76 vs 96 Coconut oil impact to hardness of soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I need your advice. I have read online about 92F coconut oil yielding harder bars than 76F bars. Is their truth to this? Part of me thinks it has to be true since the 92F oil is solid at room temp, but part of me thinks the saponification process may nullify this somehow. Plus, soapcalc does not seem to change hardness of the bar when I switch between the two in my recipe.

Anyone have first hand experience to the impacts?
thanks
steven

Hello all, I need your advice. I have read online about 92F coconut oil yielding harder bars than 76F bars. Is their truth to this? Part of me thinks it has to be true since the 92F oil is solid at room temp, but part of me thinks the saponification process may nullify this somehow. Plus, soapcalc does not seem to change hardness of the bar when I switch between the two in my recipe.
Anyone have first hand experience to the impacts?
thanks
steven
Hi Steven, this is not true. Although 92 vs 76 Coconut oil have different melting points, the end result in soap is practically identical, and one does not yield a harder bar than the other.
At least that has been my experience when I switched from 92 to 76 because it's easier to masterbatch with the 76.

Latest posts

Back