$3 silicone cake pans

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheLion

Reaction score
I stopped into Aldi's today and discovered they have square silicone cake pans at the moment. They feel reasonably substantial though they will probably need side support and bottom support if moving. I picked up 2 of them because they were so inexpensive. They are with the Valentine stuff and are a limited thing.

IMAG0208.jpg

I found similar at a thrift store, and WITH a support wire frame and cover - its my go-to slab mold and I love it so. You could easily find or make a box to be a support frame. The only thing is that you will probably need to trim the edges to make them square, but hey - can always use more soap scraps for embeds :) Awesome find!

Good find.

For added sturdiness while pouring, transporting my soap molds, I use a cardboard flat box (lid/top cut off of bigger box) such as you find grocery stores sit their cans in on the shelves. I have various sizes and some are perfect for providing that extra stability needed for the silicone molds that might be a bit prone to bowing out at the sides. In addition to that, I have some extra cardboard pieces (like lid-flaps, etc.) that I use to wedge between the molds on the outside to add extra support so they don't bow quite so much. It works pretty well, but there is still some trimming to be done on the outer edges of the finished soap. But that's okay, I can use those trimmings for travel soap.

I found similar at a thrift store, and WITH a support wire frame and cover - its my go-to slab mold and I love it so. You could easily find or make a box to be a support frame. The only thing is that you will probably need to trim the edges to make them square, but hey - can always use more soap scraps for embeds :) Awesome find!

Nice! So far at thrift stores I've only managed to find a batter mixing bowl and a #5 plastic measuring cup that I use for lye. But I always keep my eyes open when I go.

Once the weather is a bit warmer I'll be dragging out my table saw to redo my drying rack anyway so I'll make wood boxes for them. Until then, I'm sure I can find a cardboard stand-in.

Back