67% Superfat Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaress

Reaction score
So... I made a loaf of soap at 65% superfat because I poured off the wrong amount of lye. I unmolded it and it’s still standing (I was half expecting it to melt into a soap puddle).

My daughter is currently calling it “cleansing lotion”. Does anyone have any insight into what’s going to happen to it?

On the bright side, it will not zap!! You might try blending it will a SB and see if it comes together enough to make a scrub with it for very dry skin. You can still rebatch it, with the proper amount of lye, even if you mix it together. Just for curiosity sake I would toss it into your mixing container and whip or sb, just to see what it does. It might make a neat face scrub with added exfoliates.

Please let us know what you decide to do

I had a batch that I mismeasured the lye - or at least that's what I'm assuming what happened because my other measurements were correct (one benefit of making videos haha). It's 2 months old and still squishes between my fingers. Because I didn't know the amount of lye error, I'm hesitant to rebatch, but I did take a few of the bars and grate them up into a soap with a lower SF (I think I did 1% SF) as a confetti soap. For personal use you could do something like that, but I mostly agree with what's been said: you know the lye amount error, so rebatch by adding the lye needed.

The biggest risk is the DOS monster, that's a lot of extra oils exposed to air to go rancid. Not to mention that sounds more like cleaning lotion, maybe a conditioner?

Since I like to experiment I would still try to emulsify and see if there is enough soap to keep it together. Some antioxidant such as Roe, BHT or Vitamin E could be added to ward of rancidity. I do not think it will ever harden enough into a soap to worry about dos

Well, there’s the loaf. I think I’m going to try to cut it for posterity sake. It feels.... interestingly yucky.

Well, it cut like butter (because that’s mostly what it is haha!). I rinsed my hands off and they are softer than they’ve ever been. Conditioner is an interesting idea... I’m afraid it would go rancid very quickly in a shower though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 54
  • E3BE8C49-C07F-482C-B49B-975935D11A9C.jpeg
    E3BE8C49-C07F-482C-B49B-975935D11A9C.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 49
Last edited by a moderator:
What a shame - it's gorgeous! I had a similar problem recently, but my mistake was worse because I was guiding a friend in her first soaping experience. I knew the NaOH wasn't dissolving properly, and that the solution would not be as strong as it was supposed to be, but took the chance it would be enough. Hers turned out gorgeous like yours but it's so soft and isn't good soap. I am still pondering what to do with it, because I have no idea how short it is of lye, and attempting a rebatch would only produce a very ugly color. I'm toying with incorporating a small part of the original design as an embed in a new soap, but that would just be a fraction. I am so mad at myself for letting this happen!

Yours has so much white and the green looks fairly homogeneous, so I think you could salvage a decent color if you knew how much lye for a rebatch. I would be much more willing to try that if I had what you are starting with.

Sorry there aren't better answers. Good luck!

Bummer, it's so cute !

I would keep it for personal use. After cure see how it is.

I have a Salt bar that doesn't lather like the others, all made on the same day with pre-measured lye / oils. Not sure what happened but I think I tried to super fat an extra once of Shea Butter and that may have done it. I have to try the other batch and see if they do it too.

Beautiful! It is amazing to me that a 67% SF soap becomes solid enough to cut! I would never has guessed that to be the case. I'd be tempted to just make that my at home soap and hope it doesn't clog up the plumbing. But with that much fat, I would be worried about the plumbing in my old house.

So I think I’ve decided to grate it, rebatch it, and make confetti soap out of it. I think. I don’t know.

Beautiful! It is amazing to me that a 67% SF soap becomes solid enough to cut! I would never has guessed that to be the case. I'd be tempted to just make that my at home soap and hope it doesn't clog up the plumbing. But with that much fat, I would be worried about the plumbing in my old house.

I know, I was shocked it came out of the mold!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you rebatch it, I would want to know exactly how much lye was in it. You would be better off just tossing it if you didn't want to wait the 6 + weeks for it to cure.

I would shred it and add to another batch if it’s hard enough to shred. It would be fine for personal use. Don’t add a lot of the shreds to the batch though. Try a small one anyway. I hate throwing out soap.

Before you rebatch it, I would want to know exactly how much lye was in it. You would be better off just tossing it if you didn't want to wait the 6 + weeks for it to cure.
I know exactly how much is in it. I was reading the wrong line and realized when I made my second loaf. 120 g of solution vs 411 g!

Since your colors are so distinct, you could salvage (rebatch + lye) the two green and white parts separately. I'd toss the bottom stripe and top berries to help preserve the main colors and prevent getting a muddled brown. With just the two colors (either of which you could possibly augment with added colorant), you might be able to combine into an HP-like rustic design.

I can't imagine you need that many shreds, so why not try it? It might take a pencil, an eraser and some math though o_O

Latest posts

Back