A Crisis of Quality - EO or FO?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only use EOs. It's totally my personal preference, and I certainly don't expect everyone else to follow suit. For now I am trying to use all natural ingredients in my soap, and no palm oil. Again, personal preference. I do believe that there is a market for these types of soap, especially where I am. I enjoy finding combos of essential oils and seeing what lasts and what works together.

that's my point of difference which gives me a marketing edge.
Good for you. I think finding that niche that sets you apart from the crowd is key to sales. As for my wholesale customers, one did only goat milk soap and other B & B products, one catered to the wool/knitting/lanolin crowd, and one was a sweet lady who inherited a sugar plantation in Louisianna and owned a storefront on the town square.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FTWfchk-c7sNswuh-yaTdRf1M/edit#gid=1719085749
As for myself, I use both. I like the variety I can get with FOs, but I do also use EOs as well. I've pared my EOs down to only those that stick well and aren't outrageously priced. I don't sell, but if I did I would probably offer some soaps made with EOs only and some (most) made with FOs or a combination of the two. I understand the desire for some people to use EOs only. To each their own. EOs aren't without their own set of considerations though, eco speaking.

Wow the FO spreadsheet is amazing - thank you to whoever took all that time to collate the data!

I guess I'm the 'specific' soap seller here then. I do vegan, palm free soap only. But for me, that's my point of difference which gives me a marketing edge.

I hope you didn't take it as a negative, because it wasn't meant that way. It's like this...when I buy Halloween candy, I buy stuff "I" like because it's hit and miss in our neighborhood and I don't want to be stuck with ton of candy I won't eat. I feel the same way soap making...make what YOU want to make because at the end of the day, you could be the only one using it.

I hope you didn't take it as a negative, because it wasn't meant that way. It's like this...when I buy Halloween candy, I buy stuff "I" like because it's hit and miss in our neighborhood and I don't want to be stuck with ton of candy I won't eat. I feel the same way soap making...make what YOU want to make because at the end of the day, you could be the only one using it.
No not at all :)
"You add to the suffering of this world just as much when you take offence, as when you give offence" is one of the adages I live by.

Latest posts

Back