3D Printer for Soap Moulds and Cutters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard,
You told me that you have a 3D printer, do you mind giving me an estimation cost for a 3D printed mold with these dimensions 10.5" L x 2" W x 3.75" H, please?
I had a talk with someone yesterday about similar subject, I feel curious to know.

Capture.PNG
Richard,
You told me that you have a 3D printer, do you mind giving me an estimation cost for a 3D printed mold with these dimensions 10.5" L x 2" W x 3.75" H, please?
I had a talk with someone yesterday about similar subject, I feel curious to know.
Madison,
You want a sturdy mould. Will you be putting freezer paper or latex liner into it?
Please remember that there are other factors involved as the to price. Will you be creating the digital model for the mould to give to me to print or am I going to design it? That is an additional cost. Time and labour are not uniform in the industry, etc. Let me get back to you...

Is this what you expect?

Guestimate:
According to my program, this print, at the lowest resolution, but absolutely solid, will take about 379g of filament to print. If a 1-kg spool of filament costs about $20, this model would cost about $7.58 to make. Now, that is the actual material cost. You never know how much they are actually charging per amount of filament used, labor, etc. Personally, I would charge you ~20% above actual cost. I modeled that mould in 5-min. So, here is my approximate breakdown:

$9.10 for Mould + Shipping (this depends on where and how, of course).

Last edited:
View attachment 32541
Madison,
You want a sturdy mould. Will you be putting freezer paper or latex liner into it?
Please remember that there are other factors involved as the to price. Will you be creating the digital model for the mould to give to me to print or am I going to design it? That is an additional cost. Time and labour are not uniform in the industry, etc. Let me get back to you...

Is this what you expect?

Guestimate:
According to my program, this print, at the lowest resolution, but absolutely solid, will take about 379g of filament to print. If a 1-kg spool of filament costs about $20, this model would cost about $7.58 to make. Now, that is the actual material cost. You never know how much they are actually charging per amount of filament used, labor, etc. Personally, I would charge you ~20% above actual cost. I modeled that mould in 5-min. So, here is my approximate breakdown:

$9.10 for Mould + Shipping (this depends on where and how, of course).
Sounds reasonable. How about a thick sturdy walls like thick wood mould?

Sounds reasonable. How about a thick sturdy walls like thick wood mould?
Capture.PNG
The walls and bottom are a thickness of a centimeter. The prints are pretty solid and I believe would definitely hold. If I double the thickness to 2cm, the cost would be around $18. Again, that is about what I’d charge.

Last edited:
View attachment 32549
The walls and bottom are a thickness of a centimeter. The prints are pretty solid and I believe would definitely hold. If I double the thickness to 2cm, the cost would be around $18. Again, that is about what I’d charge.
Did you include the design price?
Do you have an idea what other people may charge?

Did you include the design price?
Do you have an idea what other people may charge?
No. I can't imagine what people are charging for that. That is all over the place as well. There are those who charge by quarter-hours and those who charge for a minimum hour, etc. I probably would have charged $7.5 for that model though it only took me 5 min. So, I would charge at 15min-minimum increments @ $30/hr rate. So, total cost would be around $30-35 + Shipping.

You can buy two cheaper wood molds for the price. :)

3D printed objects are very durable if designed and printed properly. Anyone can learn how to use a 3D modeling application to design their own models. Then, all you have to do is send it and the printer only prints, no other charges. There is an extremely popular 3D modeling application called Blender. It is free and absolutely amazing! It will also export out the file type needed for 3D printers. There are tons of video tutorials on how to use it.

Last edited:
No. I can't imagine what people are charging for that. That is all over the place as well. There are those who charge by quarter-hours and those who charge for a minimum hour, etc. I probably would have charged $7.5 for that model though it only took me 5 min. So, I would charge at 15min-minimum increments @ $30/hr rate. So, total cost would be around $30-35 + Shipping.

3D printed objects are very durable if designed and printed properly. Anyone can learn how to use a 3D modeling application to design their own models. Then, all you have to do is send it and the printer only prints, no other charges. There is an extremely popular 3D modeling application called Blender. It is free and absolutely amazing! It will also export out the file type needed for 3D printers. There are tons of video tutorials on how to use it.

Thank you Richard. Does every one uses the same materials?

If you are making a solid mold it is a good idea to have two fairly large round holes in the bottom so you can push the soap out. Or make one end removable.
Is it possible with 3D prints? How about using Mylar?

Back