3D printer advice for soapers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay… I think this advice might be out there in this forum but I couldn’t find it. I am daydreaming about getting a 3D printer and have been reading reviews for the latest models. I would use it for extruder discs, scrapers, and whatever else I dream up - generally small items. My husband is a CAD designer so he might be able to help me learn the software. Looking for your advice; what to look for, avoid, what software you use, any pearls of wisdom. TIA!

I saw the bat signal go up! Mine is a Prusa and I'm very glad that's the one I bought, it's a good price/quality balance and uses very standard parts so if anything gets damaged it's easy to find spares. It comes with its own software for slicing, pretty much any 3d program should be able to output STL files which is what you need.

(Back to away mode...)

my husband and I went back and forth on getting a 3d printer and if so, which one, it probably took us a year to decide. In the end the decision came to me wanting something already set up and ready to go, and him needing to print with filaments that require an enclosure (ABS) If you feel comfortable putting stuff together though, the one you suggested would probably work well. I noticed that it says that it comes semi assembled and that you will need to finish putting it together. However, this is quite common for most 3d printers.
There was a considerable learning curve, but I do enjoy having it and use it often. For PLA filament, you don’t need an enclosure, which is the filament most often used for soap scrapers, extruders, etc.
To design stuff, the free tinkercad software has been enough for me so far. I do make my own images using photoshop and a free online converter before importing them to it though.
Have fun shopping for one, though it can be confusing. Youtube reviews and demos were helpful for us.

my husband and I went back and forth on getting a 3d printer and if so, which one, it probably took us a year to decide. In the end the decision came to me wanting something already set up and ready to go, and him needing to print with filaments that require an enclosure (ABS) If you feel comfortable putting stuff together though, the one you suggested would probably work well. I noticed that it says that it comes semi assembled and that you will need to finish putting it together. However, this is quite common for most 3d printers.
There was a considerable learning curve, but I do enjoy having it and use it often. For PLA filament, you don’t need an enclosure, which is the filament most often used for soap scrapers, extruders, etc.
To design stuff, the free tinkercad software has been enough for me so far. I do make my own images using photoshop and a free online converter before importing them to it though.
Have fun shopping for one, though it can be confusing. Youtube reviews and demos were helpful for us.
Thank you! Helpful to know about assembly. If the directions are good I could (maybe) do it but I don’t want to set myself up for frustration. I’ll keep researching.

For programmers, there is linuxcnc.org, freecad, more. Here is another source. You may not want to do this much work, but it will inform you about the equipment. CNC Router Source: The Ultimate Information Resource
What are you using it for? I am looking to carve wood into shapes, pictures into wood. Could somebody print out soap using a paper printer? Stranger things have been done. I found a thread on someone carving soap into a shape with a router.

For programmers, there is linuxcnc.org, freecad, more. Here is another source. You may not want to do this much work, but it will inform you about the equipment. CNC Router Source: The Ultimate Information Resource
What are you using it for? I am looking to carve wood into shapes, pictures into wood. Could somebody print out soap using a paper printer? Stranger things have been done. I found a thread on someone carving soap into a shape with a router.
Thank you! I would use it for extruder and pull through discs, soap dishes, soap stamps, probably other things.

I watch Cheerios being extruded. The dough comes through a tube with a center rod then cut off into the little O's.

Latest posts

Back