8 Cup/ 2 Liter Borocilicate Glass

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It opens up to an 8-cup product for me.

1652185511051.png

Strange...not what I get. I get 2 33oz. pitchers.

Oh the pyrex one? When she said "finally" I thought it was something unusual. 8 cup pyrex cups are plentiful where I am.

Can you melt fats directly on glass cooktop without double boiler?
I'm sorry, I don't know because I've never done that and can't recall anyone who uses that method. I use the microwave on HIGH to melt FAs (*Fatty Acids).
the link you sent is not 8 cup unless you use 2 of them
Weird. I just checked and the link works for me. Hmmm 🤔 Try copy & paste the text into Google to see if that takes you to it.
Oh the pyrex one? 8 cup pyrex cups are plentiful where I am.
Nope. Not Pyrex. Amazon Brand. Pyrex used to make borosilicate measuring cups but no longer does. :(

Yes of course, I do too. But I meant with this glass one. My thoughts would be to avoid that with glass but I wondered if others knew differently.
Sorry, you mentioned a “glass cooktop” so that’s what I thought you were asking about.

For using a glass container directly on a cooktop, I’m only aware of one older style of glass cookware (Corningware Visions) that could be used directly on a stove. If you have some of that, I don’t see why you couldn’t melt fats directly in that on low heat. I see those pieces for sale on EBay and in thrift stores pretty regularly, but have never owned any. If you give that a go for melting fats, please let us know how you like it.

I've seen people (on TV, youtube, not in person face-to-face) use glass coffee pots & some other glassware on stove-top, but I have never done so, even with my Corningware. I know it withstands high heat, as my Corninware electric skillet has settings as high as 450° F or so and I use them in my oven quite a lot for baking. But I prefer steel or cast iron for stove-top cooking. It's just the way I am. One reason is probably because I don't like the Corningware handles (detachable - a pain in the neck, IMO) and I cook with gas, so I am even less likely to want to use glass on the heavy grates of my stove.

Although I have used glass-top stove-tops while traveling, I am so unfamiliar with them, that I am always a little fearful that I may damage the surface even with steel pots and pans. I did have one in the tiny house my granddaughter & I lived in in San Antonio for a few months, and did learn that at least it wasn't as fragile as I feared it might be. ;)

I rather liked the idea of the liter/33oz. ones.
I like that size too! If I had a glass cooktop, based on this discussion, I would first check with the manufacturer and then set the dial to 160°F and try warming the FAs in that. But that's just me -- more wishful thinking than brains sometimes. 😁

I'm sorry, I don't know because I've never done that and can't recall anyone who uses that method. I use the microwave on HIGH to melt FAs (*Fatty Acids).

Weird. I just checked and the link works for me. Hmmm 🤔 Try copy & paste the text into Google to see if that takes you to it.

Nope. Not Pyrex. Amazon Brand. Pyrex used to make borosilicate measuring cups but no longer does. :(
Hi! I personally think it’s best to heat your oils & butters in a water bath, indirectly. I use a single Induction Cooktop that only works with Stainless Steel. It does not recognize Glass or Aluminum. If you use a stainless steel pot and add water then insert your Pyrex Cup and heat to melt. Just my thoughts. Hope it helps. Blessings!

Hi! I personally think it’s best to heat your oils & butters in a water bath, indirectly. I use a single Induction Cooktop that only works with Stainless Steel. It does not recognize Glass or Aluminum. If you use a stainless steel pot and add water then insert your Pyrex Cup and heat to melt. Just my thoughts. Hope it helps. Blessings!
I'm curious as to why you believe this (and I mean that respectfully so please hear it that way). :)

Many of us melt our oils in a pot on low heat, with no issues. I used to use a water bath (aka double-boiler, aka bain marie) but there are no differences in soap made one way as opposed to the other.

I could see that there might be differences for more delicate ingredients going into a lotion. But for ingredients that will be exposed to the exothermic reaction and caustic nature of the lye solution, I don't see how a water bath is necessary to preserve any oil qualities as they are going to be changed through saponification anyway.

I'm curious as to why you believe this (and I mean that respectfully so please hear it that way). :)

Many of us melt our oils in a pot on low heat, with no issues. I used to use a water bath (aka double-boiler, aka bain marie) but there are no differences in soap made one way as opposed to the other.

I could see that there might be differences for more delicate ingredients going into a lotion. But for ingredients that will be exposed to the exothermic reaction and caustic nature of the lye solution, I don't see how a water bath is necessary to preserve any oil qualities as they are going to be changed through saponification anyway.
I don’t use a Microwave for anything. It’s my preference. I did for M&P but found a water bath works best because it keeps it from solidifying while using. I was taught that it prevents overheating and insulates, as in Professional Oil Wax Melters. They use a Water Jacket. Since the question was about melting your oils using a glass Pyrex Cup, I chimed in. Soap making is an Art that is made in as many different ways as there are Artist. Everyone has their own way of doing things. I never meant to insinuate that “My Way” is “The Way” and must be adhered. That is why I started my statement by saying, “I Personally”. Blessings!

I don’t use a Microwave for anything. It’s my preference. I did for M&P but found a water bath works best because it keeps it from solidifying while using. I was taught that it prevents overheating and insulates, as in Professional Oil Wax Melters. They use a Water Jacket. Since the question was about melting your oils using a glass Pyrex Cup, I chimed in. Soap making is an Art that is made in as many different ways as there are Artist. Everyone has their own way of doing things. I never meant to insinuate that “My Way” is “The Way” and must be adhered. That is why I started my statement by saying, “I Personally”. Blessings!
No worries, I didn’t take it at all that you were saying your way was the only way. I do understand that some folks don’t like microwaves, and why they feel that way.

But I was genuinely curious as to what benefits the water bath might bring to the process, as opposed to melting the oils directly in a stove-safe glass pot on the stovetop (not microwave).

Just because I can’t discern a difference in the finished soap, doesn’t mean that there isn’t a good reason of which I’m unaware. I’m always open to learning, even if the answer is that you just prefer it that way. 😊

Latest posts

Back