A Cream Soap Tutorial

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello cream soapers.

I stumbled on this thread and though it's a quite an old one and probably its originator not active here, I would like to ask if any of you would like to share a photo of your cream cured soap in its pump bottle, and possibly a photo of its lather in the hands.

Or has cream soap moved to another thread?

It would be lovely to know and see more.
I'm a beginner and haven't yet attempted to cream soap.
Thank you and happy labour day

Well, I suspect that will pose at least as many questions as it answers…

From the skin feel when cleaning the tools, I was less than impressed. In line with what I already noted earlier of my ambivalent relationship with high-stearic soaps. But I won't pass a definite judgment until it has got at least a few weeks of chance to cure…

ETA: @Zany_in_CO I'm already trying hard to combine as many unknowns as possible at once into one project (Lindy recipe, fatty acid profile forgery, grocery store challenge, canola wax, false trace, glycerol/glycol swap), to minimise the number of “first times” 🤪

The good thing about liquid/cream soap is that you don't “start” using it like a soap bar, and (at least in theory) there is no difference between the first and the last squeeze. It's easily possible to scoop out a bit every month or so – the difficult part is remembering this and taking notes that are reliable and understandable after several months.

Last edited:
I stumbled on this thread and though it's a quite an old one and probably its originator not active here,
True. Lindy hasn't been active since 2015.
I would like to ask if any of you would like to share a photo of your cream cured soap in its pump bottle, and possibly a photo of its lather in the hands.
Catherine Failor wrote both the book on Liquid Soapmaking (1999) and Cream Soap (2001). Liquid Soapmaking took off big time! On the other hand, very few soapers made cream soap. I, for one, was just never that interested in it. As a result, there is very little information available about the technique. :(
I'm a beginner and haven't yet attempted to cream soap.
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but it is an advanced technique and I advise you to put it on the back burner for now. It would be best to read what I wrote earler in this thread here.

True. Lindy hasn't been active since 2015.

Catherine Failor wrote both the book on Liquid Soapmaking (1999) and Cream Soap (2001). Liquid Soapmaking took off big time! On the other hand, very few soapers made cream soap. I, for one, was just never that interested in it. As a result, there is very little information available about the technique. :(

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but it is an advanced technique and I advise you to put it on the back burner for now. It would be best to read what I wrote earler in this thread here.
Thank you Zany. I had read that comment and still found a sparkle of self confidence in attempting.... I will now follow your suggestion and keep o reading about cream soap, and maybe even look for Catherine Failor's books.

Thank you Zany. I had read that comment and still found a sparkle of self confidence in attempting.... I will now follow your suggestion and keep o reading about cream soap, and maybe even look for Catherine Failor's books.
My pleasure, Albertina.
I posted a link to Failor's book on making cream soap earlier in this thread. Here is the link. NOTE: Be prepared to be shocked. I was! :eek:

As a result, there is very little information available about the technique. :(

Hi Zany in CO. Every time I pop in here and see your name I have to smile. I remember you so well from the early Yahoo soapmaking groups. Then everything sorta went to Facebook and I lost touch with you. You might remember Gretchen Moritz from those early days as well. She stays pretty active on the Facebook Group "Cream Soapmakers Delight" and helps a lot of people through the process.

Albertina: If you're going to attempt the Cream Soap, you might consider joining that Facebook Group for support because there are more recent options that can be applied to that process...such as low stearic acid and stearic acid-free formulas.

you might consider joining that Facebook Group for support because there are more recent options that can be applied to that process...such as low stearic acid and stearic acid-free formulas.
I agree with @Albertina --- Great advice! Thank you!
The Failor book... I'll look for another source rather than amazon since it is quoted 730 USD.
Haha. Crazy, yes? I just wish I had the presence of forethought to buy that book when it was readily available. :oops:

Awesome tutorial 😍 I’m about to buy what I need to make this. But I have a question, can I get this recipe written in percents? Or can somebody help me transferring it to percents? That way it’s easier to scale it up and down.

Awesome tutorial 😍 I’m about to buy what I need to make this. But I have a question, can I get this recipe written in percents? Or can somebody help me transferring it to percents? That way it’s easier to scale it up and down.
Just use the Soapmaking Friend Calculator associated with this site. However, as a note of warning, it won't give you the exact amount of percentages as associated with the recipe at the beginning of this thread. Cream soap making is an entirely different process, bucking against the "norms" most soap makers have associated with for years regarding lye & water percentages, oils and glycerin, etc.
I am not trying to be negative here, but it is best for you to explore the recipe and percentages yourself. You will learn a lot more that way than if one of the members here does it for you. Personally, I had to do the conversions myself, which is a somewhat lengthy and involved process, but I learned that cream soap making is a whole different ball game, so to speak. One must throw "convention" out the window.

To use a famous saying from one of the greatest TV shows during The Golden Era of Television. since it is very applicable to the jump from conventional HP & CP soap making:

“You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into… the Twilight Zone.”

Last edited:
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Soapmaking! When you have time, please go to the Introduction Forum and tell us a little about yourself, as much as you care to share, but especially about your soapmaking experience. That will better help us to help you when needed. ;) :thumbs:

I’m about to buy what I need to make this.
If you've never made basic soap before, I suggest you start there. Cream soap is an advanced technique more suited to experienced soapmakers. Even at that, there are few SMF members knowledgable about making cream soap. It's really not very popular. :(

Is someone willing to share their notes from Catherine Failor's "Making Cream Soap?" I would greatly appreciate it. It’s not so much about her recipes but more about me learning how to formulate them, knowing safe guidelines for Stearic acid amounts, glycerin, ratios for dual lye, etc. It’s the formulation of cream soap that I need help with. I’d like to create my own. I’ve found a few calculators but I don’t know what to enter nor how to interpret what it generates. Thanks!

Last edited:
Is someone willing to share their copy of Catherine Failor's "Making Cream Soap?" It can be screenshots, photocopies, etc. I'm willing to share books that I have too. Thanks!
I don't have the Failor book, but there is a handy set of cream soap tutorials and recipes on HumbleBee&Me. While the Failor book started it all, the cream soap threads here on SMF, as well as sites like HumbleBee, will have more updated techniques that take a lot of the mystery out of cream soap (as well as some of the myths that used to be considered absolute truth).

EDIT: One hardcover copy of the Failor cream soap book is listed on EBay right now for $160. Lowest price I've ever seen on it. If someone would post a link to the FB group, that would also be helpful for those who are looking for more info.

Last edited:
Please be aware that what you are asking and offering is a gross violation of copyright law.
You’re absolutely correct. Please forgive me. The book is no longer in print and I need more guidance than what I’ve been able to find on any forum, social media, etc. I wanted to get the info from the book and it seems no one is willing to share their knowledge in manner that I will be confident in creating my own soap recipes for cream soap. I haven’t even been able to find a class to take for this process. I was willing to pay someone to tutor me but no takers on that either. I am new to this forum and I don’t know how to delete my post so y’all forgive me.

You’re absolutely correct. Please forgive me. The book is no longer in print and I need more guidance than what I’ve been able to find on any forum, social media, etc. I wanted to get the info from the book and it seems no one is willing to share their knowledge in manner that I will be confident in creating my own soap recipes for cream soap. I haven’t even been able to find a class to take for this process. I was willing to pay someone to tutor me but no takers on that either. I am new to this forum and I don’t know how to delete my post so y’all forgive me.

No problem, just wanted you to know so no one gets in any trouble.

I believe in the adage: "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime."

Not to put you down, but you remind me a bit of a gal from a Loom Knitting group that I used to run. She was always looking for the quickest and easiest way to do things...her idea of 'learning' was simply to copy/mimic movements. Which is fine when first starting out, but the problem is...if you don't learn the how or why, then you will always be dependent on someone else every time you need to do ABC or XYZ. I was pretty much done with her when I got a private message from her one day. Seems her neck of the woods had a storm that knocked out the Internet for a couple of weeks and so she was forced to actually learn the how and why...or not knit. At first she was really angry...at me; it was all my fault that she didn't know how to knit. Then she went through the saved PDF lists of all the patterns I posted each month on different techniques which explained the how and why, along with other PDF Tips & Tricks I had posted. Given that she was knitting 12 hours a day, it didn't take her too long before she was able to read patterns, know the how and why of stitches, read her knitting, fix mistakes, etc.

It's pretty clear that you are stuck on this book and what you think you have to have...so much so that you're overlooking the obvious...this very thread. Here you have a recipe from an established soap maker, she includes step-by-step instructions and photos. And then you have pages and pages of discussion. Folks asking the same questions you are and questions you probably haven't even thought of.

As for 'confidence'...books can only take you so far. It's in the actual doing of something in which you gain confidence. And even if you don't succeed, it's not a failure, it's simply an opportunity to learn more. My soap that shattered (I had added three dry tablespoons of TD instead of 3 teaspoons of dispersed TD). My soap that turned into concrete (I didn't read the reviews that the FO badly accelerated). My soap that I was sure was going to ignite and burn the house down (I had grabbed the Lye Solution I had made for a double batch and put it in the single batch). My Lemon Sherbet soap that turned orange (color morphing Mica that turned back to yellow). Another review that I didn't read had my Yellow layer looking like something you'd see in a diaper (discoloring FO).

My recommendation. Start with Page 1 and Copy/Paste Lindy's first five posts to a Word (or other word processing document)....this is the recipe and instructions; save it. Then start reading each post and pay particular attention to questions and answers and Copy/Paste every one to another document. Don't skip so you don't miss anything. Then when you are done...save it too. Then print it out both file...do doubt there will be lots of pages and print on one side.

Then starting with the recipe/instructions and a blank piece of paper, review the recipe/instructions and start writing down any questions that you may have or things you want to know. When you get done, take your list and the list of questions/answers you printed out and see if you can find your answers. If you still have questions...then start a new post here and ask.

You’re 100% correct. I want to learn the how and why. That’s the point I’m trying to make. I used the Soaping101 recipe for cream soap successfully. However, the lady who wants a batch of cream soap is allergic to coconut oil. I am unable to alter the recipe because I don’t understand how to formulate for cream soap. I can use another oil but does that mean I need to change the amounts of Stearic acid and glycerin used? If so, do I need to increase it or lower it? For oils that I have at home and want to use to make cream soap, that are not the ones in the recipes I’ve used, what adjustments need to be made. Forgive me for asking for help. Forgive me for desiring to read a text to help me understand. I’m not looking for shortcuts. To those who responded in love and positivity, I appreciate that. You have no idea what I’m going through and how simply making soap for folks is a ministry to them and myself. To those who are critical and judgmental, assuming to know what my intentions are, don’t worry I’ll be terminating my membership to this forum. It feels toxic after just a few days and I need less of that. To all on this forum, may God bless you richly in every area of life now and throughout 2022.

You’re 100% correct. I want to learn the how and why. That’s the point I’m trying to make. I used the Soaping101 recipe for cream soap successfully. However, the lady who wants a batch of cream soap is allergic to coconut oil. I am unable to alter the recipe because I don’t understand how to formulate for cream soap. I can use another oil but does that mean I need to change the amounts of Stearic acid and glycerin used? If so, do I need to increase it or lower it? For oils that I have at home and want to use to make cream soap, that are not the ones in the recipes I’ve used, what adjustments need to be made. Forgive me for asking for help. Forgive me for desiring to read a text to help me understand. I’m not looking for shortcuts. To those who responded in love and positivity, I appreciate that. You have no idea what I’m going through and how simply making soap for folks is a ministry to them and myself. To those who are critical and judgmental, assuming to know what my intentions are, don’t worry I’ll be terminating my membership to this forum. It feels toxic after just a few days and I need less of that. To all on this forum, may God bless you richly in every area of life now and throughout 2022.

It is of course, your choice to leave...or you can consider how you came across, learn from it, and move forward.

If you want an answer to all your questions, I am more than happy to go through the process with you to find the answer, but as I said...your choice.

Back