A big hello from Devon UK!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura143

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I've been reading through the forums over the last few weeks, and have finally taken the plunge to post and say hi :)

I'm currently studying psychology at university, and my new obsession with learning how to make soap is now becoming a good distraction for coursework, oops! :D

I was looking on Etsy for Christmas gifts for my family, and I came across a soap shop and just blown away with how beautiful handmade soap can be! I've ordered some supplies to try to make my first batch of soap - I've gone for alkanet root for color and peppermint & lavender EOs. Fingers crossed it turns out okay! I can't wait to shower my friends and family with lots of different soaps while I try to work out my favourite recipe :)

I'm really looking forward to learning lots more from you all :)

Hello and welcome! :wave:

There isn't a lot of time left to get soap cured by Christmas. When will you receive your supplies?

I ordered it a few days ago so will be here next week. I'll be seeing my family the week after Christmas so I'm hoping that will give me just enough time to cure it? Otherwise, I'll just give it to them anyway once it's finished curing after Christmas :)

I haven't even made my first soap yet and I think I'm getting hooked - already scribbling down ideas in a notebook! :)

Hello Laura! :wave:

I'd dare to say, that almost anything you need to know about soaping, you can find among the pages and sages on this forum and if you can't, then just ask. Good luck with your first soap! :)

That should be plenty of time because a regular recipe is generally cured at approximately 4 weeks. Do you have a recipe?

The oils I'm using are olive oil, coconut oil and palm oil. I'm still dithering about what percentages of each I need to be using. Am I right in thinking 50% OO, 25% CO & 25% PO will work okay? Would you change the proportions if it were you? I just want to make a basic recipe that'll work for beginners :)

I was going to infuse the alkanet root in some of the olive oil beforehand, and add 1% lavender EO & 1% peppermint EO. Do these levels of EO sound right? I don't want to overdo it with the fragrance but do want to still be able to smell it! :)

When I put the amounts into soap calc, I assume I leave the water % as 38? And would you recommend leaving the superfatting as 5%? I'm still a little confused about superfatting!

Sorry if these are silly questions or anything - I really appreciate any help :)

These aren't silly questions at all. There is a learning curve with soapmaking and it takes awhile to absorb just basic info. Let's not discuss variables at this time - we'll get into those later. :lol:

Those percentages are good that you listed. In fact, I just recommended those oils at those percentages in a previous post for someone who wanted to do her first batch. It's an easy recipe and produces a nice bar which I consider a basic bath soap.

Since you are new, I'd suggest using the default water amount because it will give you a little more time before trace in case you're not sure of what it looks like. I don't want to insult you if you already know this info. Someone described trace as similar in consistency to a cake batter and when you lift the stickblender to dribble some over the surface, the portion remains on top for a few seconds. Here's a video which shows a good example of trace. (However, I'd never say castile soap is ready in a month. I cure mine for at least 6 months and preferably over a year but this is because I don't like the lather. I also don't make it anymore because I prefer lather with big bubbles.)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKBUwV_AbYw[/ame]

1% each of lavender and peppermint is fine. That's about the percentage I use - 2% per pound of oil for some EOs. You could even use slightly more lavender since it's not an irritating oil but please don't go over a total of 3% ppo. eta: I checked I do use 3% ppo for a batch with lavender and lemongrass. I use it at a 2:1 ratio so twice the amount of lavender than lemongrass. This is because lemongrass is a bit strong and can overpower a blend if too much is used. Disclaimer: This is just my opinion and is based on what I like. Other people may prefer a stronger lemongrass scent.

Again, I don't want to insult you if you already know this info. Superfat or lye discount is basically a fudge factor since SAP values are based on averages of how many mg of lye it takes to saponify 1 gram of fat. It also helps in case scales aren't completely accurate. A 5% superfat (lye discount) means you're using 5% less lye than is required for 100% saponification. 5% of the total oils remain unsaponified - free oils which mostly remain on your skin as an emollient. It depends on what you prefer to use as a superfat and only experimentation in using varied superfats will you find out what is best for your skin.

I started out using 5% superfat combined with 30% coconut oil because this is what I was told would make a nice soap. After a few batches, I realized that it wasn't good for me because it was too drying. It took me several batches to figure out because I thought I was doing something wrong and not an issue with the recipe of too much coconut and not enough of a lye discount. But I have dry skin and for other people this would be perfect for them. I learned to use a higher superfat and less coconut oil. Most of my recipes have a range of 19%-25% coconut with a 7%-8% superfat. When I make soap for a BIL and nephews, I use 5% superfat because it's what they prefer. The values the 50% OO/25% CO/25% PO are in the range of values I like to see when formulating for them.

To condense the ramblings of the previous paragraphs - 5% is fine for some skin types but if you have really dry skin, you might want to change it to 7% or 8%. This is enough of a boost to allow a little more free oil but not enough to suppress the lather. If you can get some castor oil, you could add 5% to your batch since it would help to boost the conditioning a little, increase the bubbles a bit, adds a little creaminess and help to make the lather more stable. I love castor oil and now use it in every recipe. You don't need it to make a lovely soap. Some soapers never use it. But I like what it brings to the party. ;)

My basic recipe for BIL and nephews is the one below with a 5% SF.

45% Olive oil
25% Coconut oil
25% Palm oil
5% Castor oil

Last edited:
Back