2nd batch at 4 weeks - a bit drying?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purplerain

Reaction score
My second batch of soap is now 4 weeks old so I was very excited to try it out today. It lathered beautifully, seems suitably hard and smells divine but seemed a bit drying on my face and slightly stung my eyes.
This is the recipe:
55% lard
20% OO
20% CO
5% castor oil
Rose garden fo
The conditioning number was 52
It seems to have stopped losing weight.

Do you think it will be less drying if it cures longer? I know I will find this out but I have given a couple of bars to friends and want to tell them when they can use it. I've got another batch coming up for 4 weeks and it has Shea butter in it so I guess I will be able to compare.

Any ideas, suggestions?

What is your SF? I've made very similar recipes and don't find them drying at all at 4 weeks. I normally SF in the 5%-8% range.

Personally, I have yet to find a non-face-specific soap that isn't at least a bit drying on my face. It's just my facial skin type, I guess. Unless it was supposed to be a facial bar, I'd probably let your friends know it's fine to use (though you might mention that it might be a bit drying on some people's faces).

At this point it could simply need more time to cure, more superfat in the next recipe, or lower cleansing, or even higher conditioning numbers. Once its right, you have your own favorite custom soap recipe :)

I am pretty sure that any and all soap made with NaOH or KOH will sting your eyes though...

Well, I live in the rainforest so I guess it's pretty humid here too! Especially right now. Nothing but rain and mist. More curing I guess - so hard to wait when you are a newbie!

I think your superfat is fine, your cleansing is fine, and your recipe looks lovely. YES I think it just needs more cure time, I think you will be very surprised at how different this soap is at 8 weeks than it is now!

Any true soap will burn if it gets in the eyes. I also find some can sting on the eyelids too. If you find your soap is still to drying after a few more weeks cure time, cut your coconut oil down to 15%. I use 10-15% coconut oil in soaps geared towards women and my men's fragranced soaps I use 20%. I superfat at 2-3%. With a low cleansing number I find it hard to rinse off a higher superfatted soap.

Latest posts

Back