50 lb cube of palm kernel from Soapers Choice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwahlne

Reaction score
PLEASE tell me there is some better way to chop this thing up... something that doesn't involve an ice pick or a sledge hammer....!

Anyone?

The easiest way is to buy the flakes LOL.
Next time...

All I can think of is to wrap it securely, freeze it, and drop it from a great height.

How about an electric carving knife??..If you don't own one they can usually be purchased for less than $5-$10 at yard sales, Goodwill Stores, etc..

I mentioned your dilemma to my husband because I also have a 50 lb cube waiting to be used. I am still using up some flakes first. I didn't realize how hard it is. He suggested an industrial planer or shaver, something similar to a cheese shaver/slicer but industrial like.

Laurie

I can't even get the thing out of the box! It took me about half an hour to scrape out what I needed for my soap batch!

Carebear, you're right. I think I'm going back to flakes. In the meantime, I will try some of all your suggestions! Thanks!

Do you have a band saw or friends with one? With that you could cut it into smaller chunks.

yeah i would say a hack saw...the friction would help melt it a bit too!

a pointed chefs knfe and start on the outside. Put the pont in and tap with your hand. Its not as bad as you think

I have the same cube. I did like Lucy. Sharp knife jabbing, starting at the edges and breaking off chunks. Not to bad!

x

i got an electric carving knife at a yard sale, opened the whole thing up on a plastic shower curtain infront of tv one saturday morning and shaved off slices all day. you get carver's cramp and the thing heat's up!

pko flakes or nothing next time!

Re: x

heartsong said:
i got an electric carving knife at a yard sale, opened the whole thing up on a plastic shower curtain infront of tv one saturday morning and shaved off slices all day. you get carver's cramp and the thing heat's up!

pko flakes or nothing next time!

hehe sounds like a live-and-learn situation to me! :)

Back