35% Avocado oil - recipe ok?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I can get it (RBO) but I`ll have to order it online from a Norwegian company, it cost $7 for 3.3oz but there is a purchase minimum of $40, and shipping comes on top of that (no free shipping in Norway)
The almond alone cost $27 for 500ml (16.9oz)

Sunflower I can get at the store, it is usually the frying kind though, perhaps be on the lookout for a more pure version that is more used in salad dressings etc, seems they aren`t that refined as the frying kind.

Thank you both!

Good gracious me! And I thought Australian prices were stupidly high.
We get Cold filtered RBO for $9 for 4 litres from the supermarket.
I get Avocado & Almond oil 5 litres for $60. I can pick up so no postage.
EVOO first cold pressed 4 litres for $19 (cheaper on special) at the supermarket.

Still nothing as cheap as in the USA.

Last edited:
Actually you want the the frying kind. That will be high oleic sunflower more than likely, and is more resistant to DOS than normal sunflower.

Yes, that is of course right, and in acordance of DeeAnna mentioned in her post that IrishLass gave me a link too. Thanks for pointing that out to me, my head is spinning right now! :crazy: (long day!)

I am going to the stores tomorrow, I will search the isle of oils to see what they have.

I actualy takes me a lot of effort to take everything in, because I also have to internally translate absolutely every piece of info (properties of oils i.e oleic/linoleic/polyunsaturated/saturated etc) that I read in english, because in Norwegian the properities aren`t called by those terms.
Then doubble check everything, write it down in Norwegian, keep track of the source of what I found so I can go back and doubble check what I have been writing down in my notebook, in case I need it for later.
I have some learning disabilities that makes everything go a bit slow for me, so I use much more time to go through information than other people do. I am a visual learner, just show me a method once and I got it right away. But written information takes a lot of time for me to digest. Besides, this isn`t my language, and I didn`t learn a lot of english in school. But since soaping is a serious thing I want to do this properly an by the book - which makes me use so much more energy on this than others that remember written data more easily.
And now I am rambling (again) Sorry:silent:

Good gracious me! And I thought Australian prices were stupidly high.
We get Cold filtered RBO for $9 for 4 litres from the supermarket.
I get Avocado & Almond oil 5 litres for $60. I can pick up so no postage.
EVOO first cold pressed 4 litres for $19 (cheaper on special) at the supermarket.

Still nothing as cheap as in the USA.

Waaah??? Put on some coffee, will you, I am coming over there righ now to do some shoppin`!:) :mrgreen:

I love avocado oil too. :) I use it in pretty much every recipe at around 5-10%.
I had a batch with 20% avocado oil, while it was lovely on the skin as in conditioning, it was quite greasy and bars turned mushy in the shower.
I used unrefined avocado oil that has lots if unsaponifible stuff so that might be the cause.
That's the only thing I would be weary of.

Hmmm, I can get it (RBO) but I`ll have to order it online from a Norwegian company, it cost $7 for 3.3oz but there is a purchase minimum of $40, and shipping comes on top of that (no free shipping in Norway)

The almond alone cost $27 for 500ml (16.9oz)

(see why I prefer ordering from overseas??:-|)

Sunflower I can get at the store, it is usually the frying kind though, perhaps be on the lookout for a more pure version that is more used in salad dressings etc, seems they aren`t that refined as the frying kind.

Thank you both!
t4426.gif

I wouldn't bother with the RBO if it costs that much there. It's inexpensive in my part of the U.S., and a nice filler oil for that reason. I don't notice any benefit from using it in soap. In fact after I use up what I have left, I may not pick up any more for soaping.

The high heat/frying oil sunflower oil is usually the high oleic version.

I love avocado oil too. :) I use it in pretty much every recipe at around 5-10%.

I had a batch with 20% avocado oil, while it was lovely on the skin as in conditioning, it was quite greasy and bars turned mushy in the shower.

I used unrefined avocado oil that has lots if unsaponifible stuff so that might be the cause.

That's why I've been trying almond oil as a sub for avocado oil. I've had more rave reviews for my 30% almond oil soaps than the 30% avocado ones - same recipe just that oil swapped. I am making more now to compare again, just I case there was another factor involved. :)

I have 5 litres of avocado oil to get through though so I'll be using it for a while. It is refined and 1/2 the price of unrefined.

Last edited:

Thank you, good to know!:) Seems I misread the bottle, it says it is coldpressed and refined, not unrefined. So it seems to be a good one.

I wouldn't bother with the RBO if it costs that much there. It's inexpensive in my part of the U.S., and a nice filler oil for that reason. I don't notice any benefit from using it in soap. In fact after I use up what I have left, I may not pick up any more for soaping.

The high heat/frying oil sunflower oil is usually the high oleic version.

Thank you, I agree, I think RBO is out, can`t waste that much money for something that may be meh in my soaps.

That's why I've been trying almond oil as a sub for avocado oil. I've had more rave reviews for my 30% almond oil soaps than the 30% avocado ones - same recipe just that oil swapped. I am making more now to compare again, just I case there was another factor involved. :)

I have 5 litres of avocado oil to get through though so I'll be using it for a while. It is refined and 1/2 the price of unrefined.

The almond oils I got my hands on I feel became rancid quite quickly, but I only purchased very small amounts to use in my lipbalms. It is strange how different oils can make such a difference when the recipe is the same, interesting to hear, thank you.
Ps. 5 litres of avocado oil, that makes a looot of soaps, especially since it isn`t used 100% in the recipe, lol.

I made soap with 30% Avocado and high olive oil a year ago, I started using it last week, it’s lovely and pretty hard.

Perhaps it benefitted the long cure, it sounds like a lovely piece of soap!

Thank you, I agree, I think RBO is out, can`t waste that much money for something that may be meh in my soaps.

Ps. 5 litres of avocado oil, that makes a looot of soaps, especially since it isn`t used 100% in the recipe, lol.

Perhaps it benefitted the long cure, it sounds like a lovely piece of soap!

To me, RBO is not blah in soap but at the cost to you it is not worth it at all.

My DH thought we had enough soap to last us for years when I had 200 bars but it goes quickly when you give it away as presents and have a messy family! And the Castile is out of bounds because it has to cure for a year.

Every handmade soap I have ever tried has benefited from a long cure.

I myself am *very* guilty about trying soaps before they have had a decent cure. I don't let anyone else use them when they are so young, but I get so curious to see how they are doing! I usually just take end pieces to use.

Finally allowed myself a whole bar to use that had been curing for a year now. It's not a recipe I plan on repeating (it was made from Vegetable Shortening, which I know better to avoid now), but it's still fantastic after a nice cure.

To me, RBO is not blah in soap but at the cost to you it is not worth it at all.

My DH thought we had enough soap to last us for years when I had 200 bars but it goes quickly when you give it away as presents and have a messy family! And the Castile is out of bounds because it has to cure for a year.

Every handmade soap I have ever tried has benefited from a long cure.

Thanks for the input! If I had it easily available and to a lower cost I would get it. Good to hear is a good oil though, it must be popular for a reason since I read so many use it in their soaps! But I can`t justify the cost when it becomes so expensive.

*gasppppp* You only had 200 bars? Hurry, make more, you`re almost out!! (husbands don`t get it. They just don`t... *grin* :mrgreen:)

Ps. I have only made Castile soaps 6 or 7 times (small batches to see how I liked them) and I have discovered that they are not for everybody. Not everyone like the "slimy" feel to them when they compare them to my other soaps that makes lots of bubbles. They prefer my regular soaps. The Castile ones I have on my shelf to see how they are after 1 year, and 2 etc, are only 8/9 months old, so they are not done, but to be honest, they aren`t my favourite type soap after discovering lard. I love lard and coconut combo with other oils.

I myself am *very* guilty about trying soaps before they have had a decent cure. I don't let anyone else use them when they are so young, but I get so curious to see how they are doing! I usually just take end pieces to use.

Finally allowed myself a whole bar to use that had been curing for a year now. It's not a recipe I plan on repeating (it was made from Vegetable Shortening, which I know better to avoid now), but it's still fantastic after a nice cure.

Oh, me too, I can NOT leave well alone, but have to test endpieces of the soap before it is all done curing!:shh:

But I think several people do that. It is a good way of really feeling and seing for yourself how a good cure will make a soap much, much better! Sort of a reminder that good soap = good cure. Like with your soap:)

Besides, personal experience with something like this, will make us more convincing and confident when we talk to people who want to know what it really takes to make a good piece of soap. If nothing else, it will at least even out some of the misinformation that is cirkulating the internet.

*gasppppp* You only had 200 bars? Hurry, make more, you`re almost out!! (husbands don`t get it. They just don`t... *grin* :mrgreen:)

Ps. I have only made Castile soaps 6 or 7 times (small batches to see how I liked them) and I have discovered that they are not for everybody. Not everyone like the "slimy" feel to them when they compare them to my other soaps that makes lots of bubbles. They prefer my regular soaps. The Castile ones I have on my shelf to see how they are after 1 year, and 2 etc, are only 8/9 months old, so they are not done, but to be honest, they aren`t my favourite type soap after discovering lard. I love lard and coconut combo with other oils.

LOL It's not just husbands it is spouses and significant others! They sure don't get it.

I gave up on home made soap when a friend gave me hers and I tried them (a wide selection) and put them away in the cupboard. A year or so later I found them and thought I might as well use them up.

The difference was incredible! All of them were wonderful including the Castile. I love castile but most of mine have manuka honey and vanilla bean seeds in them. Not sure if that makes a difference but we don't get slime. It could be our water too. I am not sure. I also make it with salt for my dh and he loves it. He has bad eczema and the dermatologist told him it is all he should use. He uses my other soap(without fragrance) though (because my castile without salt isn't old enough yet) and he finds them better than commercial soap.

Everyone's skin is different though so you have to try various things and work out what works for you and your family. It is very annoying but necessary.

I made this recipe today, and oh boy, was this well behaved. I had lots of time working with it, I could take my time adding colors and fragrance and it was just so pleasant to work with.
Used Gingered Bergamott fragrance from NG, wow this was delishious. Fresh but also a littlebit sweet and a tiny bit herbal.
Love it, sos did hubby.

Latest posts

Back