$500 as a gift...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krissy

Reaction score
:shock: what should i buy??

i know i want to buy stuff that will make my life easier as far as soaping etc... what is your "can't live without" tool

i already intend to buy a couple of stick blenders as back ups, but what else?

also, DH just surprised me that he is having a contracter come in to my soaping room and tear out the uneeded walls that make up a closet that doesnt function and having him make me a soap studio with counter tops and storage and shelving for curing soaps and supplies. i am so excited!!

How fantastic for you! I'd love to have a designated spot to make soap. I'm excited for you. You just have to post pics when it's done so I can drool over it.

As for the $500, that's a very nice gift to receive. However, I don't have any suggestions since you already intend to buy some stick blenders. :lol:

do you have a tank?

other nice to have's... racks to store soap on, a dehumidifier that drains to a drain, silicone molds

Wow, $500!

That's awesome, I can barely decide on where to spend $50, lol.
If it were me, and of course I don't know what you have already, I'd get a nice 4 or 5# log mold and a Tank to start.

I so envy your separate soaping area, you are indeed lucky. Counter space and storage and shelving, oh my!
Please let us know what you decide to get with your gift $$

carebear said:
do you have a tank?

other nice to have's... racks to store soap on, a dehumidifier that drains to a drain, silicone molds

i dont have a tank yet... but it is now at the top of my list.
i am having the racks built in, but with removable shelves wheni get the renovation done.i also have silicone log molds but may invest in a few more. :)

carebear said:
do you have a tank?

All this!!
My #1 choice would be racks, but I like everything said. :)

I do have the FCS hobby cutter, but dang that tank looks nice too. :)

GORM shelves at Ikea are $40 each... I am already planning on getting more! And you'll love the tank, I can't imagine life without it now (and it's only cut 3 logs LOL)....

Stock up on EOs
Additives you love or want to try
New molds

Well, I don't really know anything, so you can just p-shaw my response (lol), but will you have a ventilation system?

krissy said:
:shock: what should i buy??

SS buckets are very useful. I soap larger quantities in them. Good for mixing lye, cleaning up, whatever. You can put them right on a burner, too. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GDZ0HE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Sink. Check craigslist for a used SS commercial kitchen sink with sideboard. I've seen them go cheap. I have an old darkroom sink, that works great, too.

SS table. Also a Craigslist item.

Good lighting. Use sunlight fluorescent tubes. Put light over the counters and sink.

Stick blender, the WSB33 is nice and inexpensive: http://theblenderplace.com/Commercial-Mixers.htm?gclid=CKnMsLfznq4CFUcQNAod9S1A6A

Hold on to whatever $ is left over. wait for something that you really need.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh and rubber pads that you stand on.... those are lovely padding for the aching feet and legs.

I would KILL for a tank! I vote tank :D Congrats, Krissy! (That's my sister's name, by the way. Well, it's Kris, but I've called her Krissy since I was a kid)

Ohhh, good silicone batter scrapers (is that what they are called?). Ones that actually form to the bowl and get every last bit of soap. Not the stiff ones you have to force to scrape the bowl.

Outstanding ... I'd love this and would probably spend it all on FO's and EO's ... I love scents!
carebear said:
oh and rubber pads that you stand on.... those are lovely padding for the aching feet and legs.
Now that does sound like a wonderful investment!

Latest posts

Back