A Bit Confuzzed--Could Someone Please Try To Help Clarify?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krickett

Reaction score
I have recently just finished reading The Handmade Soap Book by Melinda Coss. It seems to be a really good book and has some nice soap recipes in it however she has me a bit confuzzed on measurements/weights. On pages 24 & 25 some of the weights are different and I am wondering if it is a printing error or what? For instance for Almonds (ground) she has only a teaspoon (5g) per lb (454g) of soap is required. Then farther down Borax for instance she says to add about 1 teaspoon (5g) per lb (454g) of soap, then for Bran it says to add about 2 tablespoons (10g) per pound (454g) of soap, shouldnt this have actually been (30g) if a teaspoon is (5g)?
Then farther down still there is Clay she says to use approximately 1 tablespoon (15g) per lb (454g) of soap. There are several of these differences so I am guessing it is a misprint of some sort. And am wondering if the (5g) is accurate for a teaspoon or tablespoon? Any help in clarifying this for me will be greatly welcomed? In advance many Thanks for your time and help!!

Krickett

Many Thanks MakeArt. I have added that link to my soap making things. I have yet to make my first batch of soap--other than M&P that is. I am reading and collecting info as well as ingredients. And there is one other thing I am wondering about. Some recipes call for Tallow isnt Lard the same thing? Or I guess what I am asking is could I use Lard instead of Tallow if it isnt the same thing? Again Thanks to one and all for all the answers and helpful advice!

Krickett

Krickett, Lard is rendered pig fat, and tallow, generally speaking, is rendered beef fat. The saponification numbers are a bit different. Look at a reliable calculator for the sap. values.

www.soapcalc.com is a good one!

Paul

a teaspoon won't always be 5 g--it depends on what you're measuring. for example:
1 cup of sugar is about 7 ounces
1 cup of flour is about 4.25 ounces
1 cup of water is 8 oz.

NEVER assume that volume (tsp, tbsp, cut ml, l) and weight (g, oz, kg, lb) are the same--you can make some mistakes interchanging them.

Teaspoons and tablespoons are the imperial volume measurements and millilitres or mls. are the metric volume measurements. 1 tsp = 5 mls; 1 tbsp = 15 mls.

Grams are metric weight measurements. Sometimes it's confusing alright!

Cathy

Hi!

It's important to run all recipes through a lye calculator. soapcalc.com uses grams and will convert it to ounces for you. However - you should use a scale that will accommodate grams as it is much more accurate for smaller batches.

Many Thx for all the answers and help you all have given me!!

Krickett

Back