65% Fragrance Oil, Insane right?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
The IFRA for one of the fragrance oils I'm currently working with says that it's safe up to 65% in rinse off products (category 9). I've been using it at about 4.5% and it's been fading.

I really like this scent (that's why I want to keep working with it), but how high can I really go on the next batch? Obviously I'm not going up to 65%, but is 10%, 15% realistic?

Just to settle your curiosity, here is the scent:

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/8-oz-786-Ocean-Mist-Scent

My gut reaction to this type of question is “try it and let us know!” but fragrances are expensive.

Typically, I see 6% as a max (roughly 1oz ppo) but I’ve also seen a few comments about certain fragrances at 10%. Personally, I’m hesitant without reviews on the site but there may be some on the SMF scent review chart (the one DeeAnna moderates - link ).

Thanks Dibbles for linking that post! I've only gone as high as 7% - so it's nice to know I can go a smidgen higher if the IFRA allows it.

Carl, if you'e still having problems with fading after that (and the scent is worth the trouble), you can try:
  • Anchoring the scent with a clay like kaolin - I've had the best luck with mixing the FO into the clay to absorb for a bit and then stick-blending the beejesus out of that into my base oil before adding my lye solution.
  • Avoiding heat - do not gel the soap
  • If you're making salt bars, anchoring the scent with Dendritic salt. Let the FO absorb into the salt and then add to other salts before adding into your soap.
  • Giving up and hot processing so you can add the FO after the cook

Remember that IFRA is not the recommended usage but only the maximum usage that is considered safe. So, a high IFRA just means that safety won't be a concern for me when calculating a fragrance oil rate in my product. When IFRA is low the real question is whether there will be enough of a scent in my product at that rate. If there isn't then increasing the amount of fragrance isn't an option.

The IFRA for one of the fragrance oils I'm currently working with says that it's safe up to 65% in rinse off products (category 9). I've been using it at about 4.5% and it's been fading.

I really like this scent (that's why I want to keep working with it), but how high can I really go on the next batch? Obviously I'm not going up to 65%, but is 10%, 15% realistic?

Just to settle your curiosity, here is the scent:

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/8-oz-786-Ocean-Mist-Scent
Can you try this scent at different percentages in small 1 pound batches?

I've used FO's up to 8% and had no problems but I knew they'd be safe to skin based on IFRA. I only do this after I've done a small test batch to make sure it didn't separate or create some other issue and I had no problem using the soap. I know 5% ppo is standard which equates to a different % in the final soap as we add water, lye, colorants, etc. so using common sense and caution is a must. Like DeAnna, if the IFRA is less than 5%, I don't use it in soap no matter how awesome it is. I don't want to be responsible for anyone having a problem with the product. Leave on products like lotion are a different matter entirely. DeAnna's info she attached above is a fantastic resource!

Latest posts

Back