A couple Lip Balm Questions

Discussion in 'Bath and Body Forum' started by DisneyMom, Feb 6, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Feb 8, 2019 #21

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

We are one... Supporting Member

That is where I found it - i am not on FB, but was able to see that when i googled "temper CB" - sorry - will remember to put citations in future! note to self!

SaltedFig likes this.
  2. Feb 8, 2019 #22

DisneyMom

DisneyMom

DisneyMom

Supporting Member

SO many awesome tips here! Thanks so much, everyone, for chiming it. :)

MGM, may I ask how you temper? I love me some lip scrub, but...not in my lip balm. lol

DixieDragon--I made a HUGE mess pouring my tubes the other day. Why I didn't think to put wax paper underneath is beyond me, but this is brilliant. THANK YOU!

And, I have another question for you all. This one is about combining Flavor Oils. When I want to combine two different flavor oils, and I'm looking at the usage rates for each (let's say the low usage rate for each is 1%), do I add 1% of each, or do I add .5 of each to total a flavor oil total usage rate of 1%? Does that make sense what I'm asking?

3. Feb 8, 2019 #23

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

Also, if you are having irritated lips, I'd leave out the flavor in one batch. If you use prime pressed cocoa butter and yellow beeswax (sweet smelling), you will have a very nice mild chocolate scent.

Where are you getting your flavors?

When determining usage rate, I usually shoot for between medium and high, because I like to smell the things!

Here's an example:
    From WSP, Vanilla has a 1-2% usage rate. Cherry has 8%. So the MOST I would use would be 2% vanilla and 6% cherry. There are components in flavors (and fragrances) that are rated only skin safe at certain percentages. We don't know what those components are. So we can't say, Oh, I can only use 1 gram of Chemical X per 100 grams of balm, and then calculate the total amount of Chemical X in Vanilla and Cherry to be sure we are under the safe Chemical X rules.

I would probably start out at something like 1% vanilla and 4% cherry, and see how I like it, then bump up as needed.

4. Feb 8, 2019 #24

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

I'm notorious for combining flavor oils (it's fun to come up with different flavors). Yes- if the usage rate for each of the 2 flavors you want to combine is 1%, use .5% of each....or .25% of one and .75% of the other....whatever ratio you wish to use that will equal up to 1%.

IrishLass :)

5. Feb 9, 2019 #25

MGM

MGM

MGM

I haven't made any lip balm since I learned about it. I may have just gotten lucky tho, as I don't have more than a couple tubes where I notice grains, and have never noticed them in my lotion bars .

6. Feb 10, 2019 #26

Jeannie Hinyard

Jeannie Hinyard

Jeannie Hinyard

You temper shea butter in much the same way, but it requires holding at a higher temperature. The information I have is from Brambleberry.com. They recommend heating mango and cocoa slowly to 100 degrees and holding at this temperature for 45-60 minutes. Shea butter should be heated to about 180 degrees F and held for 45-60 minutes. Keep a constant, even temperature, which may require turning heat source on and off. Crock pots work well. Pour into an airtight container and place in the fridge or freezer. It gives the butter a very smooth consistency and makes it very easy to scoop.

Ginger Aneshansel and Clarice like this.
  7. Feb 10, 2019 #27

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

We are one... Supporting Member

Thank you very much!

8. Feb 16, 2019 at 2:28 PM #28

Ginger Aneshansel

Ginger Aneshansel

Ginger Aneshansel

Thank you for sharing this "lip scrubs" I also have some balms that got grainy and quit using shea butter because of it. I never knew to temper it.