80/20 coconut oil and 80/20 tallow soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sholdy

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with batches of 80% coconut oil.

My first batch was 80% coconut oil, 10% shea butter and 10% unrefined avocado oil. It's about 4 days old now (I RTOP'd it) and the colour the unrefined AVO gave it is wonderful. It's a pale, natural green. I swirled a wee portion using Glacial Clay (Green) in the pot.

The suds are great and the soap feels wonderful. I really like it and it was so easy to make using only three oils.

I didn't put any additives in it at all (unusual for me). No GM, no Sodium lactate, no silk, no nothing. Just the oils and lye mixture (and clay for the swirl), just to keep it simple for the first try.

For the tallow soap, I used the same recipe, substituting tallow for coconut oil and pink clay for glacial clay. Amazing lather! Creamier than the coconut oil soap, and very white soap (apart from the pink swirls).

Does anybody else have experience with using coconut oil or tallow at such high percentages?

I do the high coconut one quite often. Sometimes I'll do 100% CO, or 70% -80% along with different butters and a 15% - 20% superfat. They are well-loved bars among my family and friends.

I have a high tallow blend that I do, too- 65% tallow, 12% olive, and 23% castor @ 5% superfat. It makes a nice, hard bar with very nice creamy/foamy-bubbly lather.

For your tallow soap, do you make it with 80% tallow and 20% coconut?

IrishLass

The tallow soap I made has no coconut oil in it at all. It's 80% tallow, and 10/10 shea butter/avo.

Do you find the 100% coconut oil soap drying?

No, I don't find the coconut one drying at all, but then again, it's very highly superfatted. 8) I bet if I did my normal 5% superfat with it then I would have a much different story to tell. :shock: :lol:

IrishLass

Sholdy said:
My first batch was 80% coconut oil, 10% shea butter and 10% unrefined avocado oil. It's about 4 days old now (I RTOP'd it) and the colour the unrefined AVO gave it is wonderful. It's a pale, natural green. I swirled a wee portion using Glacial Clay (Green) in the pot.

For the tallow soap, I used the same recipe, substituting tallow for coconut oil and pink clay for glacial clay. Amazing lather! Creamier than the coconut oil soap, and very white soap (apart from the pink swirls).

Sounds wonderful!! Are the pics up yet? :lol: :lol:

Digit

The tallow soap I made has no coconut oil in it at all. It's 80% tallow, and 10/10 shea butter/avo.

Do you find the 100% coconut oil soap drying?

Do you get bubbles with the Tallow soap? I thought tallow is low lathering... and your other 2 nice oils don't really contribute to the lathering factor either :?:

I personally find 100% coconut oil soap drying, even at 20% super fat (unless it's a salt bar). But I have dry skin :oops:

Ok, first time using image shack, but here goes:

Left is the tallow soap, swirled with pink clay and a touch of maddar root. It traced very fast and had to be scooped into the mold.

Right is the coconut oil soap, using unrefined avocado oil for the base colour and green glacial clay for the darker swirl.

I used the same fragrance in each batch, so that doesn't account for such a huge difference in trace.

Sorry, that's the best picture I got! Need to practice that. :lol:

Back