70% Rice Bran Oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Mobjack Bay I think I will agree with you. @beckster51 I think if I made this with only RBO I won't be raving about it as I am. My soap has less CO than MBs but also has castor, even has shea for a lil more longevity.

I still compared it to OO in one of my replies because I do have a soap that has it with the all the other mentioned fats... And the RBO trumps that one still, in terms of lather, longevity and snot, if compared at 2mos and 4.5mos.

That tells me that while high olive oil soaps should be cured longer at maybe minimum 9-12mos, a high RBO will be good at maybe 5-7mos. I initially thought they'd need more or less the same time.

Biggest "selling point" is that this soap isn't drying, compared to olive oil, for me. Of course, as with all soap, they will all get better as they age.....

Thanks for the update and the inspiration. I couldn’t resist testing the soy wax soap I made this past weekend with 30% RBO. I never test soap that early... IMHO, it’s fantastic.

@beckster51 My soap also has 20% CO and no castor. It’s very bubbly, so maybe it’s recipe dependent?

Yes, I am sure the CO makes it more bubbly, but I have had to forego some bubbles in my soap since my skin cannot tolerate CO. I haven't made a soap with 15% CO yet to see if it is tolerable, but it is on my list to do so.

Thanks for the update and the inspiration. I couldn’t resist testing the soy wax soap I made this past weekend with 30% RBO. I never test soap that early... IMHO, it’s fantastic.

@beckster51 My soap also has 20% CO and no castor. It’s very bubbly, so maybe it’s recipe dependent?

Was this suppose to be in the Soy Wax thread?

Update anyone? Hehehe..

So this soap has just hit its 7th month and as expected, it's a lovely soap to use. I've been using a bar on my toddler since the 6th month mark and he just loves it.

My last update showed creamy lather with tiny bubbles. Now, my son is able to play with big bubbles in the lather. Bath time is taking longer than usual lol I'll try to get a pic later.

Also I'd like to note, and this is purely anecdotal, that his tiny butt is smoother than it used to be, considering how much it's washed after pooping. Second, he had these rough spots on his legs that seem to have disappeared.

TMI? Sorry about that lol previously he was using a Bastile I bought from someone else. She said it cured for 3mos and it was ok, but now that he's using my soap I'm more convinced that olive oil just isn't for everyone.

Lastly.... No signs of DOS yet. No orange spots and no old crayon smell. This batch is unscented, FYI.

That's wonderful, Dawni. Not TMI for me - LOL. I have had the same experience with my very high RBO soaps. They seem a bit "slimy", like castile, sometimes when I first wet them, but they are tremendously mild for my skin, and I have not had any DOS or rancidity. Mine are about a year old. I will definitely be making more. What did you use for your other 30% if you don't mind me asking?

@Dawni @beckster51 - It’s very interesting that you’re not getting DOS, especially if you’re breaking the 15% linoleic + linolenic “rule.” Are either of you adding ROE, EDTA citric acid or similar to you soaps? If you’re willing to share, how high is the linoleic FA percentage in you recipe? Is like the mildness and really like the bubbles of my RBO soaps, but do worry about DOS.

"So... 70% infused RBO, 16% coconut oil, 10% Shea, 4% Castor. No additives whatsoever other than salt and sugar. Mainly coz I forgot."
From the 1st post , I am guessing that is her recipe

@Dawni I wonder if you added CB instead of Shea if it would be a bit harder faster ?

Yes, I am sure the CO makes it more bubbly, but I have had to forego some bubbles in my soap since my skin cannot tolerate CO. I haven't made a soap with 15% CO yet to see if it is tolerable, but it is on my list to do so.
Have you thought about using PKO instead?

Last edited:
"So... 70% infused RBO, 16% coconut oil, 10% Shea, 4% Castor. No additives whatsoever other than salt and sugar. Mainly coz I forgot."
From the 1st post , I am guessing that is her recipe

@Dawni I wonder if you added CB instead of Shea if it would be a bit harder faster ?

Have you thought about using PKO instead?

I always use babassu or PKO as a sub for CO, except in salt bars. I have extremely dry skin, and it just doesn't tolerate very much in the way of cleansing oils. I have still yet to make a soap with a low percentage of CO, but it is on my to-do list. Since having really bad results using CO in my first few batches, I haven't used it again except in batches for my family. It doesn't bother them in the least.

I have made 2 batches of high % RBO soap. The first was 85% RBO, 10% PKO, 5% castor with EDTA and sugar. This soap is exceptionally mild, but a tad bit slimy, like castile. This batch is 16 months old, and no DOS.

Batch #2 was 80% RBO, 15% PKO, 5% castor with EDTA, and sorbitol. I like this batch better. Much less slimy, but still very, very mild. It is 9 months old, no DOS. I still feel very clean after bathing with these soaps, but not itchy and dry, and I am prone to use too much hot water when I bathe, which I know is a no-no with dry skin, but I love it so much!

To answer Mobjack Bay's question, I always use EDTA in all my soaps just to try and avoid DOS.

@Mobjack Bay I do not use any of those. Now that I'm selling I am looking into getting one of em, at least citric acid... The soaps I am currently selling all have less than 15 combined linoleic and linolenic. This soap is 25 linoleic and 1 linolenic. It was an experiment that so far, seems to have produced good results.

My Castiles for example, both CP and HP have DOS without even reaching 6 months. Sucks, that.

@beckster51 that's my recipe that Lin quoted hehehe..

I'm actually fiddling around with the numbers to see if I can lower my coconut and also get my longevity up without decreasing my RBO too much, and still get nice bubbles. I'm looking at 55-60% and maybe I'll try swapping shea for cocoa butter like @Lin19687 suggested. Maybe I'll use both lol

I'm thinking, while it's similar to olive oil in some aspects, maybe RBO is a whole lot different in some - cure time, mildness, hardness - so I'm thinking if I decrease it a bit, make it somewhat "more balanced" I might not have to wait 6mos for it to be as mild n bubbly as it is now.

That would be a plus if I will be selling this lol but also personally, it means I don't need to make a big batch each time I'm running out, I can make small batches sooner, and won't always worry about DOS ruining a big batch.

Update anyone? Hehehe..

So this soap has just hit its 7th month and as expected, it's a lovely soap to use. I've been using a bar on my toddler since the 6th month mark and he just loves it.

My last update showed creamy lather with tiny bubbles. Now, my son is able to play with big bubbles in the lather. Bath time is taking longer than usual lol I'll try to get a pic later.

Also I'd like to note, and this is purely anecdotal, that his tiny butt is smoother than it used to be, considering how much it's washed after pooping. Second, he had these rough spots on his legs that seem to have disappeared.

TMI? Sorry about that lol previously he was using a Bastile I bought from someone else. She said it cured for 3mos and it was ok, but now that he's using my soap I'm more convinced that olive oil just isn't for everyone.

Lastly.... No signs of DOS yet. No orange spots and no old crayon smell. This batch is unscented, FYI.

Do you have any idea how many moms are on this forum? Those results are hardly TMI for me. it just makes me which I had thought to try this for my daughter. Her skin is fine however and she has not had a flare up in a bit so her bars are fine.

7 month old 70% RBO soap.

Not the best pic, coz my dad took it lol I was giving my toddler a shower and he had his phone in his hand, but you don't need a clearer one too see the beautiful lather.
_20200109_122649.JPG

Looks so good! After reading this thread I've composed a soap recipe with 60% RBO. Not cooked yet (I make HP soap), but I'm exited to try this:) I will use some chelator and rice flour to give it steadiness. Thank you for such interesting information and idea!

This looks like it will be one of my next test soaps. I have only purchased RBO in small quantities in the past for lotions (which I love), so have purchased it online with other soap making supplies. On Amazon it's in two categories, one cooking and the other personal care. Is there a difference? There is a local restaurant supply that has it, although Im not sure I want a 35 lb container of it, but the price is fantastic! LOL I just don't know if it is something I'd be better off buying from a soap maker. Any advice out there?

@Quilter99755 the one I use is from the supermarket so it's safe to assume it's for cooking. Price is great too, like really great for me lol. My 2 liter bottle here is about 9$.

Maybe someone else here has tried one that's labeled for cosmetic use..

@Fiut this is HP too! :)

[QUOTE="Dawni,! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much. I guess it's just like me buying my olive oil at Costco or lard at Wally's. I'll pop for a reasonable amount to test the bars out rather than the great price for way more than I need for a while. Also good to know that you HP it. That is my preferred method. Now I just have to get past my DH and his "making soap again?" comments. LOL When you are testing soap and getting your friends to give you feed back, it takes a lot of soap! But I'll be off to a quilting retreat for a week and come home with only quilting on my mind. And then his comments will be "another quilt?"

Like Dawni, I routinely buy my RBO at the market if it's on sale, but it is usually more expensive here than buying it from Soaper's Choice most of the time. By the way, I am really loving my 80% RBO soap! I get a good lather, surprisingly. I liked it so much in the bath that I started using it at the sink in the kitchen. My winter/kitchen hands have improved quite a bit. I will keep making this soap.

Latest posts

Back