Quantcast

2014 Pretty Blind Superfat Soap Swap

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What does this mean?! Have you had other soap nightmares? I hope this is no premonition for this swap. ;)

Jencat

Reaction score
Interesting so far. Thanks for posting the lather pics! I can't wait to find out which is which.

eyeroll

Reaction score
What does this mean?! Have you had other soap nightmares? I hope this is no premonition for this swap. ;)
Nope, I think it was a premonition for the soap I made last night. BAH.

As promised, here are lather pics. Please try to ignore the fact that my captions look like they were scrawled by a drunken monkey who has three broken toes, trying to write with his feet.

054.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

057.jpg

058.jpg

059.jpg

060.jpg

061.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
OMG. Your scrawl about the bad picture made me laugh out loud.

Okay, did you have a method to test your lather? It is so different from mine. I used warm water and gave each bar a work out. I was not methodical like some people are, with 4 swipes of the soap and then rubbing for X many seconds.

eyeroll

Reaction score
I used warm water and worked each bar for about ten seconds - so not very long. I tried not to look at your pics before taking mine as I didn't want to be unduly influenced, but yeah, you got much better lather. I probably should have worked them more.

ETA: Comparing our pics, I think it's clear that there are a couple soaps that definitely have different lather: 1/1, 5, and 7. Hmmm.

On another note, I wanted to ask what fragrance you used for the -40% castile. I love it!

Last edited:

Obsidian

Reaction score
Its really interesting to see the difference in lather between testers. Could you guys post what kind of water you have if you know? It make me wonder if eyeroll has hard water.

lpstephy85

Reaction score
I did each bar for about 10-15 seconds in warm water. I have city water so it isn't hard but I wouldn't say it is soft either (if that makes any sense...) ImageUploadedBySoap Making1399733354.921830.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1399733371.574861.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1399733387.854524.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1399733446.009207.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1399733458.685788.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1399733469.688249.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1399733485.569985.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1399733503.538115.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1399733520.874951.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1399733534.521438.jpg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have city water which is somewhat hard but I have a water softener. So it's a soft as a softener will make it.

I might well go back and re-do mine but be more methodical.

The Castile I sent out was made with BB Gingerale and a bit of BB Lime- both excellent fragrances.

MzMolly65

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay reporting in, been busy with a new job! Got the box, opened it and admired all the soaps, love the cube .. no time to try any yet. Will try and do some testing on my first day off, Tuesday!

kharmon320

Reaction score
Just following along, but needed to ask what you mean about the -40% castille. Does that mean the water discount? Or is it -40 superfat. I can't imagine it's superfat. Sorry to interrupt the party, but have some thoughts on which picture is a certain SF. Curious to see if my conclusions are accurate.

Will you be posting the SF% soon to match the numbers?

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There were two -40% Sf in the box. One is the -40% sf with excess water made with a castile recipe (that was just for kicks so people are not showing the lather from it. The recipe is different from the rest so you can't compare) and one in the actual swap was made with -40% SF with excess water but made with the swap recipe. So yes, there is one picture in the lather pics of a -40% sf soap. BTW, nothing in the box zaps, believe it or not.

I wanted to give everyone a chance to lather up and test their soaps before I post which is which. Would people have an issue if I just set a date to post them and if you haven't tried them by them, at least you know not to look?

I was thinking I would post them on Wednesday this week.

Last edited:

FlybyStardancer

Reaction score
Just following along, but needed to ask what you mean about the -40% castille. Does that mean the water discount? Or is it -40 superfat. I can't imagine it's superfat.
It is a -40 SF. The thread that talks about it is over here. It's an old andalusian castile recipe with both a large lye excess and a large water excess. I've made it, and it's really neat.

eyeroll

Reaction score
I wanted to give everyone a chance to lather up and test their soaps before I post which is which. Would people have an issue if I just set a date to post them and if you haven't tried them by them, at least you know not to look?

I was thinking I would post them on Wednesday this week.

No issues with picking a date to post SFs, but I'd prefer a little later; say, Friday, if everyone can wait that long. Because this swap is all about ME and MY schedule....if not, I'll have to disconnect my wifi and buy a chastity belt for my hands so I don't log on and peek.

kharmon320

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification! Wow! Can't wait to see what results everyone gets with the varying superfats.

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am okay with Friday. I know there were some delays in when people could get their boxes etc... I just don't want to forget about it and make it too long. I think Friday is very reasonable. If people have other needs, please pipe up!

green soap

Reaction score
I tried all the soaps but I am not ready for sharing notes yet. I used them all to remove whatever surface coating might be there, and I will do a test again, after that first layer is gone.

The problem I have with comparing lather is that the shape of the soaps affects how soon they lather. The flatter ones with more surface area seem easier to lather up quickly. In any case, I hope to talk DH into taking some pictures soon and in good day light. Or maybe I'll take picts and let him lather, his hands are much larger.

I have noticed differences in how fast they lather, the quality of the lather (some seem to have only tiny bubbles, others have bigger bubbles), how my hands feel afterward, and the hardness and appearance of the bars. Some of the bars seem a lot harder/softer - differences in color too, the harder ones are also lighter or whiter. The other difference is that some of them have a silky/slimy feel right before they start to lather. This is why I washed the outer layer in all, not sure if any of this is just the surface. In my case, I spray alcohol to suppress ash, does this affect the properties of the outer layer? I know I am being anal....

The -40% SF castile is surprisingly hard considering the extra water used in the soap, and the fact it is all OO. Thank you for sending us a piece of it, it is very interesting. This one has the thinnest lather (almost no lather) and it also makes my hands itch a little. The blue color is beautiful and goes very well with the scent. Amazing how a soap with that much OO and water could be so hard after a relatively short cure.

I think we have somewhat hard water, not extremely hard.

I am leaving the country on Thursday for a couple of week. If you post the corresponding SF% numbers on Friday I'll just put the soaps away and use them again when I get back, and compare them to the results you post.

LunaSkye

Reaction score
Somewhere in this crazy world of ours! ^_^
This is by far one of the most interesting threads I have read in a long time (generally speaking). I'm looking forward to reading everyone's take on the soaps they received, especially since this will help me out for future references.

newbie, the soap swap was a great idea.

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Green soap, I just re-did my lathers on all the soaps and had some of the same thoughts re:shape of the soap and surface areas. I also wonder if I vary how hard I press when I am rubbing the soap (how's that for anal). I noticed the varying colors and some of the soaps almost have streaks within the bar. I believe everyone gelled so I was surprised that a few of them look white enough to be ashy. I thought some of the color differences could be due to the type of OO we used; I made two with the same brand of OO and note the color difference between them but it seems like the 1/1 is just more translucent. My speculation, which is also based on prior normal soap I have made, is that the higher the superfat, the more translucent it will seem and I have changed my Sf in some of my regular soap depending on if I was that look or if I want a flatter look. This time around, I ran each bar under the water on both sides and let them sit damp while I went through lathering each one. I had no problems getting them going. I was very surprised to see some had finer denser bubbles and some had bigger looser bubbles, since it's the same recipe.

Re: the -40% castile, several people who've made it have noticed that the lather is somewhat variable, even with the same bar. Sometimes I could get a good lather going pretty easily and other times it was like it was dead. No idea why unless there is some sort of restructuring that goes on with cure, which I think is possible. I got the best results in lathering that by dampening the bar and then waiting for about 20-30 seconds before washing with it. Even with all the water in that recipe (or I'm thinking BECAUSE of all the water in the recipe), people could unmold within 24 hours generally and I unmolded one after about 2 hours with no problems. It defies the rules about castile in a number of ways.

Luna, thank you. It is a question that seems to come up a lot so I thought it made some sense to take a look at it and having ten of us do it will be interesting. I am wondering if we will all get the same overall results.

Here are pics of my latest lathers. I dampened all the bars before I started so they had time sitting slightly wet, swiped it 6 times (once up and back counted as 1 swipe) and then counted to "6 one thousand" and gathered the lather for the picture. I think the gather is a bad idea but I just do it naturally. I've used these bars a number of times now so I think I'm past any surface issues.

Order is: 1, 1/1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

eyeroll

Reaction score
SPOILERS

I've now had the chance to use each of the soaps and here are my notes. At the bottom is my best guess as to what the SF levels are - or maybe more accurately, how soft my skin felt after using them.

This was the first time I've experienced a "film" on my skin. I've heard Carolyn describe it before, but unlike her, I like it. It reminds me more of a light lotion than an oily film, but then I live in a very dry climate.

Soap 1 - good lather, felt nice on the skin when showering. Immediately after shower skin felt extremely tight and dry but not itchy, which was just awful. Surprisingly, though, the next day there was no itch and very little visible dryness, if any. This was my least favorite.

Soap 1/1 - Decent lather but not as good as 1. No tightness, itching, or dryness after shower but skin appears a little dry. Slightly lotiony/oily feeling on skin after shower but it dissipated quickly; it wasn't unpleasant. This was my husband's least favorite; he said it wasn't cleansing enough.

Soap 2 - Good lather, between 1 and 1/1. Skin felt nice and soft after shower but there is a slight itching immediately after shower. This went away quickly and very little visible skin dryness.

Soap 3 - Not great lather in the shower. Skin is nice and soft after shower. No itching and no visiible skin dryness.

Soap 4 - Good lather. Skin felt fine both in and out of the shower. No itch but no softness to skin either. Very meh. For some reason this seems like a slightly lower SF than #2, but I don't have a good reason why. Bubbles, maybe? This one was my husband's favorite.

Soap 5 - Nice lather. Feels good in shower but my skin was dry and tight for a little while after the shower, though not as tight feeling as soap 1. A little visible dryness but no itch.

Soap 6 - Fairly scant lather. My skin felt very soft out of the shower and there was a bit of the lotiony coating but it was very slight and went away quickly. No dryness, itching, or tightness on skin.

Soap 7 - Scant lather. Felt similar in shower to 6 but didn't leave the lotiony coating on my skin. There was slight itching after getting out of the shower. I think this is fairly high SF due to lack of bubbles but I'm not sure where to rank it. B/t 2 and 3?

Soap 8 - Very scant lather and slightly oily film on my skin after I got out of the shower. No itch, no visible dryness. Feels really good on the skin, no tightness or dryness.

Soap 10 - There was a very rich and lotiony film on my skin out of shower. Feels nourishing. No itch, tightness or visible dryness, and my skin was really soft. Hard to lather up.

SF guess (low to high)

1 - 5 - 4 - 2 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 8 - 1/1 - 10

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I posted the key in s separate thread so people can look if they choose. Everything is updated.

Last edited:

Latest posts