3 Things that I bought for making soap that I've never used.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrissyB

Reaction score
While going through my soap cupboard today I came across a few items that I bought when I first started making soap 2 years ago. I can honestly say that I have never, ever, not even once used these items.
They are:
Thermometers ( I bought two of them, haven't even used one)
Pumice (Just haven't got around to using that in a soap, though it's still on the to do list)
Pyrex jugs to mix the lye in. Luckily I found this forum and read up on the dangers of using glass to mix lye in before any nasty accidents happened. Now I just keep the pyrex for the kitchen.

While I'm at it, a few items that I absolutely couldn't live without...
Goggles
Rubber gloves
Long sleeved shirt
Whisk and stick blender
Silicone spatula
Stainless steel saucepan (large) and stainless steel bowls
Scales

What are your items that you "just haven't got round to using"?

I keep saving interesting things to use as molds... but I keep going back to my PVC pipe. I just like round soap and individual molds often annoy me. But one day I'll use them.... probably. :)

I also have about 30 FO's that I have not yet used.

Oh heavens.Not much soap stuff,but B&B-loads. I have cornflower & rose petals,natrasorb bath,epsom salts-all stuff I thought would be great in bath soaks,just never got the creative urge to use them...yet...
Lipbalm flavours,mica,pots,tubes. Lotion bar tubes,stainless tins,bath oil bottles.Various waxes. Some 90mm pvc pipe,several ind moulds(have used,but ultimately found them to be a royal pita).

The indispensables:
1 SS pot
1 plastic bowl
cheapo plastic jugs
$2 spatula's from k-mart
Trusty SB
Digital Scales
homemade wooden log moulds

Goes to show you dont really need all the bells n whistles huh?

Wow, you guys could start an exchange or something like that. Is it really that dangerous to use a glass jug for the lye water? Im kind of terrified now. Will go buy a plastic one. :eek:

I'm a mold whore. Have plenty of things that I only used once, or perhaps never at all.

small plastic bundt pan
individual silicone muffin cups
little silicone ice tray

Ok I'm new... When reading this tread I noticed that ChrissyB said that mixing lye in glass is bad... every book I read so far recommends mixing lye in a glass jug... is this dangerous?

NO way I'd mix lye in glass. Earlier this week I had a Pampered Chef glass batter bowl explode just sitting, clean, dry and unused on the shelf. I didn't use it for soap, only pancake batter. Can you imagine the havoc wreaked if it had been filled with lye/water.

Use plastic. I mix in a 1 gallon rubbermaid, store any leftovers in a thoroughly washed laundry detergent jug, and measure out for individual batches in Ikea plastic 1 quart measures.

Wow that must be SOME Pancake batter!! :wink:

I agree... no glass for me. Even Pyrex or other glass that can withstand high temps will be affected by the lye over time and will eventually develop micro cracks... and one day they will break.

I keep thinking of that cute soaper lady on Youtube who uses a spagetti sauce jar. Scary :shock:

Exactly like Deda... I use a Rubbermaid plastic pitcher to mix my lye and I store it in HDPE rated laundry detergent bottles. I also use IKEA plastic pitchers to measure out the pre-mixed lye when I make a batch.

Oh wow. That is really scary... I'm glad I know better now! Holy smokes!! Rubbermaid it is!

Pumice is on my list as well
Neem oil
cream soap base.

Things I can't live without
Cocoa butter
My Fo's, seems like my Eo's just gather dust these days
my stick blender
A husband to cut all my soaps :oops:

Deda said:
NO way I'd mix lye in glass. Earlier this week I had a Pampered Chef glass batter bowl explode just sitting, clean, dry and unused on the shelf. I didn't use it for soap, only pancake batter. Can you imagine the havoc wreaked if it had been filled with lye/water.

Use plastic. I mix in a 1 gallon rubbermaid, store any leftovers in a thoroughly washed laundry detergent jug, and measure out for individual batches in Ikea plastic 1 quart measures.

chemists exclusively use glassware for their reactions and they get extremely high temperature for prolonged periods of time. they also use chemicals like NaOH all the time.

Perhaps chemistry grade glassware would be ideal for mixing lye?

TomDillinger said:
Deda said:

chemists exclusively use glassware for their reactions and they get extremely high temperature for prolonged periods of time. they also use chemicals like NaOH all the time.

Perhaps chemistry grade glassware would be ideal for mixing lye?

It'd be much better, yes. Chem-grade glass is borosilicate, which doesn't expand nearly as much as silicon dioxide when heated.

Pyrex used to be borosilicate, but it's soda lime glass these days in the US (Europe differs). It's tempered, but that's no guarantee that it won't shatter. Eventually, if shocked thermally often and severely enough, tempered glass WILL shatter.

So will borosilicate...eventually...but it's a lot less likely.

Plastics don't thermally shock like that, though they may crack under heat. Plastic would be preferred for this task, although you may want to use phthalate-free plastic if that worries you.

Mine is the thermometers as well, although I *did* actually use them for the very first batches. Now they sit unused.
Other than that, so far there isn't anything I have bought specifically for soaping that I haven't used yet, unless you count them FOs or colorants I just haven't gotten to yet. I certainly *plan* to use those though. :)

So far mine is two plastic molds and I don't plan on using them. Oh silicone, how could I ever use them when I have you?

What I'm seeing is that it is smart that I soap on a smallish budget it means I'm careful about what I but.

Do have unused salts but I'm waiting on containers.

Pumice
Crushed walnut shells
Buttermilk Powder

All still sitting there.

Can't live without: Stick blender, scales, Face shield. :wink:

I have several Milky Way molds I don't use (at least not more than very occasionally and usually for the extra MP).

Vanilla stabilizer. I used it once, but I find I actually like the discoloration (at least in MP, we'll see in CP).

xyxoxy said:
Exactly like Deda... I use a Rubbermaid plastic pitcher to mix my lye and I store it in HDPE rated laundry detergent bottles. I also use IKEA plastic pitchers to measure out the pre-mixed lye when I make a batch.

I use a plastic pitcher also. I never thought of making up more lye water than I need and storing it. Sound very convient!!! Wouldn't have to wait for it to come to room temp either. Does it settle? It doesn't eat thru the bottle? You measure out the same amount of liquid that you need in the recipe?

spotts71 said:
I use a plastic pitcher also. I never thought of making up more lye water than I need and storing it. Sound very convient!!! Wouldn't have to wait for it to come to room temp either. Does it settle? It doesn't eat thru the bottle? You measure out the same amount of liquid that you need in the recipe?

I'd love to know too!

I haven't purchased anything I haven't used, other than coconut milk powder. I decided against using it in the soap and opted for real coconut milk instead.

Back