A Cream Soap Tutorial

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Albertina

Reaction score
Hello cream soapers.

I stumbled on this thread and though it's a quite an old one and probably its originator not active here, I would like to ask if any of you would like to share a photo of your cream cured soap in its pump bottle, and possibly a photo of its lather in the hands.

Or has cream soap moved to another thread?

It would be lovely to know and see more.
I'm a beginner and haven't yet attempted to cream soap.
Thank you and happy labour day

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
Well, I suspect that will pose at least as many questions as it answers…

From the skin feel when cleaning the tools, I was less than impressed. In line with what I already noted earlier of my ambivalent relationship with high-stearic soaps. But I won't pass a definite judgment until it has got at least a few weeks of chance to cure…

ETA: @Zany_in_CO I'm already trying hard to combine as many unknowns as possible at once into one project (Lindy recipe, fatty acid profile forgery, grocery store challenge, canola wax, false trace, glycerol/glycol swap), to minimise the number of “first times” 🤪

The good thing about liquid/cream soap is that you don't “start” using it like a soap bar, and (at least in theory) there is no difference between the first and the last squeeze. It's easily possible to scoop out a bit every month or so – the difficult part is remembering this and taking notes that are reliable and understandable after several months.

Last edited:

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
I stumbled on this thread and though it's a quite an old one and probably its originator not active here,
True. Lindy hasn't been active since 2015.
I would like to ask if any of you would like to share a photo of your cream cured soap in its pump bottle, and possibly a photo of its lather in the hands.
Catherine Failor wrote both the book on Liquid Soapmaking (1999) and Cream Soap (2001). Liquid Soapmaking took off big time! On the other hand, very few soapers made cream soap. I, for one, was just never that interested in it. As a result, there is very little information available about the technique. :(
I'm a beginner and haven't yet attempted to cream soap.
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but it is an advanced technique and I advise you to put it on the back burner for now. It would be best to read what I wrote earler in this thread here.

Albertina

Reaction score
True. Lindy hasn't been active since 2015.

Catherine Failor wrote both the book on Liquid Soapmaking (1999) and Cream Soap (2001). Liquid Soapmaking took off big time! On the other hand, very few soapers made cream soap. I, for one, was just never that interested in it. As a result, there is very little information available about the technique. :(

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but it is an advanced technique and I advise you to put it on the back burner for now. It would be best to read what I wrote earler in this thread here.
Thank you Zany. I had read that comment and still found a sparkle of self confidence in attempting.... I will now follow your suggestion and keep o reading about cream soap, and maybe even look for Catherine Failor's books.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Thank you Zany. I had read that comment and still found a sparkle of self confidence in attempting.... I will now follow your suggestion and keep o reading about cream soap, and maybe even look for Catherine Failor's books.
My pleasure, Albertina.
I posted a link to Failor's book on making cream soap earlier in this thread. Here is the link. NOTE: Be prepared to be shocked. I was! :eek:

Marley

Reaction score
As a result, there is very little information available about the technique. :(

Hi Zany in CO. Every time I pop in here and see your name I have to smile. I remember you so well from the early Yahoo soapmaking groups. Then everything sorta went to Facebook and I lost touch with you. You might remember Gretchen Moritz from those early days as well. She stays pretty active on the Facebook Group "Cream Soapmakers Delight" and helps a lot of people through the process.

Albertina: If you're going to attempt the Cream Soap, you might consider joining that Facebook Group for support because there are more recent options that can be applied to that process...such as low stearic acid and stearic acid-free formulas.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
you might consider joining that Facebook Group for support because there are more recent options that can be applied to that process...such as low stearic acid and stearic acid-free formulas.
I agree with @Albertina --- Great advice! Thank you!
The Failor book... I'll look for another source rather than amazon since it is quoted 730 USD.
Haha. Crazy, yes? I just wish I had the presence of forethought to buy that book when it was readily available. :oops: