7 yr old soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So in November of 2012 I made my first batch of soap to sell. I had finally tested and played with recipes and colorants and fragrances until I was sure I had the right recipe. I made 4 total batches that month and sold them in December. Of those 4 batches I kept a sample of each batch and every year I retrieve the bar I saved from each batch and I take them for a test wash.

So 7 years later I know that the blood orange from Nature's garden still has a citrus scent, the hot apple pie from Camden grey has lost the apple but the cinnamon still packs a punch, my unscented coffee ground soap still smells unscented and not rancid, and my peppermint soap has no scent at all. I also know they all still produce a nice creamy lather that cleans but still leaves my hands feeling soft. None of them have DOS, funny or funky smells, cracks, crumbles, or major discoloration. The soaps have darkened just a bit over time and the peppermint was colored with seaweed which has gone from green to olive which I find is typical of seaweed in cp soap anyway. They were stored at room temperature in a small cabinet that has minimal airflow and minimal light.

20191119_154334.jpg

From left to right, blood orange, hot apple pie. Peppermint, coffee.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with my soaps' performance.

That's pretty darn good for a Citrus to hold out for that long ! :)
I LURVE NG, I have soaps now 2 years old that still are as strong as when I did them and I do not over fragrance them

That's pretty darn good for a Citrus to hold out for that long ! :)
I LURVE NG, I have soaps now 2 years old that still are as strong as when I did them and I do not over fragrance them
And on this batch I used less than one oz of fragrance for a 4lbs batch of soap so it really did well. I don't like too much fragrance in my soaps anyway so I usually use half of what's recommended by soap calc until I see how the scent performs.

Back