50 lb lye!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal43

Reaction score
I bought 50 lbs of lye for 72.00 , which included shipping. It come from California. But why did they need a semi fedex truck to bring it on a pallet. I think that was a little over the top. Anyway, I’m going to bag it into 4 lbs bags and place into a bucket.

Attachments

• C8B918A9-F374-483E-9CDA-6EA6DAAE3429.jpeg
    C8B918A9-F374-483E-9CDA-6EA6DAAE3429.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 21
I bought 50 lbs of lye for 72.00 , which included shipping. It come from California. But why did they need a semi fedex truck to bring it on a pallet. I think that was a little over the top. Anyway, I’m going to bag it into 4 lbs bags and place into a bucket.
1. That is a great price!
2. The mode of transport is probably because of the amount and HazMat status.

May I please ask, how did you transfer it from the bag it came in to the smaller bags?
I also got one and some bottles to put it in but I'm so lost as how to transfer it. I have no help as I live alone.

Attachments

• 20230422_145819.jpg
    20230422_145819.jpg
    798.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230422_145802.jpg
    20230422_145802.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
May I please ask, how did you transfer it from the bag it came in to the smaller bags?
I also got one and some bottles to put it in but I'm so lost as how to transfer it. I have no help as I live alone.
This op hasn't been here in over 2 yrs, so not likely to see your quoted post to them.

I would put a funnel into the neck of the smaller container, and use a scoop to transfer it from the bag to the funnel. Be sure to wear your PPE!

Could you share the name of the company you bought it from? I live in CA and have been trying to find a local lye distributor.
Where in CA. I always purchased my 50lb bags from Gallade in Santa Ana and did will-call from them. You do have to have a resale license and be able to show you have a business using Lye. You also have to check their vehicle transporting restrictions, because using an SUV will not work for pickup.

1. That is a great price!
2. The mode of transport is probably because of the amount and HazMat status.
You caught me on a good weekend. I just purchased a 50 lb bag of lye and did transfer it to a plastic bucket. Do what Kitti says. Put the bag of lye on a chair or bench so you transfers are down from up. Wear a mask and cover the floor with a layer of wax paper and old newspaper. When it's done, roll the empty bag of lye up inside the old newspaper/wax paper and dispose immediately. Be careful.

Back