75% olive oil 25% coconut oil cure time?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patty88

Reaction score
Hello all, last week I tried a new formula with what I had on hand. It is a 75% olive oil and 25% coconut oil blend. It is still really soft and sticky after a week! I was hoping to give the bars out for Christmas, but is this likely to be ready in 5.5 weeks? Newbie here so I didnt realize that castille soaps sometimes cure for 6 months! So I assume a 75% OO soap may be similar. It's not the end of the world if not ready, all learning experience, just wondering what I should expect.

It was a 1 lb batch (12oz olive, 4oz coconut), 5% superfat, I added 1 tsp sodium lactate and a bit of lavender EO. There was 5oz of water in the recipe.

It is out of the mold and cut and sitting on the vent in my bathroom evenly spaced... I have no idea if the airflow is helping but if not I am pretending it is :) thank you for your time.

Edit: oh I forgot to add. I did not gel the soap either if that makes a difference.

It prob won't be sticky in 5 weeks, but I don't think it will quite reach its potential by Christmas.

Also, I think you'd better not cure them in your bathroom. Its pretty humid in there, even next to the vent. I cure mine on my front landing (my apartment is very dark and cool; I live in Austin, Texas, so its not SUPER dry but not Florida either) on a wire rack for good air circulation (but with a piece of paper underneath so it won't possibly react with the metal of the rack).

It will probably take quote some time due to high OO. It certainly won’t be at its best in 5-6 weeks. I also agree with not curing it in your bathroom. Someplace with good circulation. Don’t cure it on metal either.

You are cutting it close in curing time to get any soap to be ready by Christmas.

Latest posts

Back