50 Pounds of No-Stir Palm Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerelife

Reaction score
I buy my sustainable no-stir palm oil in 50 lb blocks and put about 5 pounds in a small container and refill as needed from the block. The block itself I keep in the original plastic bag (tightly closed) in a closet in our house to avoid it being exposed to light and extreme temperature fluctuations. This has always worked well for me and I've never had any issues with rancidity.
I bought my current 50 lb block just before Covid reared it's ugly head 2 years ago and I've used precious little of it in the past 2 years due to the fact that as a healthcare professional I've had very little time for anything but work. My soapmaking business had to take a backseat as I (as well as many others) focused our time and energy on more important things.
I recently removed the block of palm from its original bag and placed it in an air tight container and it seems normal. But the fact remains that it IS 2 years old.
Is there any way to check to see if it's still good other than soaping with it / wait and see if develops DOS?
Thanks for any help.

I buy my sustainable no-stir palm oil in 50 lb blocks and put about 5 pounds in a small container and refill as needed from the block. The block itself I keep in the original plastic bag (tightly closed) in a closet in our house to avoid it being exposed to light and extreme temperature fluctuations. This has always worked well for me and I've never had any issues with rancidity.
I bought my current 50 lb block just before Covid reared it's ugly head 2 years ago and I've used precious little of it in the past 2 years due to the fact that as a healthcare professional I've had very little time for anything but work. My soapmaking business had to take a backseat as I (as well as many others) focused our time and energy on more important things.
I recently removed the block of palm from its original bag and placed it in an air tight container and it seems normal. But the fact remains that it IS 2 years old.
Is there any way to check to see if it's still good other than soaping with it / wait and see if develops DOS?
Thanks for any help.
Sustainable palm oil is a myth. Once ecosystems are disrupted with palm production there’s no going back. It’s cheaper though because the collective cost is not considered.

I agree with @cmzaha I once received a 7 lb bucket of regular palm from MMS that was delivered during the summer. When it arrived it was "curdled". (I now know that it's not a good idea to order palm during the summer when it can be exposed to high heat during transit.) I contacted the Sage and they assured me it was okay to soap. Which I did. It was fine.

To use your stock up quickly, you might want to give this recipe a try. It's a best seller for all types of skin. It's high in palm oil (62%), has good lather and an elegant feel. It was my dearly departed hubby's favorite bar to use in the shower. ;) :thumbs:

ZANY'S PALM OLIVE

Hopefully @DeeAnna will see this and can help. In the meantime, you may want to have a look around DeeAnna's Soapy Stuff for an answer.

I'm happy you are back to soaping again. Making soap keeps me sane and it's less expensive than therapy!

HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:

I order palm in 7 lb buckets when it's on sale. I freeze my extra palm and it works great in soap.
:thumbs::thumbs: I do that too, Linda. As soon as it arrives, I melt it down to fully incorporate the stearic acid that has settled to the bottom and pour into 1 lb containers for later use. I mark the date on the container and store some in the fridge for easy access and the rest of the containers in the basement which stays cool year round.

I'm with the others. I don't use palm, but I do keep a fair bit of lard and high oleic sunflower oil on hand. I store them in a dark cool place (in the fridge if I have room) and I take a good sniff when I get them out to use. If the fat smells fine (whatever the typical smell is for that particular fat), IMO it's good to go. I have fats that are several years old and they're fine.

Last edited:
Back