2 questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emilee

Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone make soap using soy bean oil (along with olive, coconut and palm etc) and had feedback that customers were allergic to it or didn't like the idea of a soy product? I'd like to know if I should change my soy bean oil for rice bran oil, or what your opinions are.

Also, any suggestions on a natural product to make the soap end up purple? I've found clays etc that make most other colours, but not sure on purple.

1) Crisco is soy bean based, lots of people use crisco.

2) Have not tried it, but what about beet powder or beet juice?

I am very new at soapmaking and when I tried a few batches with soybean (because I could get it at a reasonalble price). I eventually changed my recipe to crisco(which is soybean) and I could tell the difference. Im sticking with the crisco for now. I will add that it might just be my combo of oils and the % Im using that I saw the difference. i use castor oil, olive,coconut,crisco and it is a nice bar. Kathleen

Emilee said:
Also, any suggestions on a natural product to make the soap end up purple? I've found clays etc that make most other colours, but not sure on purple.

Try Alkanet root powder, rattanjot or red sandlewood powder are used to produce different shades of purple.

thanks

those are all helpful answers. I do like your site Cathy, very informative. And Digit, that link is great too. Ta.

Newbie here, but to answer your allergie question, I am allergic to soy products, which is not uncommon. Of course, it does not mean to say that you should change your recipe, :wink: but there are people that do have that allergy.

Latest posts

Back