50lbs of lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmakkers

Reaction score
I got the 50lb cube of lard from Smart and Final today. Yea, I've really committed to the lard soaps. So do I need to melt this down into smaller containers like I would palm oil or can I just cut chunks as necessary. Thankees!

A word of advice: always, always, always tape the box back up. If you have dogs, they'll help themselves and hurl on you later.

LOL! I read your thread about what happened. I've been lucky enough to have a dog that surprisingly does not get into food that is left out. In 5 years, she has only stolen one cookie. But I'm going to tape it up just to be safe.

I'm super excited! I was going through so much lard from Walmart that it only made sense at this point to buy the 50lbs.

Yes I remember that too, my cat keeps an eye on the coconut oil, and as soon as it opens he is there wanting some. I asked the vet, and he said it wouldn't hurt him, but I make sure I have a plate and put a very small bit on it.
The worst part about the lard is getting it from the car into the house, the 50 lbs isn't as bad as the awkward size.

You'll be surprised how fast you go through it, V. When I bought that first 50 lb box I thought it was a crazy amount, but it was just so much cheaper than buying the smaller sizes that it made sense. Here it is 4 or 5 mos later and I'm on to the next. It is a pain to haul the box up the stairs to my apt, though ...

Also, I might be making a big mistake, but I have not refrigerated it since I have been going through it relatively quickly and am too lazy to portion it into amounts that are small enough to fit in the fridge. Is this a mistake, you guys?

Last edited:
My dogs have all liked the CO. Same thing happens if they got into it. A nice foamy vomit....nasty. I buy all my oils/butters in 50 lb blocks. So much easier than realizing I'm all out.

Latest posts

Back