5lb Nurture Soap Mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGecko

Reaction score
I have this mold and I'm a bit confused on how much batter to make.

Nurture says it holds 63 oz of oils. Is this the Oil Weight or the Total Batch Weight? And if it's either, shouldn't it hold a total Batch Weight of 80 oz (16x5) which would then work out to be around 55 oz of oil (adding 33% Lye Concentration and FO?

I'm wanting to make several batches of soap, but I don't want to screw it up and have too much or too little batter.

I would suggest writing Carrie and asking. They have always been super helpful. When I was doing the soap for my son's wedding, I didn't know how much of certain micas I would need, and I wrote and asked and got an answer within two days.

For what it's worth, I have a couple of her silicone molds, and for the T/S one, she said that it held 32 oz of oil. The recipe I made was 32oz of oils and made almost 47 oz of soap, and fit the mold perfectly.

Its probably total batch size. I always calculate the oils myself when I get a new mold, instructions how are here https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/how-to-figure-how-much-oil-for-mold.2909/

I used the formula: 18 x 3.5 x 2.5 x .40 = 63

Then I applied that to my 10" mold w/50 oz capacity: 10 x 3.5 x 2.5 x .40 = 35

I use 34 oz Oils with 33% Lye Concentration and 1 oz FO PPO for 50.36 oz

63 oz w/33% LC and 1 oz FO PPO = 93.32 Batch Weight

I would have to increase my LC to 37% to use 63 oz of Oils. I've never gone above 35% and that has been for my GMS and I don't use colorants in it. I think I will just use 61 oz of oils...that will give me 90.36 oz

Will definitely be keeping that formula for future reference. Thank you.

How funny you should ask this!
I've always used handmade molds with freezer paper, but I wanted to try silicone for cleaner edges, so I recently bought a Nurture mold based on the amount of ounces it said it held in the description. When I got the mold it was significantly larger than the molds I currently use, so I was a little confused. I went back and looked at the description again tonight and saw it said ounces of OILS. When I plugged that number in for batch size in SoapCalc (so my oils were the amount listed in the description), it equaled the 4.5lb capacity of my mold!
So yeah - the mold volume description is for oils only without a water discount.

Last time I used that mold, I made 88.7 oz of soap batter for it. I believe my mold is slightly different in measurements than their current 5 lb version (bought it on sale because they had an irregular batch), but I don’t think it was a big difference.

Latest posts

Back