A 'Delicate' Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwystedPryncess

Reaction score
Right. So bear with with, guys. Just jumping in with both feet and getting it out there.

I said someday I'd share how I 'really' know (one way, anyway) my CP's are cured. Now's the time, but it's of necessity of question. I was being half silly when I posted that, as there is so much other stuff involved, but honestly, it's a test I run because it really does seem to have some merit.

I had a friend and his girlfriend pick three soaps out of my stash last week--a lemongrass wedge that is about six months old, a raspberry wedge that is five and two lavender cedar bars that are also about five months old. All, to me, have had plenty of time to cure up properly.

He contacts me back stating that 'The lemongrass stung her business'. Meaning, her lady private parts. I've not had anyone else contact me back saying this before.

However.

A soap that hasn't cured at least four weeks will do the same thing to me. So I always keep a slice and test after four weeks in my shower. If it stings, it stays on the 'can't be gifted' rack'. The slice goes back in the 'My soap' basket and I wait another week or two then I try again. If it stings, same thing. If it doesn't, the batch of soap can be then inspected for hardness, and I weigh them to see how much weight they have lost, and some other things. But it first HAS to pass this test!

Because ladies, who wants a stinging kooka? Really?

And yes, I'm trying to be a little light about it, given the subject, but honestly I am concerned because she picked an older soap and blew my theory here right out of the water. More seriously, I do NOT want anyone uncomfortable.

And because they are friends, they weren't upset. He was more amused at the whole thing (I am not) and she good with just avoiding the one area. Me? Bugging the snot out of me.

I will say this particular person has a lot of odd allergies (egg whites for example), just switched birth control, and they have a healthy romantic life. I do NOT know if any of this factors. Another reason I am posting.

This was one of the last wedges of this batch, as well, and the others who have used it did not report anything other than "OMG make more ASAP".

So my questions are: Does this happen to anyone else, and at what stages, if you are comfortable enough talking about it. I'm really posting it at an objective standpoint.

Is this possibly a body part/area thing? Skin type/sensitive skin thing? Could she and I possibly have more in common skin wise than we know? We both are very fair skin types, but again, this is an odd body part/area of discussion.

If this happens, what type of soap does it, at what stages are the soaps in, and if someone posts that you don't wash the kooka with hand made soap, then, um, why not??

Does anyone have an issue with any certain type of store-bought soap doing this?

I suppose it bothers me as NOT an isolated case because it does affect me this way as well, just not with properly cured bars.

The lemongrass soap in question was made with coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, and rice bran oil. Most of my soaps are made with just olive, palm and coconut, or olive/lard/coconut, one uses sweet almond, and I have a hemp recipe I use as well. So basically, nothing crazy in the soap.

I think this is all the information I have, but feel free please to ask away with questions. And I'm really not trying to offend, it's an honest question, as we make a cleansing product, which people use to cleanse body parts, and this is one of them.

Thanks in advance for all of your knowledge, ladies and gents.

Trust me, you're and your friend are not alone. My sis is one that cannot use either my salt soaps or my 100% coconut oil soaps with the high S/F on her girly parts without discomfort/stinging, but her parts are perfectly fine with my other soaps.

My own personal opinion is that it all comes down to each individual's sensitivities..... and something else to take into consideration are the acid/alkaline changes that happen in that particular area during 'that time' of the month, especially since lye-based soaps are alkaline.

If you ask me, your soap is more than likely perfectly fine, but it just may be that your own or your friend's girly parts simply have a hard time adjusting to certain levels of alkalinity. Either that, or there could be a sensitivity to an ingredient or scent in the soap.... or both.

For what it's worth, I know of many on another soaping forum who don't use any soap at all on their girly parts of any kind- but only water, because it disrupts the flora, leading to yeast infections (they took a survey once).

IrishLass :)

I've had this reported to me from a couple people but it's only been on strong essential oil soaps, peppermint, cinnamon. And I think of lemongrass as being a bit strong too. I always assumed it was the essential oil and that person's individual sensitivity. But I like the alkalinity point too. I think that would play a strong role.

Lemongrass irritates a good number of people, male or female, public or private parts.

By the way, it warmed my heart to see how seriously you took this matter...caring about other's discomfort.

I've never had any soap irritate my lady bits and I've been know to use 2 week old soap in the shower. The only time I've ever had issue with home made soap is when it contains cinnamon, then it irritates everything.

My daughter and I both have a problem with lye soaps in certain areas, whether fragrance, eo or unfragranced. Everyone is different and lye soap is not the answer for everyone. My daughter can only use surfacant based bars and cleansers

I am one of those people who can't use soap of any kind on the privates. I am also a nurse, who can tell you that most doctors will tell you that that area is like a self cleaning oven. All that is needed is a water rinse, and let the natural flora take care of itself. However, I agree that it boils down to each individual's sensitivities. One may react to this, the next one to that. Both of you now learn that she may need to avoid lemongrass in the future.

I have Sjogren's Syndrome. It is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks the moisture producing glands, causing extreme dryness. (Amongst other problems.). I have to be careful with anything that I use on my body, especially my lady parts, because of it. That said, I haven't had any issues (yet, thank heavens) with any of the soaps I have made. The two that I have done as CP, I used "sample" bars after about one week. The other batches have all been HP and I use them the day after I make it. (That's just about long enough for the bar to solidify. :shifty:). The only soap I've made so far that I have not used in the shower (and I won't, either) is my coffee soap. That was made specifically as a kitchen soap. I've just unmolded my first colored soap and I'll try that out in the morning. I guess one of the "good" things about having this disease is, if the soap I make doesn't bother my skin, chances are it probably won't bother too many other people, either. :lol:

This has been discussed previously at length, but I can't find the link atm.

It's one of those things we all do for years. Then a problem comes along and low and behold, everyone tells you you've done it wrong all your life.

Soap is not advised for lady and non-lady bits. Emulsifying cream is what they advise apparently.

My doctors don't even advise that. Water only, unless prescribed by an MD is what I was taught in school, and what all the doctors I worked with(I worked OB/L&D for a while) said. Over and over. Ad nauseum.

Relle- I could not find the old thread either.

Its funny, I've been told its ok to use soap but I'm sooo sensitive that I will only use water. When I told my gyno she said "well, if you and your boyfriend are good with it, its not a bad thing". I've told some of my close friends that I only use water and they think its kind of gross! But for me, if I use any soap of any kind it burns and then I get a yeast infection. I have a very sensitive balance down there that goes out of whack easily.

Its funny, I've been told its ok to use soap but I'm sooo sensitive that I will only use water. When I told my gyno she said "well, if you and your boyfriend are good with it, its not a bad thing". I've told some of my close friends that I only use water and they think its kind of gross! But for me, if I use any soap of any kind it burns and then I get a yeast infection. I have a very sensitive balance down there that goes out of whack easily.

And just to show how individualized this is, if I don't use soap, I get a yeast infection.

OP, your friend might just be too sensitive to lemongrass EO. It's know irritant.
Same applies to other EOs.
As a female I never had issues with my soap. I scent and colour them reasonably, but never had issues.
Not here to judge, but "water only"? Does it work? What happens at those times of the month? Does "water only" really cut it then? Sorry if TMI. :)
Vagina is a self-cleaning but outside, actual vulva plus other bits on the outside, perfectly safe to clean briefly with soap. Douching and soaping actual inside (vagina) is not a great thing to do though.

Pretty much everything is water soluble down there. Even during those "times of the month". I clean very well with copious amounts of water. Its a part of the body I spend the longest on cleaning. I know only water seems like its not enough but it really is self cleaning there. Water only, really works for me. Others may not have the same experience though! Its all about your own body!

lalalala-listening.jpg

Seriously though - stinging can happen anywhere, anytime, with anything. Let's say a couple is young and amorous. It does not take a leap of imagination to believe that there could be ... abrasions ... that will sting even with the mildest soap and water. Start adding FO's and all bets are off.

Years ago, "The Man Show" did a hilarious bit on the differences between lady parts and man parts. Something like:
"A penis is like a kazoo. You pull it out and toot on it, then you put it away. A vagina is like a grand piano - you have to tune it and maintain it. Having a vagina is complicated. No wonder women don't know stuff about cars."

(Apologies to lady car enthusiasts.)

YLBMV - your lady bits may vary

DYING.

The forums I participate on happen to be mostly female, so lady part stuff does come up on occasions. I wonder if man part stuff comes up on mostly-man forums.

Like are there threads on hunting forums about men feeling not-so-fresh 'down there'?

Back