3D Printer for Soap Moulds and Cutters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madison

Reaction score
What do you think about that?
Does it make sense to print soap mold and cutter in 3D printer? Someone was talking to me about it.

IMG_4374[1].jpg
I 3D-printed this test soap mold at 250um. I have a 3D printer at my disposal, so made my own. Modeled it in a popular 3D program and converted to a STL file to print. I was pleased, but realized that I could never pour directly into the mold as there are hundreds of ridged layers from the printing and the soap would certainly stick. Never tried 50um layer, but still believe the soap would stick. I have to put freezer paper into the chambers and pour into it. A little inconvenient, but I have a large roll of freezer paper I have to use up. :) I later thought of creating molds using custom cut blocks/sheets of teflon. It could be a little costly, but worth it, I think. If you can get the walls to be truly smooth, it would be worth it...or you're willing to line the molds with freezer paper. The mold makes two 3.5oz bars of soap. There is a slot for a thin divider so that you can create two-toned soaps.

You can also create your own soap mold liners using latex. There is a nice video showing this using Mould Builder. It is somewhat time-consuming, but if done right, it looks like an option.

Last edited:
Kim,

I had a stamp made by someone in Canada at a reasonable price. :) I didn't think of making one for myself at the time, but money well-spent. It was also 3D-printed. Perhaps I should start a mini-business with my own 3D printer. :)
IMG_4376[1].JPG
I wish I had asked for a handle, but works really well!

View attachment 32409
I 3D-printed this test soap mold at 250um. I have a 3D printer at my disposal, so made my own. Modeled it in a popular 3D program and converted to a STL file to print. I was pleased, but realized that I could never pour directly into the mold as there are hundreds of ridged layers from the printing and the soap would certainly stick. Never tried 50um layer, but still believe the soap would stick. I have to put freezer paper into the chambers and pour into it. A little inconvenient, but I have a large roll of freezer paper I have to use up. :) I later thought of creating molds using custom cut blocks/sheets of teflon. It could be a little costly, but worth it, I think. If you can get the walls to be truly smooth, it would be worth it...or you're willing to line the molds with freezer paper. The mold makes two 3.5oz bars of soap. There is a slot for a thin divider so that you can create two-toned soaps.

You can also create your own soap mold liners using latex. There is a nice video showing this using Mould Builder. It is somewhat time-consuming, but if done right, it looks like an option.

Thank you for sharing your experience, Richard. DO you have the link to the video?

Thank you, what do you think about printing 3D soap cutter?
Madison,

Truthfully, I would imagine that having a soap cutter 3D printed to be much more expensive than you making one from wood, wire. I personally wouldn't do it. Do you have a special design in mind? I have had a few things 3D printed and they were not as large or heavy as your cutter would be and they were not cheap. Even my tiny soap stamp which is only 2.5-inches in diameter and about 3/4 of a centimeters in height was over $10!

Madison,

Truthfully, I would imagine that having a soap cutter 3D printed to be much more expensive than you making one from wood, wire. I personally wouldn't do it. Do you have a special design in mind? I have had a few things 3D printed and they were not as large or heavy as your cutter would be and they were not cheap. Even my tiny soap stamp which is only 3-inches in diameter and about 3/4 of a centimeters was over $10!

I have a simple design n mind but I was thinking more about longevity, it may not worth the cost.

I have a simple design n mind but I was thinking more about longevity, it may not worth the cost.
Do you mind sharing? I have decided to add a handle to my soap stamp using my own 3D printer. I have my original illustrator design, so will print it tomorrow and share. :)

Wow. I have my own cutting tools, etc. and can tell you that that could be made for about $15-20(?). Your 3D printed version would be A LOT MORE. 3D printed objects are 'cool', but cost prohibitive in many instances. As far as sturdiness goes, it certainly can be at a cost, but if anything breaks, you cannot just super-glue back together. You will need to reprint or have the component reprinted and that would still be more than building one with wood. Every component you see on the example you showed is cheap.

I saw a video where one soaper's husband made a cutter entirely or stainless steel. Talk about sturdy and durable. :) It was beautifully shiny and welded components. The components are not the problem, in terms of cost, it is the actual labor making it.

Madison. The currency used on that site was in Nigerian Naira. After converting, it would cost about $110 USD! Way way way over-priced! Yikes!

Wow. I have my own cutting tools, etc. and can tell you that that could be made for about $15-20(?). Your 3D printed version would be A LOT MORE. 3D printed objects are 'cool', but cost prohibitive in many instances. As far as sturdiness goes, it certainly can be at a cost, but if anything breaks, you cannot just super-glue back together. You will need to reprint or have the component reprinted and that would still be more than building one with wood. Every component you see on the example you showed is cheap.

It will be fun to have for show, my kids will fight over it for a while:).
BTW, what determines the component value?

It will be fun to have for show, my kids will fight over it for a while:).
BTW, what determines the component value?
Are we talking about 3D printed or wood?

3D printed components or parts are all over the place. It depends on the material you use and the company you go to to have it printed. There is no standard in 3D printing as most are small companies with their own pricing.

As far as wood...it depends on the type of wood (amount needed), stainless steel wire(s), screws, or whether glued, and other smaller metal fasteners, turn-keys, etc. all depend on your wholesale source and how you are willing to construct them. One can make the turning keys (the part that tightens the wire) entirely of wood or buy one made of metal, etc. Many factors, but if you can get the individual components and construct it yourself, it would cost you fractions of anything you can buy.

Thank you Richard, I was asking about the 3D prints.
I saw a video where one soaper's husband made a cutter entirely or stainless steel. Talk about sturdy and durable. :) It was beautifully shiny and welded components. The components are not the problem, in terms of cost, it is the actual labor making it.

Madison. The currency used on that site was in Nigerian Naira. After converting, it would cost about $110 USD! Way way way over-priced! Yikes!
I love stainless steel, but if I decided to make a soap cutter entirely stainless steel I want to make sure that I will pass it to my grandchildren:).

Richard,
Will you please post the link to the video, I like the idea. I am thinking it's a unique piece of art.

Back