6th Batch: True Plumeria!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imblebee

Reaction score
I grew up in Hawaii and had a Plumeria tree in the yard. Anyone who has had the pleasure of smelling this flower knows what I am talking about... it's pure heaven. I have a pet peeve with a lot of B&B co's who "fragrance" with plumeria... it's usually a plastic nastyness that can't ever be called plumeria. I understand cost reasons probably prohibit a nicer quality scent but I digress...

SO my BIG question is... does anyone out there know what the real plumeria smells like, and what company carries the most "true" FO? The lucky winner will get a bar!

I soaped. I used my only dram of Plumeria oil. :cry:
Basic soap with a not so basic scent

1lb. batch: Plumeria
85% Crisco
15% Coconut (76)
172.4 g H2O
62 g NaOH

I also tried to used Hibiscus tea to color... backfired, kind of. I made an extreme concentrate of the tea and then added at trace. The color turned inky emerald green and then slowly oxidized/frankensteined into a light rose/tan. It's okay, but it would have been so much nicer if it didn't morph :wink:

I reached full gel in oven and could NOT unmold. Freezer, a prayer... nothing. Hacked it out with a grapefruit spoon. This will be a re-batch... to be continued....

P3100110.jpg

Can't help you with plumeria, but have you tried lining your molds with parchment paper or freezer paper?

Love hearing about your soaping experiences! Too funny :lol:

Can't help you with plumeria, but have you tried lining your molds with parchment paper or freezer paper?
I do now E, the tupperware gets a quick spritz before I pour, but I think this batch missed it. I made a log mold a few weeks ago with the BF's help and I line that with parchment... however I haven't been able to make a full batch yet! Now I want to make a 1lb. mini mold for my testing and forget this round-ness tupperware nonsense! :wink:

Pringles cans work GREAT for 1# molds! They don't fill all the way, but work nicely. Plus, there is a bonus in that you get to eat the Pringles! I am going to try PVC, but have not done that yet.

SimplyE said:
Pringles cans work GREAT for 1# molds! They don't fill all the way, but work nicely. Plus, there is a bonus in that you get to eat the Pringles! I am going to try PVC, but have not done that yet.
simply
I did pringles can, it didnt come out, had to cut w razor, maybe slide some wax aper in mold then pour?

Pringles cans are not necessarily a multiuse mold, but I cut the end off and push out the soap and can get a couple of uses out of it. HTH :wink:

I love the pringles cans, spray them with cooking spray, cut a piece of freezer paper, the spray keeps the soap from sticking to the bottom and holds freezer paper to the sides. Tried it without freezer paper and found that there is a plastic coating on the inside of the can that sticks to the soap and makes it hard to have a nice smooth side to the cut bars.

Another Hawaii girl here...born and raised on Oahu! For years I used to pick the neighbors plumeria tree to make leis for May Day! I miss Hawaii dearly!

I've been using Tradewinds Fragrance Plumeria FO for years!!!!

L

My very first scented soap was Plumeria - I love that scent....looking forward to seeing how this turns out for you...

Cheers
Lindy

Imblebee said:
I've been using Tradewinds Fragrance Plumeria FO for years!!!!

So Elle, Tradewinds is good?! This makes me unbelievably excited! :shock:

I've been using them for years now and have not had any delivery problems whatsoever.

L

I've used Plumeria from MMS and I really enjoy it. I've been to Hawaii, but it's been a couple years...the MMS one smells delicious and floral. Not like plastic. :p

I got my package from tradewinds today and I couldn't get into it fast enough... I ordered the select shades set and Plumeria FO. I opened the FO bottle and was horribly disappointed. It's just not the plumeria I am looking for. It's very plastic like and fruity, it's like the bad lotions I have tried in stores. I am using the FO anyway for the rebatch hoping for the best but I am not expecting much. :cry:

I think the only option I have is locating a plumeria EO. I found one ages ago and know I paid dearly so this will probably be a scent that is kept for myself only.

On a happier note the select shades ROCK! I got a super duper pink that will lend to the not-so-hot scent. Someone will love it! :D

I made a whipped rebatch and I will post pictures once they are cut.

LOL!! I've been down the hibiscus tea road too. The green is really startling if you're not expecting it. Wish I could help you with the plumeria. I've never smelled the real thing, so I don't have a point of reference. :cry:

I got cranky so I googled the bejeezus out of it and found a listing for Plumeria EO. I ordered a 3ml vial of it to try out. It was almost $3. :roll: If it's the right thing then it's worth it.

Well, here are some Plumeria soaps. Remember the chunked out mess that I had to hack out of the tupperware? Well, I chopped everything up and tossed it in the crock pot. I set that sucker on high and added 2t. of Plumeria FO (it's all I could handle :shock: ) I also added a random amount of coloring. It turned a beautiful vaseline like magenta. I then decided to toss the whole shebang into the Kitchenaid and whip that $@# up.... and while I was at it, why not add some chopped carrot bastile rebatch, to you know, add some fancy?...

So here is the save (although IMO it's a olfactory flop)... but hey, it floats!

***Note to self, always remember to smack the mold on the floor a few times to knock out air bubbles***

IMG_5247.jpg

IMG_5248.jpg

IMG_5258.jpg

Back