A bizarre thing happened...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just mixed water that contained edta and sugar into oils and it formed into a white billowy cloud, like marshmallow cream. My oils were a bit on the hot side 155F because I stuck them in the microwave for a little too long. I thought I would cool them quickly by sb’ing in the water split. The billowIng started immediately. It was thick! I blended for another minute and the mixture was still thick, like a milkshake. By the time the temperature was at 120F the mixture was more the consistency of oil, but it still looked like milk. Has anyone ever seen this happen? It was very bizarre. Needless to say, I’m mixing more oils...

I just mixed water that contained edta and sugar into oils and it formed into a white billowy cloud, like marshmallow cream. My oils were a bit on the hot side 155F because I stuck them in the microwave for a little too long. I thought I would cool them quickly by sb’ing in the water split. The billowIng started immediately. It was thick! I blended for another minute and the mixture was still thick, like a milkshake. By the time the temperature was at 120F the mixture was more the consistency of oil, but it still looked like milk. Has anyone ever seen this happen? It was very bizarre. Needless to say, I’m mixing more oils...

Wow...it must have been the high temp? Have you invented a new way to whiten batter? :p

I’ve never seen that, but I don’t use edta. I assume the sugar was dissolved, but I dissolve it in my batch water before adding the lye, so no experience there either. I wouldn’t expect to see that when adding it to oils though. So most likely heat related? It must have been both unnerving and cool to see though.

@dibbles @Jersey Girl As soon as I did a mental check that I had not added lye by mistake, it was very cool. Wish I had taken a photo! The sugar was as sugar syrup and I masterbatch the edta, so everything was totally dissolved. Plus, I’ve been soaping the same recipe for days trying to get a soap I’m happy with for the challenge, especially after y’all raised the bar so high on the first posts :).

I saved the concoction and it still looks white, but it’s semi-solidified, so who knows. I’m going to try soaping it tomorrow. If that works, I’m going to try it again from the beginning so I can get a photo!

I just mixed water that contained edta and sugar into oils and it formed into a white billowy cloud, like marshmallow cream.
I do this all the time: I add sugar, EDTA or citric acid and whatever else I might add such as sodium lactate, kaolin clay, etc. to a portion of the water amount. I warm it in the microwave to melt the sugar and then add this to the oils before adding the lye. As you said, when you start stick blending it all appears milky. When it is well mixed, I add the lye water. I have done this for years and the soaps are fine!

I do this all the time: I add sugar, EDTA or citric acid and whatever else I might add such as sodium lactate, kaolin clay, etc. to a portion of the water amount. I warm it in the microwave to melt the sugar and then add this to the oils before adding the lye. As you said, when you start stick blending it all appears milky. When it is well mixed, I add the lye water. I have done this for years and the soaps are fine!
Do you get the billowy marshmallow cream effect? It’s very interesting. Good, now my oils aren’t wasted!

I guess it must be the combination of the heat and the sugar. I’ve never had that happen with oils in the 120-130 range.

I made soap with the marshmallow cream oils today. I thought it was quite slow to trace, but maybe that’s only because I’ve been using so many accelerating FOs lately. Soap is still in the mold, but looks good.

Latest posts

Back