80% Lard Soaps..OK, I Get it Now.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate the advice about the micas. I just received some samples from Nurture Soaps and I'm dying to try a column swirl this weekend. Now...if I can only get my husband to make me that mold asap :)

I made the 80% lard/20% coconut oil and got a light case of DOS on my sparkly white Angel Wings soaps. But I superfatted at 8% for reasons I don't remember. So I was kind of asking for it.

With all this ENABLING going on, Imma try it again this weekend. If it fails, I'm coming after Obsidian for inspiring me to do this, along with salt bars, pumice bars, anise-scented bars...she's like the Pied Piper of soapy experimentation.

Bring it! lol I use 8% with my lard soap and have never gotten DOS but there is virtually no humidity here.

I'm making a green tea and mugwort swirl salt bar tomorrow, mugwort is said to be good for the skin. Try it, you know you want too.

Last edited:
Darn you all to heck!!! My precious Angel Wings were green tea scented. Behold my DOS, Temptress of Darkness! I shall defeat your recipe, and I shall rule the soap world!!
Um, sorry. Ahem, I mean, I shall make a nice lard-coconut oil soap.

Angel 1.jpg

Just said to my dog "we are going to have to buy that big ass box of lard from Smart and Final, bud." He looked at me quizzically, but I think he sort gets it, if not, looks forward to licking the outside of the box. For those of you w/dogs, how do you get them to stop that? JK, kind of.

Edited to say: I don't sell and any giftee knows that there is going to be some Freddie DNA, some way/some how on my soap. Sorry if that is gross.

Last edited:
On lard soap making days all the freaky little furry fiends know to line up for a dab of lard in their bowls. Makes the dogs coats shiny, and cuts down on nasty hair balls from the cats.

I have more cats than I care to mention, and occasionally there is a car hair in my oils. I usually get it out in time, but for all I know, I haven't gotten them all out. No one has complained so far, but it's a good thing I don't sell.

P.S. Does anyone want to buy me a barn or other outbuilding just for cat-free soap-making? Free soaps for life and, uh, hugs.

There's the occasional Bichon Frise hair in mine, what with having two of them. I usually catch it. I hope.

Fortunately, my hair is very short and doesn't tend to fall out anyway.

My hair is longer, blacker, and distinguishable from Fred's, I find mine way more disgusting than his. Although I think potential soap users would um, not like either variety. I really do not know how I would deal with if I sold, Freddie sheds quite a bit. I can usually fish the hairs out, but not not sure if I am I always perfect. Hopefully the lye breaks that stuff down :)

Ah grumpy,
If I wasn't a days drive from you, I'd go on with you on a soapy property prefurnished with a soapy shed.

Prewired with air conditioning and a water line, of course!

Think we could meet in the middle, and I know a lard lover is nearby somewhere...

Lookin at you Susie!

Only one day, Lionprincess? Let's buy a cabin on the bayou and build a shed out back for soaping. Guaranteed cat-hair-free and unlimited local lard.

I love this thread for so many reasons! :grin: Love my lard bars but the highest I've gone is 50% so far. Now I'm going to have to try 80%. Also, I'd have to wear a spacesuit or set up a cleanroom environment in order to keep any cat hair from following me into my soaping room. And even that probably wouldn't work. So I guess I'll just have to keep staring intently at my bowl of oils to suss out the occasional hair.

How long did you wait to unmold the 80% lard soap? I would think it would be pretty soft still after 24 hours that I usually wait.

Only one day, Lionprincess? Let's buy a cabin on the bayou and build a shed out back for soaping. Guaranteed cat-hair-free and unlimited local lard.

You don't want to live on the bayou, too many mosquitoes, and too many DEQ regulations these days. Let's build a soaping community out in the country somewhere.

Yes! A soaper's retreat, like those fancy-schmancy writing ones. I can imagine the heated discussions about palm-no palm, butters v. animal fats, eos v. fos, though. We might have to have a time-out room :)

I think a soaping retreat wouldn't need it... After all, knitters & crocheters don't have time-out rooms on their retreats and I've seen some epic internet acrylic-vs-wool fights!

Latest posts

Back