70% Rice Bran Oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a request from a friend to teach her how to HP soap. She was only in town for my quilting retreat, so had to come up with a recipe where I could get all my stuff and the containers for the oils in one box (too many quilting projects for more than one box)...in retrospect it would have been easier to just use your recipe by pre-measuring all the ingredients but felt she needed to learn how to use the scale and equipment. So my smallest containers were RBO, PKO, Cocoa and Shea Butters and Castor oil. I finally used 45% RBO, 20% PKO 15% for both butters and 5 % Castor.

Both of us were fairly surprised at the creamy lather while we were cleaning up. I left her with the instructions that she couldn't use the soap until at least the 6 week mark and better at 8 or even 6 months. She cheated and started using hers at 4 weeks and absolutely loves it! I cut my bar in half and gave my daughter a portion to try out. We used ours this week for the first time. It is lovely. I noticed that it lathers easily, but rinses off so easily that I wondered if I had actually put soap on my cloth. No overly squeaky clean feeling, and best of all no dry feeling.

Now I want to try out some at least a little higher with the RBO (may even try out a 100% RBO soap), am thinking of cutting the PKO or even a tad on the butters. This is by far the best soap that I have made....I may have just found my favorite oil to use. Thank you, Dawni, for this write up as I'm not sure I would have tried RBO without reading this. I'm tossing my olive oil...this is head and shoulders above anything I've ever made with it. Love it. Thanks again
Yes. It will help harden your bar. It has about the same amount of palmitic FA (16-25%), as avocado oil (15-25%).

:)That’s ok. It’s just that on this forum so many people misuse “Castile” and then confusion sets in...
Also Castile is a hobby horse of mine - you might have noticed - and I get a bit defensive...:rolleyes:
I think there really is a difference between the OO we get and the OO you get in the US.
It is well documented that, because of its' price, OO is the most adulterated vegetable oil on the market. Several investigations found it to be over 50% canola oil. I only buy from reputable vendors, and never from retail stores.

Last edited:
So this soap has passed the one year mark... And I'm happy to report no DOS yet. Woohoo!

It is considerably lighter than when it was first made. The lather is awesome, a bit more, if not just like my last post from January.

It is still the only soap my son's skin likes - he's been at my cousin's recently for an extended period, and when they tried another soap on him his poor little legs got so dry, and he had flaky patches.. When they got a bar from home, his skin went back to normal in just a couple of days.

I'm looking into putting these up for sale now that it's been tested long enough, with just a few tweaks for a bit more hardness and longevity.

Yeah I should take some new pics.. The first post has a pic of freshly made soap, and there's a blurred one here lol. I shall update for you soon as the lil guy naps.

More info in the original post.... But the recipe is this:
70% infused RBO, 16% coconut oil, 10% Shea, 4% Castor. No additives whatsoever other than salt and sugar.

I had the calendula infusion on hand already, hence why I decided to make this soap that time. I am thinking of upping the Shea a bit and/or adding some cocoa butter, for a little more of both hardness and longevity, coz while the current recipe lasts enough, it's a very soft soap. It starts of as a square and by the time the lil guy is done with it it's more like a ball lol

It is currently a very cheap soap to make..

So this soap has passed the one year mark... And I'm happy to report no DOS yet. Woohoo!

It is considerably lighter than when it was first made. The lather is awesome, a bit more, if not just like my last post from January.

It is still the only soap my son's skin likes - he's been at my cousin's recently for an extended period, and when they tried another soap on him his poor little legs got so dry, and he had flaky patches.. When they got a bar from home, his skin went back to normal in just a couple of days.

I'm looking into putting these up for sale now that it's been tested long enough, with just a few tweaks for a bit more hardness and longevity.
Mine is great, too, Dawni. I love this soap. It is a bit softer, but the lather is fabulous, and it is the mildest soap I have ever made. I have actually used it at the kitchen sink when I started washing my hands a kazillion times a day, and it really helped to keep my hands from being dry.

I was happy to see this post today as I have a bunch of RBO to use up and had been thinking about 70/15/15 RBO / CO / butter (was considering kokum as I have another soap with kokum at 20% and kokum plus lard actually made it a smidge too hard).

Hope

@KiwiMoose here's your pic :)
IMG_20200804_125924.jpg

And the one from the first post for comparison
IMG_20190606_154255.jpg

How do you ladies think this would work as a soleseif (upping CO a bit). Wouldn't that help harden it a bit as well?
Hallo Hope Ann :)

The soleseife I make, use and sell does have RBO at 30%, Shea also 10% like this one, Castor Oil at 5% (1% more than this one), but with coconut oil making up 35%.

I also use avocado oil at 20% so if you wanna try all the soft oil amount to be just RBO (total 50% in this case) I say go ahead and do it. Let us know the results!

Soleseifes in general are very hard bars of soap once they're cured, because of the generally high amount of coconut oil used.

I was happy to see this post today as I have a bunch of RBO to use up and had been thinking about 70/15/15 RBO / CO / butter (was considering kokum as I have another soap with kokum at 20% and kokum plus lard actually made it a smidge too hard).
I think the kokum will do a better job than the shea here in hardening your bar, and increase longevity too.. Although this one already lasts a good 2mos or so as long as it doesn't sit in water for long.

Last edited:
Hallo Hope Ann :)

The soleseife I make, use and sell does have RBO at 30%, Shea also 10% like this one, Castor Oil at 5% (1% more than this one), but with coconut oil making up 35%.

I also use avocado oil at 20% so if you wanna try all the soft oil amount to be just RBO (total 50% in this case) I say go ahead and do it. Let us know the results!

Soleseifes in general are very hard bars of soap once they're cured, because of the generally high amount of coconut oil used.

I think the kokum will do a better job than the shea here in hardening your bar, and increase longevity too.. Although this one already lasts a good 2mos or so as long as it doesn't sit in water for long.
I don't make soleseife bars, so I can't comment on that. This is NOT the softest bar of soap I have ever made. It is just softer than a bar that has a lot of coconut or other hard oils in it. It lasts a good period of time if kept dry, as Dawni pointed out.

Just a question Dawni - is your RBO bright yellow/gold (even orange-y) in the bottle? I always try and buy the lightest coloured brand I can but they're all pretty yellow. Your soap doesn't seem to have been affected by the colour.

Just a question Dawni - is your RBO bright yellow/gold (even orange-y) in the bottle? I always try and buy the lightest coloured brand I can but they're all pretty yellow. Your soap doesn't seem to have been affected by the colour.
Yes it is orangey... Like a light honey?

I tweaked the original recipe to add a bit of hardness and longevity to the soap. I wish I remembered to take pics, but it was lovely at just 2 months. I can share if anyone is interested?

I seriously love the texture of this soap in the pot. I made it again, coz I now decided to add it to my shop. Not usual words for HP but it was shiny, and smooth & "silky" which sadly, the video I posted in the other thread didn't really show.

Here's my favourite bar.. Would you look at that beauty lol
IMG_20200921_121246.jpg

And bonus wet soap tops
IMG_20200920_220430_391.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! It's gorgeous! Please share. It makes me want to soap again. I have this recipe and your triple rice on my "to-do" list for when my back lets me soap again. I need to send my kids in Hawaii a soap package soon and that will just about use up my cured soaps. I could use a great soap with a two month cure. I figure if it gets no DOS in the Philippines that it will stand up in Hawaii, too. Not all of the soap that I make in dry Idaho acts the same in Hawaii. LOL

I figure if it gets no DOS in the Philippines that it will stand up in Hawaii, too. Not all of the soap that I make in dry Idaho acts the same in Hawaii. LOL
Lol it should I think. Tell em to store it in the most well ventilated part of the house haha. I still have a few bars from the original post - no DOS still and I'm very happy about that.

I dropped the RBO quite a bit, so I also dropped the coconut, to account for additional butters. I like my longevity at 30 and this it what I got.
IMG_20200922_010117.jpg
IMG_20200922_010036.jpg

Cleansing still low, conditioning somewhere in the middle, hardness and longevity good for me. I soaped this batch at 2.5:1 and I could have gone lower since I didn't need to swirl. Didn't need yogurt either and I'm sure you can manage colors and swirls for this recipe without it. Additives aside from salt n sugar are my usual rice powder and coconut milk powder, and nothing else.

Hope you're not struggling too much with your back. Soap can wait :)

Lol it should I think. Tell em to store it in the most well ventilated part of the house haha. I still have a few bars from the original post - no DOS still and I'm very happy about that.

I dropped the RBO quite a bit, so I also dropped the coconut, to account for additional butters. I like my longevity at 30 and this it what I got.
View attachment 49777View attachment 49778
Cleansing still low, conditioning somewhere in the middle, hardness and longevity good for me. I soaped this batch at 2.5:1 and I could have gone lower since I didn't need to swirl. Didn't need yogurt either and I'm sure you can manage colors and swirls for this recipe without it. Additives aside from salt n sugar are my usual rice powder and coconut milk powder, and nothing else.

Hope you're not struggling too much with your back. Soap can wait :)
Thank you so much for this recipe @Dawni. I live in Tamilnadu and made a batch of Bastille soap with 90% olive oil, 5% of coconut and castor each. I bought the cold pressed olive oil from LimeArt, Coimbatore. While unmoulding the soap after 3 days, the soap smelled very bad and it was fully yellowish in colour. The entire batch got wasted. I don't know what went wrong. I wanted to make a baby soap after that but was afraid to spend too much money. I felt very happy after seeing your recipe as RBO is cheap here..By the way, can I use the same recipe in cold process??

Back