A Couple of Questions on Soap Dough

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodge

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've done a lot of reading on soap dough, and had a couple of quesitons that I couldn't find the answers to on my internet adventures :D

Fragrance - can I knead fragrance/essential oils into the dough on a project-by-project basis? From what I can see people either add fragrance to their entire soap dough batch or leave it unscented.

Stickiness - instead of corn starch, can I use arrowroot powder on my hands/surfaces to combat stickiness? I only ask because I don't want to buy a big box of something I'll only use a little of, and I already have arrowroot in the cupboard :D

Ta muchly!

Fragrance - can I knead fragrance/essential oils into the dough on a project-by-project basis? From what I can see people either add fragrance to their entire soap dough batch or leave it unscented.
You can try it and see what happens, but I imagine it would change the consistency drastically. Wear gloves if you try it. I haven't had scented soap dough turn out at all, despite trying several methods/recipes. It flops for me every time. Soap dough can be fickle - a few weeks ago I combined white and red dough to get a pink dough and as soon as I had the two mixed completely it turned waxy and crumbly.

instead of corn starch, can I use arrowroot powder on my hands/surfaces to combat stickiness
I don't see why not.

What Amd said. If you do try it, be prepared to deal with the mess of your life. Ask me how I know, lol Oh the humanity....
If I add any fragrance, I do to it to the entire batch as you would for a "regular soap" batch. These days I only do unscented. Any scent associated with my soap dough comes from the bars of soap, not the soap dough decoration themselves.

I have used arrowroot in a pinch, and it has worked. Try to be very stingy with it just as you would with corn starch.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

S

Back