A bunch of issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhelen

Reaction score
Okaaaay, where do I start?

I have been experimenting with natural colors for my CP soap, and I bought the ebook "Coloring Soap Naturally". First I tried cinnamon and used both the oil infusion for scent and adding cinnamon at trace for color. I insulated the soap so it would gel. It turned out a really disappointing light tan, whereas the photo in the book adding at trace was a lovely chocolate brown. BTW I used half milk half water, could this have been the culprit? Or did the soap not gel properly? I use silicon molds so I put a baking dish upside down on top of them and then covered with blankets and towels.

Then yesterday I tried tomato paste. I didn't use any milk this time and also insulated the soap to darken the color, but I had a peek at it this morning and it turned out a very pale pink rather than the deep orange-red shown in the book. Also it appeared to be sweating. Eww. Does anyone have experience with this book or suggestions about how I can get deeper colors?

One final question. With gelled soaps, is it ok to put them in the freezer after they have gelled (24 hours later or so) for a couple of hours to make them slip out of the molds easier? I just tried to demold the cinnamon soap which I made the day before yesterday and it was way too soft, kinda sticky. Or could there be something wrong with the recipe?

I am now on my eighth batch of soap or so, and so far only one has turned out exactly the way I want it. Wah.

I can't help you with the colorant questions, as I'm still a newbie myself and haven't tried that stuff yet. But yes, you can pop your mold in the freezer for a bit for easier unmolding. Although, some recipes need more than 24 hours to unmold. My oatmeal soap needed 2 days and was still pretty soft when I unmolded, but this time didn't leave fingerprints like when I unmolded after 24 hours last time.

I am going to start with your last question first. Yes, it is fine to freeze your soap for a couple of hours to remove from the mold easier.

I don't have that book, and apparently can't get it through Amazon, so I don't know what the instructions are. If you post the recipes, including the amounts of which colorants you used, I am sure someone can help you.

I don't use cinnamon as a colorant unless I want to mix the dry into the soap for the dotty appearance. I use paprika infused olive oil(1 oz paprika to 8 oz olive oil, simmered for half an hour) to give that color throughout, though. It fools everyone. And the more you use, the darker the soap. If I want it really dark, I use in the neighborhood of 6-8 oz for a 2 lb batch of soap. I use a cinnamon EO with that.

Thanks! Suzie, do you then use 100% olive oil to make your soap, or a percentage? Or could I infuse the paprika in whatever oils I am using? Usually I use 75% olive oil, 15% coconut and 15% palm. Great tip about paprika infusing, I will defiiately try it for my next batch.

You can just subtract however much infused olive oil from your total required for your recipe. I have used paprika, tumeric and cocoa powder for colors and they work pretty well. I've not used cinnamon so can't help there. Also, relying on spices for sent won't work unfortunately.

You can infuse it into whatever liquid oil you are using. Olive oil(cheap yellow stuff) is cheaper for me to buy, so I use it the most often. I have never made 100% OO soap. I just substitute it in an appropriate amount for a portion of the total olive oil called for in the recipe. Then use plain olive oil for the difference. Like so:

Lard-26.4 oz
Castor oil-2.4 oz
Coconut oil- 7.2 oz
Olive oil(infused)- 6 oz
Olive oil(regular)-6 oz

Annato gives a nice orange color when infused the same way. Beta Carotene capsules cut and squirted in give a different orange. Paprika used in smaller amounts will give a nice lemony yellow. Cocoa added at 1 tablespoon/PPO will give you a nice brown, but no scent. Coffee substituted out will give you a cafe au lait color, but no scent. Those are all I have tried, but I am sure many other people have other tricks for natural colorants.

Latest posts

Back