2g Mica Samples

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allinalather

Reaction score
I have about 15 samples 2g each of mica. I am new to soaping so I thought I would ask here before I go ahead.

I was thinking of making these into colour blocks. Mixing with alcohol and then adding to about 30g of clear m&p. These could then be used later to add colour to soap. Does this sound feasible?

If you're going to use it to color M&P, I think it would work. If you're going to use it to color CP, I don't think it will work. Oops, sorry, I just realized this is in the M&P section, so yes, I think it will be fine. BUT....I haven't worked with M&P a lot so lets see what more experience people have to say as they come by, lol.

I think that would work well. But, mica goes into MP soap sooooooo easily that I don't see the advantage of using the blocks except for controlling the amount of color more precisely.

You don't need to mix it with alcohol first. Mica will disperse easily into MP soap as a dry powder.

I haven't started making soap properly yet. I have made one bar (yay!) so far. This was just to test ultramarine blue. I was so taken with the colour that I got some without doing research. I intended it to colour bath bombs but found out that it would turn the bath and bather blue! I also read that used in soap it could smell of sulpher. I am not sure about the soap I made which was 30g clear with a pinch of ultramarine and topped up with clear 100g. It washes hands nicely with good lather, but there is a smell. If it is still there tomorrow, I will pitch it out and keep the ultramarine blue for candles.

What I did find was working with only 30g of wax was challenging, it had to be microwaved every minute or so and was setting almost immediately. I thought that maybe making these blocks would give me some practice with working in small quantities (and a ban marie).

Back