44oz batch, 2oz FO --> too small?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheilaohga

Reaction score
First I tried with 1 oz of Arabian Musk FO, but after HP-ing there is no musk smell left in my soap.
So next I kept going up and now it's 2.10 oz and still not many smell left.

For 44 oz batch, how much FO do I have to put in in order to keep the scent smelling as it should?
It doesn't have to be strong but I want to smell the musk, not the oily smell from the oils..

And I put my FO when the temp is about 170 F (I am HP ing, and after it is cooled down to about 170 F that is when I add my FOs)
I am not sure what the flashpoint is for musk, I saw some post saying 200F?

Am I doing it right putting it in when it's about 170F or should I add it when it is more cooled down?
Is the heat eating up all my musk scents?
And how much to put in?
FOs are expensive and I can't afford to pour the FO too much!

Thank you.

The first thing you need to check is the usage rate for that particular FO from the supplier. Most are recommended to be used at 5% ppo. However there are many that have a much smaller percentage for usage. Also some scents are much stronger and require less. Multiply the weight of your oils by the percentage and that is the most you should generally use. Usually no more than 1 oz. ppo.

Another factor is what supplier does the fo come from? Is it sold as appropriate for cold process? Even if it is - there are some fo's that simply don't scent strongly, or the scent fades quickly despite the fact that soap did everything right.

I rarely do HP so I don't know what temp you can come down to and have your batter still be fluid enough to stir in fragrance . But, I wouldn't be surprised if 170 deg would volatilize many fragrances - or at least components of them. Especially if its even hotter inside the mass of soap compared to the surface that you measure. I think that's why some people use sodium lactate in their HP soap -- to maintain fluidity at lower temps, which is better for helping fragrance stick. Im no HP guru but that might be something to look into.

Thank you. I will try with more FO.
And perhaps I should wait a bit longer for the batch to cool down before putting the FO. :)

FOs vary with scent hold. I myself, had to experiment using f/os . I found that each one requires either more or less than the recommended amount.
Some people experience anosmia with scents especially "musk" (according to my fragrance oil supplier)

Latest posts

Back