2022 (too soon?) Soap Making Goals.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve had four soaps that I have tossed. The soap that shattered, the soap that turned into concrete, the soap where I had the wrong lye solution to and I thought was going to catch on fire and the Marijuana FO soap (it was bad).

For the homeless shelter, I buy cheaper washcloths and zip lock bags. All the bars are cut in half and half go in the bags with a washcloth and the other half in a ‘refill’ box. Soap for the food bank goes into unbranded boxes with ingredients label and name of the soap. For the DV shelter, I go with wrapping paper, just to make it a little more special. Again…unbranded with just labels for ingredients and name of soap.
This is great - I will pursue. I’m sorry I don’t know what DV shelter means.

DV = domestic violence.

Frequently abbreviated for many reasons, one is because it can be triggering to survivors to see it in full, but also some platforms won't allow discussion of such topics.

Cheese slicers on Amazon are cheap; its what I used to cut my soap. I did modify it just a tad because the soap liked to slide. I got a dowel, sanded it down a bit. Sanded off some of the finish on the slicer, glued the dowel down along the edge. I got lucky in getting first dibs on an original Bud’s Single Bar Cutter, but I still use the cheese slicer for test batches.
What kind of cheese slicer do you use from Amazon? You have my attention!

Domestic violence shelters house women and children. A variety of handmade soaps to pamper them in a time of stress would be very welcome. You could also donate to the organizations that support the shelters themselves since staff would appreciate homemade soap and share among other DV survivors that they are still in contact with.

Spacing out my soaping time and plan so I don't get a burn out. Had to stop soaping for a long while this year because I was in a bad mental state and forced myself to continue making soaps even when I'm not feeling up to it but also felt bad since I already measure and poured the oil.
Sometimes it's okay to let that jug of oil sit on your counter for a while. Just don't knock it over o_O

Plans for the near future?

I feel a bit obliged to do something about researching dual-lye hardness and bubbliness (to make up for my absent-minded nosiness towards @dibbles, @Ladka and @Mobjack Bay 😇). Amongst about a dozen of other projects… my curing rack wasn't amused to see me restock NaOH 🤣.

It's probably also due time for a coming-out to a few people who probably would eagerly help me use up my soapy escapades, but who have not the slightest idea about them yet.

And then, there are some first-life changes imminent. I expect that they will heavily restrict my time budget for some superfluous luxuries that I currently believe I can still afford. Let's see how all this pans out.
Oh! If the curing racks could talk!!!

What kind of cheese slicer do you use from Amazon? You have my attention!

I bought This One on Amazon...it's gone up a bit since then. I then ended up modifying with by getting a round dowel, sanding it a bit flat, sanding the front edge of the slicer and gluing it on.

Domestic violence shelters house women and children.

They also house men and their children. One of our local shelters now has three houses for men and a separate intake center staffed by men.

Gecko,
I love the idea of the washcloths and sacks. I always donate to DV shelters but this year I had a seize on a more masculine soap and a couple of tests on masculine fragrances I didn't like. I think I will use your idea on those. Cutting in half also sounds good. I really like half-bars by a sink because they have a nice hand fill.

My goals for 2022:
1) try the borax idea for a mechanics soap;
2) Learn about making soap embeds
3) Be back at fall craft fairs after 2 years away
4) Reduce fragrance stash.

Well I'm failing miserably at my goals of keeping my fragrance oil stash and soap mold stashes down. I just keep buying more! Hope your goals are progressing better than mine!

Hope your goals are progressing better than mine!

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 This was the closest to "hysterical laughter" I could find.

So okay...have about 80% of my product line finalized. Have designed new labels, but no new boxes. Have spent a little time with the website, but still need backgrounds and photos...we're getting there. I haven't ordered the beveler yet...probably June. Not doing anything with the garage until June when the weather is nicer. Did find a new source for a Cantaloupe FO, haven't ordered it yet. New product development is slow.

Latest posts

Back