70% Rice Bran Oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BRO oil soap would not go rancid/ develop DOS.
It looks like the article you linked is about cold processed/pressed oil. As I understand it, from limited research, much of the RBO on the market is solvent extracted using hexane. I’m trying to learn more, but at this point it’s not clear to me that the antioxidants are preserved in the extraction process. I do love the way RBO bubbles.

It looks like the article you linked is about cold processed/pressed oil. As I understand it, from limited research, much of the RBO on the market is solvent extracted using hexane. I’m trying to learn more, but at this point, it’s not clear to me that the antioxidants are preserved in the extraction process. I do love the way RBO bubbles.

page 3 of the PDF

Extraction of rice bran oil

Oil of stabilized rice bran was extracted into hexanes using Soxhlet apparatus. The extraction was carried out on a water bath set at 50 oC for 8-9 h with 300 mL of n-hexanes. After extraction, the solvent was distilled off in vacuo at 45°C. The extracted oil was stored at -20 oC until further analysis.

I have yet to try RBO. I’ve never seen it cheap though. I keep trying to get it at Lowe’s when it’s on sale but ours must not keep a lot of it around. I have recently tried hemp and so far love the lather of it but either the oil or the mix of fragrance I used makes me think of wet dog.

I made a small batch with 60% RBO, rest CO, 2 butters and castor. HP soap, feel very optimistic about it, the leftover piece lathers lovely and feels nice. Thank you for the inspiration! Now waiting for curing :)

OT to @Dawni -- I hope you and yours are reasonably safe from the volcano in the southern part of the Philippines. The eruption sounds scary and dangerous!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2680f8-35cd-11ea-a1ff-c48c1d59a4a1_story.html
We are, thanks for asking :)

It's actually the southwest-ish part of the northern main island. I am towards the southeast, so that's northeast of the volcano though downwind most of the time. Still getting ash today, classes and government offices have been suspended til further notice here, including the capital, Manila.

The volcano is within a lake, actually a beautiful tourist spot, and one of our favorites to unwind. Hoping all the people down there find adequate shelter..... And that the place won't be too destroyed, so that they can get back to their lives relatively unscathed.

Good to hear that you are safe. We have a daughter on the island of Hawaii. They went through an eruption a couple years ago. They are safe but some of the most beautiful places on the island were covered with lava. So sad to see them gone. I hope your lake is still there and the people can carry on with their lives. Am following on the news. Stay safe.
Lois

We are, thanks for asking :)

It's actually the southwest-ish part of the northern main island. I am towards the southeast, so that's northeast of the volcano though downwind most of the time. Still getting ash today, classes and government offices have been suspended til further notice here, including the capital, Manila.

The volcano is within a lake, actually a beautiful tourist spot, and one of our favorites to unwind. Hoping all the people down there find adequate shelter..... And that the place won't be too destroyed, so that they can get back to their lives relatively unscathed.

Been thinking about you, Dawni. Do stay safe! You have long distance friends that want you to help us make soap!

I made a small batch with 60% RBO, rest CO, 2 butters and castor. HP soap, feel very optimistic about it, the leftover piece lathers lovely and feels nice. Thank you for the inspiration! Now waiting for curing :)

I hope you enjoy your soap as much as I am enjoying mine. It is so gentle to my old lady skin, and since I have been using it in the kitchen, my hands are so much better.

I hope you enjoy your soap as much as I am enjoying mine. It is so gentle to my old lady skin, and since I have been using it in the kitchen, my hands are so much better.
Still waiting for cure, but the leftover piece is very luxury indeed! And I added some corn silk that gives an extra shine, like a pearl.

I got a request from a friend to teach her how to HP soap. She was only in town for my quilting retreat, so had to come up with a recipe where I could get all my stuff and the containers for the oils in one box (too many quilting projects for more than one box)...in retrospect it would have been easier to just use your recipe by pre-measuring all the ingredients but felt she needed to learn how to use the scale and equipment. So my smallest containers were RBO, PKO, Cocoa and Shea Butters and Castor oil. I finally used 45% RBO, 20% PKO 15% for both butters and 5 % Castor.

Both of us were fairly surprised at the creamy lather while we were cleaning up. I left her with the instructions that she couldn't use the soap until at least the 6 week mark and better at 8 or even 6 months. She cheated and started using hers at 4 weeks and absolutely loves it! I cut my bar in half and gave my daughter a portion to try out. We used ours this week for the first time. It is lovely. I noticed that it lathers easily, but rinses off so easily that I wondered if I had actually put soap on my cloth. No overly squeaky clean feeling, and best of all no dry feeling.

Now I want to try out some at least a little higher with the RBO (may even try out a 100% RBO soap), am thinking of cutting the PKO or even a tad on the butters. This is by far the best soap that I have made....I may have just found my favorite oil to use. Thank you, Dawni, for this write up as I'm not sure I would have tried RBO without reading this. I'm tossing my olive oil...this is head and shoulders above anything I've ever made with it. Love it. Thanks again

I’d love to know if you test out 100% RBO. I’ve yet to buy or use it at all but from what I’ve been reading it’s a good additional at the least. Does RBO harden the bar at all?

I’d love to know if you test out 100% RBO. I’ve yet to buy or use it at all but from what I’ve been reading it’s a good additional at the least. Does RBO harden the bar at all?
no, you need some hard oils in the recipe. I have used lard and PKO with both shea and cocoa butters to help with the hardness and longevity. A lot of people substitute RBO for olive oil. For sure I like it better.

I haven't tried 100% RBO, but did try making a 100% Sunflower Oil a month back. It was pretty soft and sticky... not a big fan. Maybe RBO will be similar as they're both fairly similar in consistency at room temp (different fatty acid profiles of course). Im also guessing an unusually long curing time maybe (like olive oil castille soaps)? I'll check mine in 3 months or so and see if some miracle happens :D

My favorite RBO soap so far is 80% RBO, 15% PKO, and 5% castor. It does produce a soap that stays sticky in the mold for a couple of days, and I cured it for 8 months before I started using it. It is my favorite soap so far. It is very gentle, rinses clean, with no dryness or tightness. It has really helped my very dry skin. It is a tad bit slimey, like castile, when you first work up a lather, but it is less slimey than castile. I do not like OO soap at all, but I really like this. I actually hid it from myself so that I would not be tempted to use it, and when I found it again, it was a happy surprise. It is not a really hard bar, but hard enough, and I find if I keep it dry, it lasts almost as long as my other soaps. The lather is good, but I have relatively soft water from an artesian aquifer. Yes, I have great water, and I am very grateful for it every day.

My next try will include some lard to increase the hardness, and I will probably drop the castor. I am into simple soaps since I make them for myself and my family, and I am on a quest to really narrow down what oils I am going to keep on hand after trying nearly everything. RBO is definitely a keeper for me.

I would like to try this recipe using the hot process
For the most part, the only process that I use is crockpot HP. I would like to try out oven process but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Only have done CP twice and am not a fan of the clean up nor the fact that it has not saponified, so unless I have a reason (like swirls or colored layers) I doubt that I will change my methods.

LOL, I had to chuckle at this thread. @Dawni has me addicted to RBO as well. I started using it after she commented on a few of my recipe disasters and recommended switching from OO to RBO. I made the switch and have been happy with the change.
I too am a Hot processor ... did CP once and probably wont do it again.
I might have to give this a try. RBO castille :)

Back