50/50 OO/lard?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I know others have made a 50/50 OO/lard soap but I never heard back on what it was like after a cure. How is the lather, slimy at all? Its it pretty conditioning? How is the longevity?

I'm looking for a nice coconut free recipe for extra dry skin and I highly dislike castile.

I would like to know this also. I don't know how much olive oil creates the slime factor, but I would like to avoid it if possible. Has anyone tried a Lard/OO/Castor at 60/35/5? Or 65/30/5?

Last edited:
I make facial bars out of 50% lard, 45% OO and 5% castor with 0% SF. They are slightly slimish, now that you mentioned it, I didn't even realise, but nothing like castile. They cure to hard, white bars and last forever. I did get few DOS but on bars that were almost year old.
My last batch separated, I HP the lost and got really nice white soap, ugly looking though, but my face loves it. It's very gentle and conditioning, even with 0% SF. I used 0% as my nose and chin tend to go oily while cheeks are dry and break out in red patches. Somehow, it works. ;)

I have done a 50/50 lard/olive. It wasn't really slimy that I remember. I would however suggest the addition of about 5% castor oil. It will give you a bit more lather without being drying, and you could also add 5% shea butter or cocoa butter. Either one of those will help ward off any potential slime factor.

Latest posts

Back