A dog Ate the Soap...Oh No!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frankly, I would not replace the soap unless, as was suggested earlier, you are eager to cultivate good will in this customer.

I would, of course, inquire about the health of the dog and perhaps offer a discount for a future purchase. I liked the 2 for 1 idea.

I've had kids bite into my soap. Usually one bite is enough and they stop.

Like another poster mentioned, it would probably be the cocoa butter that attracted the dog. I would advise her to contact her vet and watch the dog. Cocoa butter = chocolate to me. Base on the size of the dog and amount eaten and the percentage used in your recipe, it may not be a problem. Just for future reference, you can use Hydrogen Peroxide to induce vomiting, google it for details. Since I own 101 Dalmations---well maybe a few less, and having had to wrestle away a cocoa butter bar and a bottle of cocoa butter lotion, i don't bring cocoa butter into my house at all. Good Luck

I have a friend who has a male English mastiff. I had given her several bars of soap (some time back, by now). She took them home, set them on the dining table, and went off to do something else. Several hours later, when she couldn't find the soap, she just assumed she had done something peculiar with them. Several hours after that, when the dog got sick, she knew where the soap had gone. I believe her phrase was that it "cleaned him right out". :lol:

A few weeks later, I gave her some replacement soap. She straightaway put it on the top shelf in her bedroom closet. A few hours later, she walked into her bedroom to find the silly dog sitting in front of the closet with his nose pointed at the top shelf!

It certainly didn't seem to do him any permanent damage.

Anita

To who have responded, thank you. I have not heard anything else so I hope all is well. I did provide her with the number for animal poison control and let her know that I have the ingredients/amounts if needed in case the label is missing. So...dogs can be attracted to cocoa butter? Hmmmm. In that particular batch, cocoa butter was used at 8% and used blood orange FO. I've made 2 batches with 30% cocoa butter and Aloe Vera. Like the soap even though its only cured a couple of weeks now. The 1st batch will be offered for sale at the next library fund raiser so I will be sure to let people know to store the soap away from their critters. I've been a cat person for many years so I'm clueless about dogs. Wow.

Do you think it is necessary to put a fine print? Just in case someone is trying to sue.

Do you think it is necessary to put a fine print? Just in case someone is trying to sue.

JMO, but dogs will eat anything. I think that is the responsibility of the pet owner to keep soap away from the pet. But what do I know, I don't sell products,

I have 3 small/small-ish dogs. And it never has crossed my mind that they might try to eat my soaps. Interesting. I guess there is no accounting for taste ;)

What should she say? Keep out of reach of greedy dogs? :p

In US people sue for silly things. People can sue you if they fall and injure while they are in your house. But, it doesn't mean they win the case all the time.

A few years ago, a man sued a dry cleaning store for $67 millions. He accused the store lost one of his trouser and over the store sign "satisfaction guaranteed".

Last edited:
It really is something to know about since I would have never thought dogs would eat soap. My dogs have never touched any soap and the only incident I've had is the one dog who ate the GMP. I've certainly learned something new. :grin:

Back