I plan to take. I've been a passenger in LA a few times and that 2 hour trip (weekend) always turned in to 5 - 8 hrs!

I'm definitely going alone, no one else can get off work with such a last minute trip. But I'm okay with that; and I thought about the pepper spray too and will definitely look into that; and a better flashlight than what I have. Our 5th grader will be on a trip to reconnect with some special people from her babyhood in Boston, plus see all the history sites she learned about this year.

I love what you said and had to laugh at myself ; I am making it harder than it is simply because it's the biggest trip I've ever driven in territory I've never seen. But this trip IS going to happen!

Planning on staying in Visalia or Fresno; probably do the bus tour through the major sites like El Capitan. It's just a massive place that somebody other than me needs to pick which sites to visit! Sequoia is easy - any sight of those amazing trees will make me happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you happen to like Smoked Tri Tip there is a 100 mile side trip you could take from Fresno. They have the best Tri Tip I have ever had, except for my own smoked Tri Tip and is worth the extra trip if you have time. We were in Fresno on the bikes when someone mentioned this place to us, now we always detour when we are within 100 miles!! :D The hubby and I are not real great with planned out trips :D I spend a lot of time re-routing. In 2009 we did Sturgis, South Dakota from Whittier and never got on a freeway after leaving Vegas! Best trip I ever had and I was debating on going, but the hubbies buddy flaked out so I went.

Last edited:
Be sure to hit Kings Canyon NP - it is immediately adjacent to Sequoia. Depending on how much time you have, you might consider sticking to just those 2 parks and visiting Yosemite at a later date.

My other advice is to be prepared for long traffic lines getting into and around all 3 of these parks. They are fabulous places, and literally receive millions of visitors each year, primarily during the snow-free summer and fall seasons. It won't be fast-paced like L.A., but you will need to have patience and drive carefully on single-lane roads.

Have fun, and send postcards - err, post lots of pics!

In 2009 we did Sturgis, North Dakota

Minor correction - it's South Dakota, my home state :)

Latest posts

Back