5th soap ...1st time Lard user!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niclycha

Reaction score
After hours of looking at lard recipes, then trying to decide colors and scents....I went for 2 different pinks and white, and Cotton Candy from candle science. ..my white turned yellow and I didn't measure my color portions enough to do a mantra marble soooooo ... I just did this
Oh I made my mold from foam board

1461673790376.jpg

1461673826844.jpg

I'm wondering why my batter turned yellow. No vanilla in the FO. ..??

Some fo's will turn batter yellow even without vanilla. I've had some that do that and I think someone posted about a fo that gave their soap a pinkish tint. It could also be the oils you used. Yellow/golden oils will make a yellowish soap. Because of the oils I use, I have never gotten a bright white bar. The best I get is a whiter bar when I use TD.

I vote for the FO causing the color change too. I have a couple that only discolor the edges of the soap which is an interesting look, sort of a halo effect. Many of my masculine scents turn the batter pink/mauve which is difficult to overcome when it's for guys, lol. Also, the color change may mellow out during cure. Whether it's yellow all the way through, just on top or around the perimeter, it's still beautiful soap! I love pink and yellow together, BTW. Very springtime, happy soap!

That's a very nice looking "not what I intended". :)

I'll echo that it is most likely your FO. Really, so many things can be blamed on FOs.

Most of my lard recipes are pretty white when unscented and uncolored. A few oils can turn things more yellow , greenish or beige though. To see how your recipe looks naked, next time you might want to try taking a portion out and leaving it uncolored and unscented.

Welcome to the piggy side!! You'll never want to use soap without lard again!!

Very nice looking soaps too!

I vote for the FO causing the color change too. I have a couple that only discolor the edges of the soap which is an interesting look, sort of a halo effect. Many of my masculine scents turn the batter pink/mauve which is difficult to overcome when it's for guys, lol. Also, the color change may mellow out during cure. Whether it's yellow all the way through, just on top or around the perimeter, it's still beautiful soap! I love pink and yellow together, BTW. Very springtime, happy soap!

That's the thing with a lot of male fo's, they either turn pink or dark brown!
It's the fresh or ocean scents that usually aren't a color problem.

Come to think of it, my Bonfire Bliss turned my purple to pink on my 1st soap I made. But it did turn back to purple lol. I was kinda liking the pink. Oh well either way. The yellow looks OK with the pinks. Good thing I picked colors that would go with yellow huh.
Speaking of Bonfire Bliss, if you haven't tried it, oh you should. It's a great fo. From Rustic Essentials. Speeds trace a little, but I may have stick blended too long. Vanillin is <1%

This is my little sample of my lard soap. I always read people trying their soap after cutting, so I did too. OMG the lather is so rich and creamy so I decided to try it in the tub. Lol I soaped up, shaved and soaped up again. Lol. Loving some lard soap.
I just have to figure out how to make my colors brighter.

1461869969313.jpg

Oh! ¥@¥
Look what came in from UPS today!
7 lbs of
SWEET ALMOND OIL
COCONUT OIL
RICE BRAN OIL
GRAPESEED OIL
And OLIVE OIL

1461913845703.jpg

1461913864924.jpg

Back