2 month lye water storage suggestions?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kari

Reaction score
Hi! I recently masterbatched my lye into a 50/50 solution for the first time. Long story short, I don't think that's going to work for me. I wasn't aware that when you add the additional water before soaping, the chemical reaction takes place again and you get fumes and the water heats up. It's not as bad/hot as just mixing it on the fly, it's not the time-saving, safer measure I needed.

At this point I'm just going to separate the lye solution into ready-to-soap batches. I know we want #5(polypropylene) or #2(HDPE) plastic containers for lye water. So my question:

What can I buy for cheap at Walmart/Target that make safe and effective lye storage containers? I've probably got enough 50/50 lye water for 6 batches of soap, so I'll need 6 containers.

I've been using paint-stirring buckets when I mixed it on the fly, but they're expensive and ace hardware and I aren't on speaking terms atm.

Clearly label and secure (lock up) dangerous items.

Walmart sells a blue 7 gallon drinking water "Cubetainers".

Or re-use bleach bottles.

There is a danger is that you forget about the stored caustic lye solution, and then somebody else finds it or stumbles upon it several years from now with a burn injury.

Look for something of the proper plastic that is at least as heavy-duty/thick as a laundry detergent bottle or a bleach bottle, and make sure it has a water-tight, screw-top cover.

How big are your batches? I ask because it's interesting that you get fumes when you add the extra water back in. I never, ever get fumes with mine, and it only warms up a little bit, just to slightly warmer than body temp. The largest batches I ever make are 4 lbs.

IrishLass :)

How big are your batches?

The masterbatch was 1lb of lye and 1lb of water. (I measured in grams)

My soap loaves are about 3lbs total, and I want to say that it's around 400g of water+lye? I might be misremembering that last one, I've got it all written down at home - and I'm at work atm.

The paint stirring buckets are 1 quart and my recipe lye water comes almost but not quite half way.

Clearly label and secure (lock up) dangerous items.

For sure! I live alone and am childless, and I still mark it all with "poison!" and "lye water" :)

Walmart sells a blue 7 gallon drinking water "Cubetainers".

oh thanks! If anyone has any suggestions for smaller containers.. though.. that'd be most welcome.

For travel, I buy smaller containers to use for mixing lye, and I think they would work for what you want. Go to the plastic containers aisle in Walmart and look for short beverage type containers that have a screw-on lid. The ones I get look like this, but it comes in at least two sizes. If your Walmart carries the smaller size that might work for you. Here is a smaller one.

When using 50/50 masterbatch I add the extra liquid I will need into the oils and just pour out 2 x's the amount of master batch needed for my lye requirement, since it is half the water and half lye. Doing it this way it will not react until you pour you lye solution into your water/liquid mix. I masterbatch around 3 gallons at a time and mark the bottles well. I would rather store gallons rather than individual amounts, besides, if you change an oil in your recipe add milks etc you will have to recalculate and your pre-measured may not work. My grandkids have grown up knowing big red x's are not to be touched and my 1 gallon detergent bottles have child proof tops. Masterbatched lye can last for years if kept tightly sealed.

The masterbatch was 1lb of lye and 1lb of water. (I measured in grams)

My soap loaves are about 3lbs total, and I want to say that it's around 400g of water+lye? I might be misremembering that last one, I've got it all written down at home - and I'm at work atm.

The paint stirring buckets are 1 quart and my recipe lye water comes almost but not quite half way.

For sure! I live alone and am childless, and I still mark it all with "poison!" and "lye water" :)

oh thanks! If anyone has any suggestions for smaller containers.. though.. that'd be most welcome.

What a funny coincidence. I’m moving into an apartment shortly and the neighbors can be a little difficult when it comes to mixing dangerous fuming stuff on the balcony. So I figured I’ll go to my parents farm nearby, master batch my lye, take it back to the apartment and keep soaping. But if it “refumes” then there was no point in doing so.

What a funny coincidence. I’m moving into an apartment shortly and the neighbors can be a little difficult when it comes to mixing dangerous fuming stuff on the balcony. So I figured I’ll go to my parents farm nearby, master batch my lye, take it back to the apartment and keep soaping. But if it “refumes” then there was no point in doing so.
I have been masterbatching lye for several years now and never have an issue with fumes. Who knows what the above issue was. It is so much faster to have lye masterbatched so you do not have to wait for the hot lye to cool down. I normally soap with the oils are just warm to the touch and room temp lye

Who knows what the above issue was.

Do you happen to work in an open space or a space that's well ventilated?

The fumes aren't as bad.. and the water doesn't heat up as much as it does when making it fresh. I can completely see anyone working in a big space not even noticing the renewed reaction.

However, it did get cloudy and went from about 68 degrees to 100 degrees just from adding the additional water and stirring. Maybe it's my lye. I use lye from ace hardware and distilled water.

Nao, I actually mix my lye water in my bathroom with the exhaust fan on and a desk fan tilted up. A tip I read from someone here! It works pretty well, although I have to make sure I lean away from the container when I stir it, or turn my head away because it's such a small space. I mostly try not to breathe for a minute! But I have asthma and I try not to aggravate it. :)

earlene put me on the right track! I ended up buying some 3.2 cup Rubbermaid TakeAlong containers! They're just like the glad/ziploc disposable bowls. They're all #5/PP. It was something like $3 for 4 containers+lids at walmart.

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back