70% Rice Bran Oil soap

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Dawni

Reaction score
@winusuren that's too bad about the olive oil I wonder if they sold you old stock? I'm aware of Limeart, my SO has visited them and made some inquiries for me (he's from Coimbatore). I'd complain if it was me haha.

Do you have pics of that soap by any chance? You could post them and maybe we all can help figuring out what went wrong. I only throw soap when there really isn't anything else I can do for/with it lol

Yes, you can make this in cold process :)

winusuren

Reaction score
@winusuren that's too bad about the olive oil I wonder if they sold you old stock? I'm aware of Limeart, my SO has visited them and made some inquiries for me (he's from Coimbatore). I'd complain if it was me haha.

Do you have pics of that soap by any chance? You could post them and maybe we all can help figuring out what went wrong. I only throw soap when there really isn't anything else I can do for/with it lol

Yes, you can make this in cold process :)
Yah I spoke to them but they said we test all our products before packing etc and etc. I didn't want to argue with them so just left it. I've already purchased olive oil and butters before and had no issues. As the oil was unrefined, I think it would have got spoilt. I'm out of station now. After going home, I'll surely post the pics...Thank you for your reply...

Actually I wanted to use unrefined oils for all my soaps as they don't go through any chemical process while extraction but DOS is a major issue...:(

Dawni

Reaction score
Actually I wanted to use unrefined oils for all my soaps as they don't go through any chemical process while extraction but DOS is a major issue...:(
I am unaware of any unrefined RBO labeled as such, if it exists at all, just cold processed. I guess you just have to do a ton of research and see what extraction process has been used if its the chemicals you're worried about, but cold processed is what a lot of soapers use I think, also for other products.

Edit: Makes me wonder then if it isn't the oil that's the problem. Did you use up all of that one container?

winusuren

Reaction score
I am unaware of any unrefined RBO labeled as such, if it exists at all, just cold processed. I guess you just have to do a ton of research and see what extraction process has been used if its the chemicals you're worried about, but cold processed is what a lot of soapers use I think, also for other products.
I've searched for unrefined RBO already but as you said, I couldn't find it. I'll try your recipe with a normal RBO available in stores..

I really don't know how many people soap with cold pressed oils without any issues like rancidity or DOS. I'll search the forum..

beckster51

Reaction score
Lol it should I think. Tell em to store it in the most well ventilated part of the house haha. I still have a few bars from the original post - no DOS still and I'm very happy about that.

I dropped the RBO quite a bit, so I also dropped the coconut, to account for additional butters. I like my longevity at 30 and this it what I got.
View attachment 49777View attachment 49778
Cleansing still low, conditioning somewhere in the middle, hardness and longevity good for me. I soaped this batch at 2.5:1 and I could have gone lower since I didn't need to swirl. Didn't need yogurt either and I'm sure you can manage colors and swirls for this recipe without it. Additives aside from salt n sugar are my usual rice powder and coconut milk powder, and nothing else.

Hope you're not struggling too much with your back. Soap can wait :)
Beautiful, Dawni! I still have a few bars of my 80% RBO soap, and no DOS. RBO soap is also my favorite bar these days. I may have to try your new shared recipe. I really appreciate how generous you are with your recipes! How much rice powder and coconut milk powder do you usually add to a batch? And how much do your batches weigh?

beckster51

Reaction score
I've searched for unrefined RBO already but as you said, I couldn't find it. I'll try your recipe with a normal RBO available in stores..

I really don't know how many people soap with cold pressed oils without any issues like rancidity or DOS. I'll search the forum..
You can get organic cold pressed RBO from Amazon by the gallon, but I don't know if you have access in India.
I don't usually use cold pressed oil for soap. It's a wash off product, so I don't think it matters much IMHO. I save those cold pressed oils for eating.

Dawni

Reaction score
I really appreciate how generous you are with your recipes! How much rice powder and coconut milk powder do you usually add to a batch? And how much do your batches weigh?
Share the love I always say! You're welcome hehe.. I use about 1.5 teaspoon per 500g. My batches nowadays are usually at about 2kgs more or less, my molds make 20 bars.

I think the only oil I have that's labeled cold processed is Castor Oil and here I've not seen any other. Everything else that's available in my price range isn't CP so I've not used, but logically I do agree that these more costly oils should probably not be spent on a wash off product that the lye will eat up anyway.