30% Coconut Oil and high Supper Fat Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
Many experienced KP members have stated high CO percentages are very harsh on their skin. I have used as high as 30% CO because I like the lather qualities of this oil. I cannot see that my skin has suffered from this high percentage but I would like to know if I increase the supper fat from 5% to 8% or even 10%, would that offset the harshness of the higher use of CO? Would the higher supper fat diminish the lather?

If your soap is not harsh on your skin, then why increase the "supper" fat? If you like what you've got now, don't fix what isn't broke. :)

A higher superfat can reduce how much body oil and protein is stripped off the skin when using a soap that has a lot of lauric and myristic acids (in other words, a soap high in coconut oil). Some people are not as sensitive to this as others -- not sure if it's genetic or environmental or a little of both. In general, a higher superfat will also tend to reduce the lather, increase the softness of the soap, and possibly increase the chance of DOS (rancidity).

My tallow/lard formula contains 31% of a coconut/pko combo (I like to use them together), and I superfat it at 8% to prevent it from being too cleansing. Your mileage will vary depending on skin-type, of course, but for what it's worth, it makes a really nice, super-bubbly/creamy bar that doesn't make our skins feel parched.

IrishLass :)

Thanks for all the comments. I think the answer for me is I will continue using my 30% CO and 5% SF - so far my skin handles it just fine. I also agree that a long cure makes a better soap. I always do a long cure and that may also be why I have no problem with 30% CO.

Thanks for all the comments. I think the answer for me is I will continue using my 30% CO and 5% SF - so far my skin handles it just fine. I also agree that a long cure makes a better soap. I always do a long cure and that may also be why I have no problem with 30% CO.
How long do you cure this soap? I'm thinking about using 30% coconut oil too

How long do you cure this soap? I'm thinking about using 30% coconut oil too
This person you are quoting for an answer hasn't been here for 2 yrs, so I doubt you'll get and answer from them, this thread is from 6 yrs ago.

Latest posts

Back